What's new

November 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Well done, Wtd1911! I like that you are using only what you need, no fancy extras since it's out-of-sight.

Thank you! I forgot about my razors! Drilled 3/4 inch holes in the top to hold 8 razors. So another 5 minutes of work. This picture is horrible! The shelf is perfectly level!
20191106_102833.jpg

The efficient/OCD part of me really digs the the parallel trim pieces to store tubs on their side--great organization idea and space saver. But my visual side wants to see the labels . . . eye candy and all that kinda stuff. Since yours is under the counter that's not necessary though. Pretty dang good for 25 minutes of work.

I only have 3 tubs without side labels. I'll use a label maker. I couldn't see them anyway when they were stacked. I need to do the same with the aluminum bowls as well. Had to stain it. I'll go with a second coat later. Maybe.... the ply is so thin if I sand the spot between the rails with residual glue it will look stupid. The legs, I probably will.
20191106_112355.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Razor: Shavette Barber Pole
Blade: Shark Super Stainless Half Blades
Brush: RazoRock 400 Synthetic NOIR Plissoft
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap
Lather: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Aftershave: Avon Blend 7
Additional Care: Thayer's Witch Hazel

20191106_122109.jpg

Well, I broke the cup I soak my brush in because I have a unorganized under the sink storage. Too much stuff stacked. Wife said I could have a shelf in the bathroom closet for shave stuff. So I went out to the shop/garage and found some Oak ply and trim laying around. Thus it was 10 minutes of thought and 20 minutes of construction and 2 beers (I worked nights last night so its OK!) This is what I ended up with. Not bad for the material I had to work with. Nobody will see it. Now... to stain or not to stain tis the question. It's not gonna get wet. Brush gets dried on the sink. May just clear coat with Poly. I'll post pics when it is set on the existing wire shelf.
View attachment 1032414
Sorry about the cup, but I definitely want to see that shelf when the installation is done!

Today was a very good shave with EJ89 and Bolzano, first shave of the last Bolzano left. Bolzano pairs really nice with EJ, until now only Personna was the elevated one. Three day's growth in three passes. Alum was silent. I wish I could repeat this daily. Sticking to a particular gear does help.

SOTD
Face

Murkur Futur setting 3
Voskhod x1
Yaqi Moka Silvertip
B&M 42
Thayers Unscented WH

BBS 3 pass shave. O complaints.

20191106_170440.jpg

brandaves

Razor: Gillette New SC
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Ever-Ready C-40 Whipped Dog Synthetic
Lather: Arko

20191107_035823.jpg

Great shave today. The Gillette New is such a quick and easy shaver...not good for learning technique as it rarely makes you pay for your mistakes. Hadn't pulled out the Arko in a while. Great shave, BBS this morning. Have a great day all!

Razor: Gillette New SC
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Ever-Ready C-40 Whipped Dog Synthetic
Lather: Arko

View attachment 1032719

Great shave today. The Gillette New is such a quick and easy shaver...not good for learning technique as it rarely makes you pay for your mistakes. Hadn't pulled out the Arko in a while. Great shave, BBS this morning. Have a great day all!

Arko man is winking at me!

proxy.php

It looks like we have a new player!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @CzechCzar
3) @RTM
4) @GaryTha
5) @Schnitzel52
6) @Sotiris_A
7) @Rory1262
8) @pdieten
9) @brandaves
10) @kingfisher
11) @DEPenguin
12) @Wtd1911
13) @naughtilus
14) @RumpleBearskin
15) @Stuart Ganis
16) @sg01fc
17) @wmitchell

SOTD
  • Antica Barbiera Colla
  • Maggards 24mm Synthetic
  • RR Mission
  • Nacet (2)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Gentlemen's Grooming Black Pepper & Thistle ASB
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
Nice and easy. Quick shave today - just one buffing pass and out the door.

brandaves

Razor: Schick Injector Type G
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Deadpool Whipped Dog 30mm Badger
Lather: RazoRock Irish Countryside

20191108_090245.jpg

A really nice, mild and effective shave today. The Avon Blend 7 has got me on an Irish scent movement. I went with the RazoRock Irish Countryside today. A great lather, my only complaint is that I wish the scent was more prominent. It was very light. As I said though, the lather was excellent. I went with the Whipped Dog 30mm Badger in my avatar homemade handle. I overlook this brush too often, its sneaky good. There isn't much in the way of backbone, but enough to face lather. I of course scuttle lather but bolster that with a bit of face lathering before painting on. The Injector was a good choice today as I needed a razor that I was certain would provide a BBS with no irritation. I'm in dress uniform today for my daughter's school's Veterans Day observance. I wanted to look sharp and irritation isn't part of that program. If I didn't like changing my kit regularly then the injector would be darn near a daily driver. Avon Blend 7 again, I just really like its clean understated scent.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Schick Injector Type G
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Deadpool Whipped Dog 30mm Badger
Lather: RazoRock Irish Countryside

View attachment 1033067

A really nice, mild and effective shave today. The Avon Blend 7 has got me on an Irish scent movement. I went with the RazoRock Irish Countryside today. A great lather, my only complaint is that I wish the scent was more prominent. It was very light. As I said though, the lather was excellent. I went with the Whipped Dog 30mm Badger in my avatar homemade handle. I overlook this brush too often, its sneaky good. There isn't much in the way of backbone, but enough to face lather. I of course scuttle lather but bolster that with a bit of face lathering before painting on. The Injector was a good choice today as I needed a razor that I was certain would provide a BBS with no irritation. I'm in dress uniform today for my daughter's school's Veterans Day observance. I wanted to look sharp and irritation isn't part of that program. If I didn't like changing my kit regularly then the injector would be darn near a daily driver. Avon Blend 7 again, I just really like its clean understated scent.

Rating: 5 / 5
Great kit!

So... I added a brush rail this morning. This is NOT up to my standards of woodworking. (40 years of work) I call this prototype 1, its rough. Just using what Oak I have in the shop. I have version 2 in mind and a out in the open wall unit as well. The top should be Oak ply cut to shape on the top. Not the thick Oak it is. But this is what I had on hand. Nobody will see it, but will be replaced with version 2 after some use. This fits on a wire shelf in the bathroom closet. I will stock it again tonight to see results. I'm working with a 35 long 12 wide and 13 inch tall space.
20191108_094543.jpg

brandaves

Great kit!
Thank you sir! I really like your new den caddy. I hate how my soaps stack and I have to go through them to pick my poison for the day. I need to label them like you've suggested. Great set up.

I don't typically do a SOTD post, but for some reason I must say this morning's was borderline sublime:

Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Croma Diamant (trial blade--like it so far)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm badger
Soap/Cream: Col. Conk Rio Grande Lavender (got an insane amount of lather with that Yaqi brush!)
Post-Rinse splash: Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Cremo Face Balm (no scent, so the lavender gets to hang around a bit longer)

I'll make it through November without breaking a sweat :thumbup1:

Top Bottom