What's new

November 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Alright guys, it wasn't easy but I've passed on the Wolfman. Between my Timeless and Vector I've got my DE & SE needs well covered. In truth I'm more of a SR man these days. The Timeless and Vector haven't been used in months and serve mainly as travel razors now. There's really no need to add another expensive DE to the mix. The current ones work great and I'm unlikely use use the Wolfman enough to justify the expense. The only reason to get it would be to "complete the set" of high end DE's. That's a compelling reason but I'm determined to remain a user and not become a collector.

This is real progress for me. It's getting easier to pass on things now that I have just about everything shaving related that you can possibly have. At this stage new acquisitions tend to fall into the category of duplicates and back up items. It's a good thing there was an eight month cooling off period.
Good stuff!

It will be interesting to see how many of us fall off the wagon this GRUME when Black Friday sales hit. It will be hard for me to refuse buying that Simpsons brush I have been looking at for months @ 25-30% off!

Alright guys, it wasn't easy but I've passed on the Wolfman. Between my Timeless and Vector I've got my DE & SE needs well covered. In truth I'm more of a SR man these days. The Timeless and Vector haven't been used in months and serve mainly as travel razors now. There's really no need to add another expensive DE to the mix. The current ones work great and I'm unlikely use use the Wolfman enough to justify the expense. The only reason to get it would be to "complete the set" of high end DE's. That's a compelling reason but I'm determined to remain a user and not become a collector.

This is real progress for me. It's getting easier to pass on things now that I have just about everything shaving related that you can possibly have. At this stage new acquisitions tend to fall into the category of duplicates and back up items. It's a good thing there was an eight month cooling off period.
Well done! It certainly sounds that you've made massive progress in curbing RAD, getting to an understanding of your own need vs. want. :D

Still In!
Had a knockdown, drag out, face-off between my favorite single edges today. Blackland Vector vs Schick Type G vs Ever-Ready 1914. Unbelievably close, each razor performed incredibly in its own right. I enjoyed every second of my shave today, but the goal was to choose a travel razor. I did not succeed at that. They were all fantastic and would all be fantastic traveling companions, but I suppose I will have to push on toward that discovery. Nothing concrete determined today.

That being said, I am now of the opinion that everyone should try each of these. Of course, that helps no one in Grume.

Good luck Gents!

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: Rockwell 6S R4, Astra SP #10, GC.68, Astra SP #3
Post-shave: Brut AS, Nivea Balm.

Another near-BBS without trying too hard. I think "don't let perfect be the enemy of the good" applies to me.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Another Shark getting old in the Super Speed. Cycle of life, stainless steel style. Simpsons Duke 3 in Best, JM Fraser's cream, face lathered, and Booster Island Bay Rum to finish. A good Duke 3 in Best is as good as any badger brush ever made. The JM Fraser's is one of the best kept secrets of shaving. It isn't really perfumed, but the performance probably makes this the best cream I've used. Incredible value as well. It comes in a bass drum sized jar.
Still in.

Unfortunately, I'm out. I bought a straight razor and a strop. Good luck everyone! :001_smile
Well, you've had quite a run in the GRUMEs. I hope the SR is good to you - just take it slow and steady. As usual, I encourage you to play along at home for the rest of the month.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A - out (11/19: SR and strop)
4) @Owen Bawn
5) @SharpieB
6) @Schnitzel52
7) @Feynmansbongos
8) @Sinnbad11
9) @Roedeer
10) @mattps1
11) @SillyPancake
12 BigD - out (11/6: Yates razor)
13) chromedometone - out (11/12: Pre-War Tech)
14) @Contact_vs_Feedback
15) Kyle89 - out (11/7: Stirling soap)
16) @‘Bout Time
17) @Flintstone65
17.5) @Doti B
18) @ajduplessis
19) @Tomo
20) @henrickd

Still in

- Leaf w/Astra SP (1) - head shave
- Supply co Single Edge 2.0 w/NOS Schick Inj Krona - neck and beard edging
- Zenith Boar MC/BO3-A26-L (my favorite)
- Unknown soap received as a gift from my oldest daughter. She bought it in the US Pacific Northwest from an artisan soap shop (not just shave soaps). It came wrapped in wax paper, smells like a fart and is less slick.
- Pinaud Clubman as a reward for using the soap
- Thayers Witch Hazel

Unfortunately, I'm out. I bought a straight razor and a strop. Good luck everyone! :001_smile

Have fun with it, Sotiris. I'm too old, and (I think) a lot too dextral, otherwise I'd be thinking about trying it too.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #11, GC.68, Astra SP #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

I enjoyed the Game Changer .84 a whole lot more than I was expecting to, after about a week's time off with the Rockwell.

On the other hand, I couldn't find its autopilot setting, and wondered if it had one.

Last edited:
Still in

- Leaf w/Astra SP (1) - head shave
- Supply co Single Edge 2.0 w/NOS Schick Inj Krona - neck and beard edging
- Zenith Boar MC/BO3-A26-L (my favorite)
- Unknown soap received as a gift from my oldest daughter. She bought it in the US Pacific Northwest from an artisan soap shop (not just shave soaps). It came wrapped in wax paper, smells like a fart and is less slick.
- Pinaud Clubman as a reward for using the soap
- Thayers Witch Hazel

Farty soap. Sounds delightful!

Top Bottom