What's new

November 14 update

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
The Jade is beautiful. I got a brush (Falstaff 24mm) from the batch earlier this month in Jade and it's absolutely outstanding. Nice backbone, excellent softness with zero scritch. Just an absolute joy to use every day. The work on the handle is excellent and the knot is as close to perfect as I've experienced thus far. I do wish the Falstaff handle was slightly larger but I do like it better than the Shavemac 2 band silvertip that was the brush I reached for most often before this one arrived.

Thanks, David. In case you're interested, the story behind the Falstaff is described here and here. The 24 mm handle's size in relation to its knot is basically derivative. If you want a larger handle, maybe think about trying the 26 mm version. It's one of the brushes in my small rotation, and I remember Lee Sabini telling me several times that an Ivory 26 mm Falstaff I gave him had become his favorite brush.

I like the 24 mm Falstaff, but it's a little small for me too.

I tried to suggest it on another forum - any chance we will see a larger (26mm) Sumo in the future Ken? I really adore the shape, but am certain it would be to small for my paws in the current form...

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I tried to suggest it on another forum - any chance we will see a larger (26mm) Sumo in the future Ken? I really adore the shape, but am certain it would be to small for my paws in the current form...

The Sumo is surprisingly ergonomic for me in the 24 mm size. FWIW, we can't use standard 39 mm diameter rod (which works for Chiefs and PK-47s) to turn 24 mm Sumos. That said, I wrote a program for 26 mm Sumo, and we've turned and knotted at least a couple. I know there is a Kansas - City London 26 mm Disco Sumo and also one with a tortoise handle. Those went over to Lee for knots and came back along with the TSN LE handles. I'm not sure why we haven't made any more of them. For one thing, they take 45 mm rod.

Sorry if I missed replying to you on another forum. For various reasons, I've cut way back on the time I spend on the boards. But if I could get discussion going here again, I'd really like to engage more on B&B. This is where I started, and it still feels like home.

Thanks for the question.

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise
Hopefully there will eventually be a time when one can go to the website and order a brush. Many of us simply cannot sit by a computer and wait for a designated time to place an order.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Hopefully there will eventually be a time when one can go to the website and order a brush. Many of us simply cannot sit by a computer and wait for a designated time to place an order.

It isn't that we disrespect the value on anyone else's time. We could put them up in bunches with no advance notice, or dribble them out randomly as we make them. Then we'd catch grief for expecting everyone to sit and wait by a computer 24/7 rather than at a designated time.

Our capacity is limited. What we presently do is egalitarian in the circumstances.

Last edited:
Well, glad to see you're doing well, Ken!

I should establish residence in the US to be able to catch one of those beauties...:laugh:

Keep up the good work!

My complacency made me forget about the release date. Next time. :)

Keep up the good work! Your brushes are gorgeous. People will always complain one way or another. Sad reality for the vendors nowadays.

strop

Now half as wise
I just read my post again. I shouldn't post when I have only very limited time and am trying to be succinct! Doesn't really read the way I wanted. My apologies. What I was hoping to convey, was that I was hoping for a time when most of the people would have what they wanted, so the window would last a little longer, and random visits to the site would see a few brushes for sale.

Well crap! I missed this! I subscribed to this forum not sure why I didn't get a notification.
Maybe next time!

The Sumo is surprisingly ergonomic for me in the 24 mm size. FWIW, we can't use standard 39 mm diameter rod (which works for Chiefs and PK-47s) to turn 24 mm Sumos. That said, I wrote a program for 26 mm Sumo, and we've turned and knotted at least a couple. I know there is a Kansas - City London 26 mm Disco Sumo and also one with a tortoise handle. Those went over to Lee for knots and came back along with the TSN LE handles. I'm not sure why we haven't made any more of them. For one thing, they take 45 mm rod.

Sorry if I missed replying to you on another forum. For various reasons, I've cut way back on the time I spend on the boards. But if I could get discussion going here again, I'd really like to engage more on B&B. This is where I started, and it still feels like home.

Thanks for the question.
No worries Ken - I didn't really want to push it, as I know how busy you are actually making your wonderful brushes...

That's great news, at least I have a reason to hold back on my next Paladin, until a larger Sumo (or some Ebonite handles) become available.

I also wanted to say this for a long time: your current way of releasing the brushes is really as good as it can be given the high demand and the limited output.

With the advance time notice and the pictures of what will be available, one has to waste minimal time in front of the screen refreshing a page...

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
What I was hoping to convey, was that I was hoping for a time when most of the people would have what they wanted, so the window would last a little longer, and random visits to the site would see a few brushes for sale.

Thanks for the post, Mark. We are too (hoping for a time...). And I think we're making progress in that direction even though it doesn't feel like it yet.

Just got two of these this past weekend. I put up the picture of them in the Butterscotch thread under the brushes forum. I'm blown away by these brushes which have quickly equaled my Shavemac 2-bands that I own. Paladin brushes are a must have for anyone that loves 2-band brushes and that soft, luxurious feel of badger, but with still enough backbone to face lather.

Top Bottom