What's new

Noticed something odd, again.

Of the boxed razor sets I have bought often the definite and strong scent of shaving product wafts out as soon as you open them. Weird thing is: They all smell exactly alike, like those shaving sticks that are always in the traveler tubes. No difference at all. What is up with that? Was there only one acceptable type of shaving soap/stick or do they all wind up smelling the same after decades? Have you guys noticed the same thing about these old sets?

Was going to post this to the soaps area of the forum but it looks like that is mostly for current products discussion.

Ok, I thought brush sniffing was a little off. Now you want me to go box sniffing? I only have one good candidate, a 37 Sheraton. And yes, I'll have to give it a sniff!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Before selling they get sprayed with "Old Box Smell" just as auto dealerships keep a can of "New Car Smell" on hand.

It's probably a similarity in soap base (e.g., Tallow) combined with a complete dissipation of whatever other fragrance may have been there.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Haven't noticed this. But I'm too busy trashing the box to get to the good stuff. Bad habit of throwing away boxes (recycling) guess I'd never be able to re sell.

It's probably a similarity in soap base (e.g., Tallow) combined with a complete dissipation of whatever other fragrance may have been there.

Bingo! I think you may have hit on the answer. It has to be the scent of tallow with remnants of fragrance. Today I opened a 20's set that has the usual tube of hard old soap and sure enough that is the smell I have been noticing. I suspect the fragrance was not that varied back then for men's shaving soaps either. They all smell the same not a trace (to my nose anyway) of any of the ingredients you find today to flavor our modern products like citrus, lemongrass, mint, etc.

Top Bottom