What's new

November 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

I don’t mention my dad’s shaves but this morning is a little different. My dad has dementia and along with my mom has been living with us since the spring. Dad really hates electrics and multiblade carts. If he’s awake and coherent I shave him with an Astra SP and Feather AS-D2 and when he’s not I use a Sensor along with whatever software I use (except for the fart soap). By default he’s taking part in the GRUME along with me.

This morning he asked me to use that Italian green stuff. I honestly didn’t think he was with it enough to pick out stuff he likes. This is the first time he’s picked a preference other then no electric and no plastic. I ask him every time and he always says “You pick.” Proraso is the only Italian green stuff I have so today’s shave was:

Dad

Feather AS-D2
Astra SP (1 and done)
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green shave cream
Proraso Green AS
Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel

Me

Leaf w/Astra SP - head shave only
Supply Co Single Edge 2.0 w/Schick Krona - neck shave and beard edging
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green AS

Still in!
Razor: Maher & Grosh 5/8 quarter hollow
Brush: Grizzly Bay Iceberg 26mm
Soap: PAA Ck6 I Gingerbread Man
Aftershave: PAA I Gingerbread Man Star Jelly
Clean up: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Proguard
This razor is interesting, my only American blade. It was made about 20 miles from where I live/grew up. A wonderful shaver.
1122201551~2.jpg

Still in

I don’t mention my dad’s shaves but this morning is a little different. My dad has dementia and along with my mom has been living with us since the spring. Dad really hates electrics and multiblade carts. If he’s awake and coherent I shave him with an Astra SP and Feather AS-D2 and when he’s not I use a Sensor along with whatever software I use (except for the fart soap). By default he’s taking part in the GRUME along with me.

This morning he asked me to use that Italian green stuff. I honestly didn’t think he was with it enough to pick out stuff he likes. This is the first time he’s picked a preference other then no electric and no plastic. I ask him every time and he always says “You pick.” Proraso is the only Italian green stuff I have so today’s shave was:

Dad

Feather AS-D2
Astra SP (1 and done)
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green AS

Me

Leaf w/Astra SP - head shave only
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso Green AS
You are seriously one hell of a son. Living with a parent with dementia is tough. Good on you. 🙏

Bonus son of the year points for not using the farty soap on him. 😜

You are seriously one hell of a son. Living with a parent with dementia is tough. Good on you. [emoji120]

Bonus son of the year points for not using the farty soap on him. [emoji12]

Not really. I was a serious *** to my parents between 14 and 19 (when I joined the Army). I owe them.

The fart soap comment is legit though.

Edit: they actually blocked an abbreviation for an obscenity. I was a Piece Of S*** to my parents.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Gillette 'red tip' Super Speed, a new Shark SS, Simpson m6 Manchurian, JM Fraser's cream, face lathered, and St John's Lime after shave. I'm really beginning to appreciate this little brush after 3 months of irregular use. The usual 1970s black handle Super Speed needs a cleaning, so it's been set aside for the time being. The red tip is a great little razor too. Don't tell the 70s razor this, but the red tip is actually a much better shaver than its younger brother from the 70s. Weighty and efficient. First use of St John's lime in many years. Goes really well with JM Fraser's.
Still in restraint.

Still hanging in there.

My lovely bride is giving the credit cards a workout and doing the best she can to spoil the kids like usual for Christmas this year. Any sizeable shaving purchases would be shot down for Littlest Pet Shop and LOL Suprise dolls for my daughter and computer and gaming stuff for the boys anyways. ☹️

I have my eye on a new Spiffo brush and a Simpsons or two but I will likely wait to Jan. Beyond that, I have too many blades, soaps, AS and razors and am pretty much set for the next decade.

Need vs. Want... Need is prevailing for a change. 👍

Still in

My head is still sore from the fart soap and the Astra SP so I decided to play a game. King C Gillette's are the most expensive blades I own. I also have some Gillette Platinum Blues and Gillette Platinum Whites (???Swedes???). I'm going to alternate shaves with them while using PAA CK-6 base soaps and see if I can tell the difference.

Leaf w/King C Gillette (1) - head shave only
Zenith MC/BO3-A26 boar
PAA Sangre De Drago CK-6
PAA Sangre De Drago AS
PAA Galactic Witch Hazel
Captain's Choice Copper and SB shave bowls

IMG_4424.jpeg

IMG_4425.jpeg

Still in

My head is still sore from the fart soap and the Astra SP so I decided to play a game. King C Gillette's are the most expensive blades I own. I also have some Gillette Platinum Blues and Gillette Platinum Whites (???Swedes???). I'm going to alternate shaves with them while using PAA CK-6 base soaps and see if I can tell the difference.

Leaf w/King C Gillette (1) - head shave only
Zenith MC/BO3-A26 boar
PAA Sangre De Drago CK-6
PAA Sangre De Drago AS
PAA Galactic Witch Hazel
Captain's Choice Copper and SB shave bowls

View attachment 1186152

View attachment 1186153

Good idea.

Today I grabbed 10 different types of blades, shuffled them like cards (while wrapped, of course... I ain’t that dense!) and picked one to shave with tomorrow. Gillette Sputnik it is. 👍

I also surprise myself by loading blades into my rarely used razors and putting them on the shelf for a while. A week or two later? Surprise! I never remember what blades I leave in razors and I get a blind blade test. I found out how good Dorco Primes are by doing this.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #8, GC.68, Astra SP #1
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Curiosity is a dangerous thing. Clicked on a link in an email from Italian Barber, and wondered if I would enjoy an open comb Game Changer.

On the other hand, I'm getting to like the GC.84 safety bar. At first, I was intimidated by a bigger blade gap than any of the Rockwell options, but it feels more like an R4 than R6.

Got closer to using the GC.84 on autopilot this time, with a good near-BBS.

Top Bottom