What's new

November 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

Very nice shave. I was too busy yesterday so skipped a day. I haven't used a boar brush in a while and I'm out of practice. My lather looks lacking.

- Leaf w/BIC Chrome Platinum - head shave
- Supply co Single Edge 2.0 w/NOS Schick Inj Krona - neck and beard edging
- Zenith Boar MC/BO3-A26-L
- PAA Ciderhouse 5 CK-6
- PAA Ciderhouse 5 AS
- PAA Galactic Witch Hazel

Captain’s Choice copper and SB lather bowls

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4411.JPG

Still in.

Pulled out another Razorock soap puck today and the stuff ain’t bad for $3-4. I’ve used the blue and green in the last couple of days. Good lather from a super hard triple milled puck. The scents aren’t gonna blow your socks off but I bought a tester pack (4x3.5oz) a while back for travel and as I am not travelling anywhere, I figured I’d give them a whirl.

Also used my Simpsons Special Pure. Great little inexpensive brush. Really nice face lathering brush. 👍

On tomorrow’s menu is a new-ish Omega 1800 boar and Razorock gold or black. Gotta mix it up...

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: Rockwell 6S R4, Astra SP #9, GC.68, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Switched back to R4, and it worked just as well as R5 (with an Astra, anyway).

Instead of trying to get a perfect result, engaged autopilot, and got a relaxing near-BBS with no post-shave burn. There's a lot to be said for using familiar kit.

Last edited:
Still in, had a good shave with Gillette New RFB today. My second use of this item that I purchased earlier in the year, matched with a day-2 vintage Wilkinson blade. The blade feel much less forward compared razors I've been using recently (Rex, New Improved, New Deluxe). A few more shaves needed to nail the technique with this one...

Still in (I think)

Full disclosure. I decided that I needed a granite surface plate but I’m chalking this up as a general tool purchase. It will get used for lapping whetstones, among other things, and some of those whetstones will get used for honing razors. As it’s not shaving item as such am I fair to say this is allowed?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in (I think)

Full disclosure. I decided that I needed a granite surface plate but I’m chalking this up as a general tool purchase. It will get used for lapping whetstones, among other things, and some of those whetstones will get used for honing razors. As it’s not shaving item as such am I fair to say this is allowed?
Lap away, lad!

Still in.

The 2nd and quite easy goal of the month is to finish a sample of Dusy Kabinett I have. I've been having fun with it the last two days.

It is a soap that doesn't get much attention, so I thought of sharing some thoughts. It is a non-tallow soap that is supposed to be the successor of the Klar Kabinett. Discrete and subtle scent of rose, just enough to make the shave enjoyable and vanish afterwards. It lathers very easily and can take a bit of water, but it is certainly not a very thirsty soap. So far the optimum I got with badgers, boars and synthetics seems to be more creamy-slick than runny-slick. The post-shave is great for normal and oily skin, i.e. more powdery than moisturising. That said I don't feel any dryness. Overall, it is a nice soap and if you like rose scents it might be worth giving it a try.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (16)
  • Tabac!
  • SOC Taj handle boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
Another lovely shave today. Very easy, with all aspects of the kit performing as expected. Two days of whiskers gone with no nicks and zero indications of irritation. This is what shaving should be!

Still in (I think)

I think that if you're buying it to do a job, the majority of which is not shaving-related, and that job happens to have a benefit for shaving, too, that's fine. The reverse would not be okay. Only you know which side of the line this falls to.

This is awkward. On 04 April 2020 I signed up to the waiting list for a Wolfman Razor. I've now been told that they are ready to make it.

Alright guys, it wasn't easy but I've passed on the Wolfman. Between my Timeless and Vector I've got my DE & SE needs well covered. In truth I'm more of a SR man these days. The Timeless and Vector haven't been used in months and serve mainly as travel razors now. There's really no need to add another expensive DE to the mix. The current ones work great and I'm unlikely use use the Wolfman enough to justify the expense. The only reason to get it would be to "complete the set" of high end DE's. That's a compelling reason but I'm determined to remain a user and not become a collector.

This is real progress for me. It's getting easier to pass on things now that I have just about everything shaving related that you can possibly have. At this stage new acquisitions tend to fall into the category of duplicates and back up items. It's a good thing there was an eight month cooling off period.

Top Bottom