What's new

November 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - headshave today

I will buy stuff in December this is a given so I’m preparing my own little Christmas list:

+) some hardware from the Captain incl. a copper bowl

+) strategic stock of Arko - don’t laugh - I’ll do the luxury version and will buy some 90gram pucks. Firstly the fit perfectly in my OS mug without any mushing/grating/etc. and secondly this year saw the demise of several tallow soaps (Vitos, Tabac, Speick) so why not keep some around. Turkey is not in the EU and if some funny legislation on the usage of beef tallow pops up it could go quick.

+) strategic stock of Palmolive sticks - they are discontinued but reliable, cheap and still somehow available

My original plan was to get either a stainless SE (Vector) or DE for year’s end. This is somehow still in my mind but not an urge. I might push this further into 2022 and spend the months in GRUME to get to know my current razors better.

Still in, finished trying out a Sharp Star blade today and will be trying another in my new FaTip Gentile Slant tomorrow.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins and Brimble Face Wash
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave oil
- TABAC Shaving Stick

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle & Black Pepper Aftershave balm

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo Gentile
- Sharp Star (4)
- Semogue Torga C5 Boar

Fragrance for the day:
- Floris 89 EDT

Still in - headshave today

I will buy stuff in December this is a given so I’m preparing my own little Christmas list:

+) some hardware from the Captain incl. a copper bowl

+) strategic stock of Arko - don’t laugh - I’ll do the luxury version and will buy some 90gram pucks. Firstly the fit perfectly in my OS mug without any mushing/grating/etc. and secondly this year saw the demise of several tallow soaps (Vitos, Tabac, Speick) so why not keep some around. Turkey is not in the EU and if some funny legislation on the usage of beef tallow pops up it could go quick.

+) strategic stock of Palmolive sticks - they are discontinued but reliable, cheap and still somehow available

My original plan was to get either a stainless SE (Vector) or DE for year’s end. This is somehow still in my mind but not an urge. I might push this further into 2022 and spend the months in GRUME to get to know my current razors better.
I hadn't heard about Vitos?! I know they now have a Vitos Vegetal Shaving Soap but I hadn't realised that they had discontinued their other soaps?

I hadn't heard about Vitos?! I know they now have a Vitos Vegetal Shaving Soap but I hadn't realised that they had discontinued their other soaps?
I bought a 100 gram tub from Connaught early 2021 and when I was trying to order again nobody in Europe had some (Connaught, G&C, Rasoigoodfellas, Dambiro, eBay).

I’m looking now for the better part of the year but nobody has it ever on stock. The same goes for their AS. It is really weird and shouldn’t be COVID related anymore. The new bricks are all veggie and the creams never had tallow (they work fine though).

I bought a 100 gram tub from Connaught early 2021 and when I was trying to order again nobody in Europe had some (Connaught, G&C, Rasoigoodfellas, Dambiro, eBay).

I’m looking now for the better part of the year but nobody has it ever on stock. The same goes for their AS. It is really weird and shouldn’t be COVID related anymore. The new bricks are all veggie and the creams never had tallow (they work fine though).

Not sure which one of the three bricks you are looking for, but Gifts and Care have the Green and Red "Extra Super" in stock, both of which are still listed as tallow. Maguire's Barber shop also has all three blocks on sale (Green, Red "Extra Super" and Red "Extra Super Coco".

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I ended October with a bang. I bought a Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic 10 days ago that washed me out of the GRUME and then last night I bought a Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP. @SharpieB made me do it. He really did. You don't believe me??? Ask him and see if he admits it. If he doesn't he's a liar. It's all his fault. At 4 AM I emailed Anna at Simpsons and asked her to cancel the order, but I haven't heard back yet. So I ended October with as close to a treewhale as you can get.

November's been a breeze thus far. I shaved with my red tip Super Speed, a GSB blade, a Truefitt & Hill size 1/1 Silvertip, Palmolive soap stick, green Aqua Velva Original Sport from exotic Ontario, and Irisch Moos EdT. Great shave.

Not sure which one of the three bricks you are looking for, but Gifts and Care have the Green and Red "Extra Super" in stock, both of which are still listed as tallow. Maguire's Barber shop also has all three blocks on sale (Green, Red "Extra Super" and Red "Extra Super Coco".
I was looking for the Extra Super Coco from an European vendor. Brexit sure is a hassle, but thanks for the heads up on Maguire‘s.

Ah, day 1. Giving myself some leeway this month. If anything I've been wanting for a while goes on sale, consider it a gift to myself for not buying anything since August so far :)

Turns out my morning shave is going to turn into an afternoon shave. Quick refresh to the edge on my T.I. is done, and just need to finish up some work before I get this 2 days growth off my face. Had a slow start this morning.

I ended October with a bang. I bought a Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic 10 days ago that washed me out of the GRUME and then last night I bought a Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP. @SharpieB made me do it. He really did. You don't believe me??? Ask him and see if he admits it. If he doesn't he's a liar. It's all his fault. At 4 AM I emailed Anna at Simpsons and asked her to cancel the order, but I haven't heard back yet. So I ended October with as close to a treewhale as you can get.

November's been a breeze thus far. I shaved with my red tip Super Speed, a GSB blade, a Truefitt & Hill size 1/1 Silvertip, Palmolive soap stick, green Aqua Velva Original Sport from exotic Ontario, and Irisch Moos EdT. Great shave.
I take full responsibility for spending Owen’s money.

I emailed Anna at 4:05am and told her not to listen to your late night ramblings and send TWO butterscotch Chubbys.

New month! I'm going to make it this time!

Blue Monday
IMG_20211101_123831__01.jpg

Preshave, Cream and Balm: Proraso Blue
Brush: Razorock Silvertip Chubby
Razor: RR BBS A
Blade: GSB

First shave of November in, BBS result using the Tatara Masamune and a fresh Feather blade. My goal for this month is to 3017 what’s left of La Toja, then to “attack” my A&E Kaizen and Zingari Man’s The Magician. Both are relatively new. If there’s a synthetic “soap-killer” brush that you can recommend, I’ll put on on my December 1st purchase list.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Revisor 6-0035 dressed in Novotel timber scale, face lathered with Palmolive cream using a Chinese guaranteed genuine pure best badger hair synthetic brush and finished off with a Bay Rum and witch hazel mix aftershave.

IMG_20211102_084502.jpg
The SR is resting on a kid-leather pouch that I made for it. A good 9/10 shave and again one of my best.

I will report back here next Sunday as to which of my two favoured razors win my most favoured.

Still in
Tonight’s shave
Pre-shave: Warm face wash
Razor: Rockwell 6S (5)
Blade: Gillette 7 o’clock Black
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Soap: SV Dolomiti 4,0
Post-Shave: Alum Block
SV Dolomiti AS Lotion

Good old SV. With the 6S + Gillette Black had a very enjoyable shave. BBS was the result. No irritation whatsoever. 1st shave of the month completed 😂😂

Day 1, 3.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Edition
Brush: Vulfix Simpson small synthetic
Razor: Rockwell 6S, R4, Vintage Personna Super Platinum Chrome #4
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Feeling half asleep, so chose the Rockwell for its autopilot capability. The blade was still good on its 4th use, and I'm liking SV's performance and scent.

Got a comfortable DFS result.

I ordered another synthetic brush in October, so there isn't anything currently on the wish-list to make me fail.

Still in and didn’t require a restock of anything. Used some favourites today to remind me I have plenty to keep me happy and don’t need anything for quite a while.

Razor: Blackland Vector Titanium
Blade: Feather Professional (1)
Brush: Paladin Samurai 26mm
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Seaworthy
Lather: Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre Splash

E399711C-BAF9-4E57-B571-20669599EAAA.jpeg

Top Bottom