What's new

November 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

This restraint is for November 1-30, 2020.

If you're seeing this late and you've made no purchases in November, feel free to jump in. Registration closes on the 15th.

Have what you need and use what you have: that is our definition of "Restraint". The idea is to use, learn about and enjoy what you have, restraining yourself from making frivolous purchases. Ready to turn over a new leaf?

This monthly restraint is perfect for those who have failed the yearly or quarterly sabbatical and want to curb their ADs. Keep fighting the urges! If you fail out of the GRUME, please tell the group, take your (friendly) lumps and continue to play along at home.

There will be roll calls during the restraint. Check-ins, especially with SOTD info and pics, are encouraged and mutual support is appreciated. :)

All are welcome!

Rules:

1.a. If you were in the October GRUME, 11/1 is your restock date for any needed product (i.e., it's not an excuse for treewhaling).
1.b. If you were not in the October GRUME, you do not get a restock date in November; plan ahead and see 1.c., below.
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.

2. No personal shaving purchases in November. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). Members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return. Please use your best judgement. Also, no sampling/testing of those gift items.

3.a. GIFT cards (including eBay bucks, Amazon gift cards, credit card reward points, etc.) cannot be redeemed for shaving items, even if the cards were purchased and/or received in previous months.
3.b. The "Birthday Rule": Members are not allowed to ask (or even hint) for shaving gear as gifts for any occasion. This is especially important as the holidays approach!

4. Any shaving services, like replating or restorations, cannot be arranged or paid for in the month of the restraint.

5. Feel free to engage in trades (especially with each other), but don't enter any PIFs.

6. If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on the rules above.

Exceptions:

1. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game.)

2. During the season (now!), Sue Moore Items are all exempt from the-no buying rules. Treewhaling on anything Sue Moore-related is encouraged.

3. Members who are in a Quarterly or Yearly sabbatical are allowed to exercise their documented exceptions for those events without failing the monthly restraint.

Mods:

Please leave this thread in the General Shaving Discussion forum until November 15th so we can get as many as possible to see the GRUME. Afterwards, feel free to move the thread to Brotherhoods and Clubs. Thanks!

Tips:

Check out this Wiki article for tips on how to survive a Restraint (or GRUME). It includes a comprehensive checklist to help you figure out whether you've got everything you need for the month.
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Help:...ve_a_Restraint

How to Join:

Copy the entire list below
and add your number and name to the bottom. Also, you are welcome to update your signature to show you are in the restraint; for example, "GRUME - Month 2020 #1". To do so, click Settings at the top of the forum and then click Edit Signature on the left.

1) FoolishMortal
2)
3)

Good luck, all, and have fun!

This restraint is for November 1-30, 2020.

If you're seeing this late and you've made no purchases in November, feel free to jump in. Registration closes on the 15th.

Have what you need and use what you have: that is our definition of "Restraint". The idea is to use, learn about and enjoy what you have, restraining yourself from making frivolous purchases. Ready to turn over a new leaf?

This monthly restraint is perfect for those who have failed the yearly or quarterly sabbatical and want to curb their ADs. Keep fighting the urges! If you fail out of the GRUME, please tell the group, take your (friendly) lumps and continue to play along at home.

There will be roll calls during the restraint. Check-ins, especially with SOTD info and pics, are encouraged and mutual support is appreciated. :)

All are welcome!

Rules:

1.a. If you were in the October GRUME, 11/1 is your restock date for any needed product (i.e., it's not an excuse for treewhaling).
1.b. If you were not in the October GRUME, you do not get a restock date in November; plan ahead and see 1.c., below.
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.

2. No personal shaving purchases in November. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). Members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return. Please use your best judgement. Also, no sampling/testing of those gift items.

3.a. GIFT cards (including eBay bucks, Amazon gift cards, credit card reward points, etc.) cannot be redeemed for shaving items, even if the cards were purchased and/or received in previous months.
3.b. The "Birthday Rule": Members are not allowed to ask (or even hint) for shaving gear as gifts for any occasion. This is especially important as the holidays approach!

4. Any shaving services, like replating or restorations, cannot be arranged or paid for in the month of the restraint.

5. Feel free to engage in trades (especially with each other), but don't enter any PIFs.

6. If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on the rules above.

Exceptions:

1. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game.)

2. During the season (now!), Sue Moore Items are all exempt from the-no buying rules. Treewhaling on anything Sue Moore-related is encouraged.

3. Members who are in a Quarterly or Yearly sabbatical are allowed to exercise their documented exceptions for those events without failing the monthly restraint.

Mods:

Please leave this thread in the General Shaving Discussion forum until November 15th so we can get as many as possible to see the GRUME. Afterwards, feel free to move the thread to Brotherhoods and Clubs. Thanks!

Tips:

Check out this Wiki article for tips on how to survive a Restraint (or GRUME). It includes a comprehensive checklist to help you figure out whether you've got everything you need for the month.
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Help:...ve_a_Restraint

How to Join:

Copy the entire list below
and add your number and name to the bottom. Also, you are welcome to update your signature to show you are in the restraint; for example, "GRUME - Month 2020 #1". To do so, click Settings at the top of the forum and then click Edit Signature on the left.

1) FoolishMortal
2)
3)

Good luck, all, and have fun!
Add me to the list, thanks.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

I’m in. 3rd time is a charm! Plus I am broke after spending an unreasonably large amount of money in October after I was laughably ejected from October GRUME after only a few days.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB

I’m in. 3rd time is a charm! Plus I am broke after spending an unreasonably large amount of money in October after I was laughably ejected from October GRUME after only a few days.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52

Count me in

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
Hopefully with better results than last month, it was my first ever attempt and I only made it 7 days 😔.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
Hopefully with better results than last month, it was my first ever attempt and I only made it 7 days 😔.
Same here. 7 days and killed by a 6 pack of cheap St James of London soap. Damn you and your sexy scent, Sandalwood and Bergamot!

We got this in Nov. 👍

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
9) Roedeer

I seem to have fixed the razor, blade and even soap issues, so why not see if I can keep going?

Will try to restock 1st Nov with another Boots (Men-U) brush, to do the "use brushes alternate days" thing, as I don't like the Wilkinson one.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
9) Roedeer
10) mattps1

I've got a good chance of getting through November having failed in Sep and Oct months. 3rd time lucky?

) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
9) Roedeer
10) mattps1
11) SillyPancake

November is my BH month....so there is some temptation. But, my actual BH is on end of the month, so I can restock on December 1st.

In.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
9) Roedeer
10) mattps1
11) SillyPancake
12 BigD

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
9) Roedeer
10) mattps1
11) SillyPancake
12 BigD
13) chromedometone

I need this. I couldn't sleep last night. So of course, what do you when you can't sleep....Order $70 worth of soaps that I don't need but have been wanting to try from connaught.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
9) Roedeer
10) mattps1
11) SillyPancake
12 BigD
13) chromedometone

I need this. I couldn't sleep last night. So of course, what do you when you can't sleep....Order $70 worth of soaps that I don't need but have been wanting to try from connaught.
I have 800 razor blades in the mail. I’m with you!

Of course, if I live to 140, who’s laughing then? 🤪

I'm a beginner to proper DE shaving and I've already stocked up, but every SOTD, entices me to look for the cool looking soap, razor and honestly I need time to get better with the razors and blades I already have and not pile up.
Mail order from Italian Barber is on the way and it contains my first proper razor and shaving soaps.
I really need this program for my emotional and financial health.
Good luck to everyone.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
9) Roedeer
10) mattps1
11) SillyPancake
12 BigD
13) chromedometone
14) Contact_vs_Feedback

I'm a beginner to proper DE shaving and I've already stocked up, but every SOTD, entices me to look for the cool looking soap, razor and honestly I need time to get better with the razors and blades I already have and not pile up.
Mail order from Italian Barber is on the way and it contains my first proper razor and shaving soaps.
I really need this program for my emotional and financial health.
Good luck to everyone.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A
4) Owen Bawn
5) SharpieB
6) Schnitzel52
7) Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11
9) Roedeer
10) mattps1
11) SillyPancake
12 BigD
13) chromedometone
14) Contact_vs_Feedback
Welcome! If you need shaving advice, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Top Bottom