What's new

November 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Shark SS in the red tip Super Speed; Duke 3 synthetic; Wilkinson Sword soap stick; Booster Polar Ice after shave. A simple and simply terrific shave. Still in restraint.

How are you lads going to deal with Black Friday's temptations? I'll be honest- the only thing that could tempt me would be something on the Simpsons' site, but it'd have to be something really special. I'm not buying something just because it is $125 off the standard price. That's been by M.O. for years- I was a sucker for a "good deal." But not this year. In fact, I really believe I'll make it through this weekend still in restraint, and for all the right reasons. Best of luck to each one of you. What are your plans?

I don't have that much interest in modern gear, I would have to see a crazy deal on a custom straight from an artisan to he heavily tempted. I've mostly settled on a favorite soap base and have many examples of that scent. I have favorite razors, none of which are modern. I also have some incredibly fine examples of hones, of which I also have a favorite. I doubt this weekend will be overly problematic for me.

Shark SS in the red tip Super Speed; Duke 3 synthetic; Wilkinson Sword soap stick; Booster Polar Ice after shave. A simple and simply terrific shave. Still in restraint.

How are you lads going to deal with Black Friday's temptations? I'll be honest- the only thing that could tempt me would be something on the Simpsons' site, but it'd have to be something really special. I'm not buying something just because it is $125 off the standard price. That's been by M.O. for years- I was a sucker for a "good deal." But not this year. In fact, I really believe I'll make it through this weekend still in restraint, and for all the right reasons. Best of luck to each one of you. What are your plans?
As of this morning the only B&B thread I'm following right now is this one. I was sorely tempted when I saw a post about a new injector razor and decided I needed to make a hard stop on browsing other forums in case I tripped across another Black Friday trap or cool new release. I'm avoiding personal email. One vendor managed to harvest my cell phone from a past order and I've requested a stop on those text messages. Yes, I'm sure I gave them permission to text me. It's kind of helped that we just finished our elections here in the US. I was already used to blocking and ignoring desperate incoming communications so I've just switched over to shaving stuff.

Finally, after today's shave I'm not going to shave until Sunday (I almost never skip shaving). My head is still a little tender from my Astra SP and fart soap so this may serve the dual purposes of letting my skin heal up and hopefully help me somehow not lust after that injector when I look at all of the nice kit I already own. I never understand my own psychology. I have very nice shaving gear but always want that one more stupid thing. The truth is I almost always use the same four razors even though I have another 40 to pick from.

I am out.
I may have hinted my lovely gf something about aftershave....and she bough Clubman Pinaud....my BD is on Friday, but hey ..goin to admit it now.
I respect your honesty. To be clear, though, did you say, "I like Clubman" and she bought some for you, or did you say, "I wouldn't mind if some Clubman showed up for my birthday"? One is an innocuous statement of preference, the other is a gifting hint.

I respect your honesty. To be clear, though, did you say, "I like Clubman" and she bought some for you, or did you say, "I wouldn't mind if some Clubman showed up for my birthday"? One is an innocuous statement of preference, the other is a gifting hint.
It was more along the lines: ,,I would want to try Clubman one day" so it was a hint (kind of). But personally I just feel bad about not admitting it.
Will be back in December folks.

It was more along the lines: ,,I would want to try Clubman one day" so it was a hint (kind of). But personally I just feel bad about not admitting it.
Will be back in December folks.
Well, this is why it's the Gentlemanly Restraint - you called yourself out and for that, you have my respect. I'll look forward to seeing you in December. In the meantime, please continue to play along at home.

A note regarding Pinaud Clubman: If you can, decant it into a suitable glass container. The scent will improve when it's out of the plastic.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Stuart Ganis
3) Sotiris_A - out (11/19: SR and strop)
4) @Owen Bawn
5) @SharpieB
6) @Schnitzel52
7) @Feynmansbongos
8) @Sinnbad11
9) @Roedeer
10) @mattps1
11) SillyPancake - out (11/25: hinting - Clubman AS)
12) BigD - out (11/6: Yates razor)
13) chromedometone - out (11/12: Pre-War Tech)
14) @Contact_vs_Feedback
15) Kyle89 - out (11/7: Stirling soap)
16) @‘Bout Time
17) @Flintstone65
17.5) @Doti B
18) @ajduplessis
19) @Tomo
20) @henrickd

I’m kind of amazed I’m still in .... but I am.

I’m not worried about this weekend. I never have been one to wait for a sale on something I want anyway. If I want it, I usually just get it. Retail. My wife just shakes her head. So this restraint has helped me be more deliberate about what I want, and this month I’ve been able to keep the wants on a list for later. They’ll wait.

The restraint will help me avoid a frivolous Black Friday purchase of something I don’t need or really want simply because it is a good deal. I’m glad for that. I’ve already looked over the Maggards sale items and although I could pick up a few things, I wont. Just don’t need or want them bad enough to override the restraint. Kind of optimistic I’ll make it this month ..... for the first time. Yay.

Decent, but not awesome shave today:
F03F7801-0C5D-45AC-A47A-D9262CA9D357.jpeg

Still in

Last shave until Sunday. First use of the KCG, Gillette Platinum White and Gillette Platinum Blue and I can’t tell any of them apart. I know people say the whites are better then the blues but for the first pass I couldn’t tell. I also will note the printing on the blade looks very similar quality wise and they’re in the same style of application.

On Sunday I’ll start the rotation two and see if I can tell the difference if my skin isn’t so tender. It might just be scalp skin isn’t as sensitive as face skin.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #10, GC.68, Astra SP #3
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

A good relaxing near-BBS.

It won't be long before I have to make a new Palmolive puck, but I have 2 sticks remaining. There isn't anything I need to get urgently.

Ok, FoolishMortal, I caved in to curiosity, and bought the Game Changer .68 open comb plate, and having disgraced myself that badly, I also got the .84 open comb.
I'm also holding the fort just barely. It is difficult for me because I'm in the initial stage of gathering shaving materials and apart from a few shave creams and blades (2 brand), I don't have anything.

But, this GRUME really helped me get the perspective of what I need vs want.
I'm determined to have the discipline till month end and by then, I'll have a list of items to order which I actually need.

I appreciate your gentleman-ship (?) to share with us your hiccups.

I'd really appreciate it if you can also share your opinion on which Game Changer OC plate will be suitable for daily shaves ?
Or SB will fare better ?

Hopefully I've not broken any rules. If I did it, I did so by mistake.
Take care everyone.

Top Bottom