What's new

November 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

One day left. The weather is turning a corner down under and summer isn’t far away. Spending more time outside is making the GRUME easier.
Getting colder up here in the UK fella. I can still just about remember those sweltering summers dow under 😫😫😫😫

Going to sign up for the December GRUME as currently have 4 triple milled soaps in my rotation. D R Harris Windsor, SV Dolomiti 4.0, SV Felce 4.3 and MWF. That lot should keep me going for a good while
I should sign up as well. New GC kit in the post, so I ought to have plenty to keep me occupied, in December and after.

Going to sign up for the December GRUME as currently have 4 triple milled soaps in my rotation. D R Harris Windsor, SV Dolomiti 4.0, SV Felce 4.3 and MWF. That lot should keep me going for a good while. Then I have a shed load of other soaps to consider. If there is a restock date might have stock up on balms
You will probably get through 2021 with those.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Can't sleep, so after a couple hours of reading I think I'll see if shaving prepares me to sleep a few hours. We'll see...

Shark in the red tip Super Speed; Simpson M7 Best; Arko mashed in a mug; Gabels bay rum.
If I make it another 21.5 hours that'll be one more successful month in restraint. Thanks as always to @FoolishMortal for keeping these things running.

Just like that, out at the very end. I just offered to purchase a titanium blackbird, I was kicking myself after missing blacklands black Friday sale and put an offer in on the one up on BST.
I hope it's everything you want it to be! Feel free to finish out the month playing at home (and that's just today, so...).

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A - out (11/19: SR and strop)
4) @Owen Bawn
5) @SharpieB
6) @Schnitzel52
7) @Feynmansbongos
8) Sinnbad11 - out (11/28: Ti Blackbird)
9) Roedeer - out (11/25: GC plates)
10) @mattps1
11) SillyPancake - out (11/25: hinting - Clubman AS)
12) BigD - out (11/6: Yates razor)
13) chromedometone - out (11/12: Pre-War Tech)
14) @Contact_vs_Feedback
15) Kyle89 - out (11/7: Stirling soap)
16) @‘Bout Time
17) @Flintstone65
17.5) @Doti B
18) @ajduplessis
19) @Tomo
20) @henrickd

No December thread so far? Want to make up for the hiccup in November.
Was thinking the same fella. Haven’t made up my mind yet but as UK coming out of the EU any purchases I need to make from the EU will need to be done before 31st December 😫😫😫😫
Sorry. I work in ecommerce and this has been a very busy holiday season in a crazy year. I'll get the thread sorted soon.

Still in

I’m going to finish November, buy a puck of Williams just because I’ve never tried it, then roll into DecemBoar and leap into the December GRUME. If I make it through December I want to do the 2021 Sabbatical.

To paraphrase @Tomo from another thread, “My set up is perfect for me, no need for more stuff.”

Stay strong gentlemen.
To be clear, if you're rolling from one GRUME to another, your re-stock date for needed items is 12/1 (Rule 1.a.). Maybe you can trade for the Williams?
Going to sign up for the December GRUME as currently have 4 triple milled soaps in my rotation. D R Harris Windsor, SV Dolomiti 4.0, SV Felce 4.3 and MWF. That lot should keep me going for a good while. Then I have a shed load of other soaps to consider. If there is a restock date might have stock up on balms
Re-stock will be 12/1.
Will join December 2020 GRUME, see how far I can go. Madness has to stop, right ? It's ok if purchases (BF sale items) made in November arrive in December ?
Yes - you can't control the timing of the post, only the clicking of the Submit button.

Last edited:
The December thread is up. Sorry for the delay!

Yep, I considered my first GRUME a nail biter but a success. The hardest part was remembering to look at the rules every time the Good Idea Fairy popped into my head. Luckily more experienced heads kept me honest.

I’d like to thank everyone that took part in November. It was nice to see other people sharing the pain.

If I had to do it all over again I’m not sure I’d start my first GRUME in November though. That Black Friday through Cyber Monday truly sucked. At least I’m in mental shape for December.

I nearly made it. Sooooo close. I ran out of Thayers over the weekend and my wife grabbed a new bottle for me. I thought at first that I wouldn’t count it if I didn’t use it because I hadn’t asked for it. Alas this morning I felt like I really needed a toner so I opened it. Out on day 30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I nearly made it. Sooooo close. I ran out of Thayers over the weekend and my wife grabbed a new bottle for me. I thought at first that I wouldn’t count it if I didn’t use it because I hadn’t asked for it. Alas this morning I felt like I really needed a toner so I opened it. Out on day 30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, that has to hurt.

Still in, yay !
One of my first impulse purchase control successful month and I'm thankful for everyone for being fellow travellers in the GRUME.

Today's shave :
Razor : R41 Knock off
Brush : Local Synthetic
Pre shave oil : Sweet Almond oil
Cream : Park Avenue w/ Tea Tree Oil
Blade : Wilkinson Sword (1)
After shave : Old Spice Original

I'm becoming a fan of aggressive razor with combination of mild blades.
It was a simple 2 pass WTG, XTG and touch up but it was a surreal experience for me.
Old Spice didn't bite at all and I cannot remember if that happened ever.

I'll not be participating in December GRUME, as multiple purchases are on the cards.

My order from Italian Barber has yet to reach me (ordered in October) and Westcoast Shaving list is ready.

Good luck with your challenges and I'll meet you (and new people) in January 2021.

Top Bottom