What's new

Notice with regard to brush scalping

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
[FONT=&amp][Just posted on our website]

We recently received a query via the contact form on this site with regard the upcoming release and our policy on multiple brush purchases. I recognized the name and email address as matching to an individual who has been re-selling Paladin shaving brushes on eBay at prices considerably higher than those we ask. My reply is pasted in below.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]We do not have a policy to limit purchases on our website to one brush; however, we regard with disfavor buyers who have taken advantage of our limited production by racing to purchase brushes from releases with an intent to re-offer them on eBay or elsewhere at large mark-ups. We believe in free-markets, but that's entirely beside my point.

We have maintained pricing at the same levels since last year, not because we're already living high-on-the-hog and don't care about improving returns on the time and money we put into making Paladin shaving brushes, but rather out of consideration for hopeful customers who have been waiting a long time to buy one.

It might look good for us when brushes we've made are being re-sold at very high prices, but it's not in keeping with our purpose and mission. In the future, if we identify transactions made by individuals who have been scalping at the expense of wet-shavers who want a Paladin shaving brush for personal use, we may cancel those transactions and issue refunds. I have discussed this with PayPal and confirmed its support.

I hope you will understand and respect our point of view in this.[/FONT]

https://www.paladinshaving.com/blogs/news/notice-with-regard-to-scalping

Last edited by a moderator:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
:thumbup1: Great job, Ken.

Hey, Jim, could you insert a space in my post between the introductory paragraph and the one that begins italics?

Good for you! I have zero respect for profiteers.

There is a line, although I'm not sure where or how best to draw it. I really don't have any issue with someone buying and trying a brush, then deciding to trade for something else in an arms-length transaction that reflects value based on scarcity. Is that different than selling the brush for 2X or more its original price and then buying some other coveted and comparably expensive brush or razor? Or what if the guy who swapped his grail razor for the brush (because you didn't have the cash he was asking for) then sells the brush for what the razor was worth?

This is what happens to a brain that went through law school. That was over 35 years ago, but you never fully recover.

In any case, my present focus is on habitual re-sellers who scalp on eBay. Intent is fairly obvious.

Last edited:
I have lots of respect for profiteers. I am one because I work at my job for a profit. I use the money to feed my family, support my chosen lifestyle, and save for the future when I won't be / can't work.

I don't really know anyone who is a not-for profit person.

YMMV.

There is a line, although I'm not sure where or how best to draw it. I really don't have any issue with someone buying and trying a brush, then deciding to trade for something else in an arms-length transaction that reflects value based on scarcity. Is that different than selling the brush for 2X or more its original price and then buying some other coveted and comparably expensive brush or razor? Or what if the guy who swapped his grail razor for the brush (because you didn't have the cash he was asking for) then sells the brush for what the razor was worth?

This is what happens to a brain that went through law school. That was over 35 years ago, but you never fully recover.

In any case, my present focus is on habitual re-sellers who scalp on eBay. Intent is fairly obvious.

My take is that you are drawing the line in the correct place. I have zero issue with people making a living but profiteering is a different animal. I'm used to seeing it with the limited release craft beer market or with ticket scalpers where people do essentially the same thing this person was attempting to do with your brushes. There are often significant asymmetries in information or access in these cases.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I have lots of respect for profiteers. I am one because I work at my job for a profit. I use the money to feed my family, support my chosen lifestyle, and save for the future when I won't be / can't work.

Just to be clear, I didn't intend any broadside with regard to profit-motive in a system of democratic capitalism. For us, this is about ethos, not economic theory or ideology.

Paladin Shaving is a business, and we operate with profit motive. But we're motivated more fundamentally by other factors, otherwise we'd go about making brushes very differently.

In a free market, freedom exists on both sides of a transaction. We simply reserve the right, as long as we own and possess a brush, to decide not to sell it to someone whose purpose is clearly to exploit scarcity and profit on our labor at the expense of customers who wish to buy and use our brushes in alignment with our purpose in making them. This doesn't involve any moral judgment. It's just a choice.

YMMV.

I don't disagree. But under a capitalistic system, Ken can decide who he wants to sell his brushes. I know of one vendor who won't sell any products to one person because this person wrote a critical review of his customer service. He could write his review and the vendor could choose not to sell to him.

I agree totally, Jim. Any producer of any product ought to be able to sell if to whomever he wants or doesn't. I can also understand Ken's consternation at those who buy his brushes only for re-sale.

I don't disagree. But under a capitalistic system, Ken can decide who he wants to sell his brushes. I know of one vendor who won't sell any products to one person because this person wrote a critical review of his customer service. He could write his review and the vendor could choose not to sell to him.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I agree totally, Jim. Any producer of any product ought to be able to sell if to whomever he wants or doesn't. I can also understand Ken's consternation at those who buy his brushes only for re-sale.

Thanks for the understanding.

Hell I think you're being too nice in your response! Blatant buying just to resell at a markup really chaps my hide, especially on products like yours where there are plenty of enthusiasts looking to get their hands on just one for the joy of using it.

I like the approach and applaud it. It's not going to stop those that are bound and determined as they'll just open a new ebay account or one that doesn't have a common name where you could easily figure it out. They could always have someone else sell it as well so where there's a will there's a way.

I do like that you're putting an effort forward and wish that some other vendors would do the same thing so that we could all have an opportunity to purchase and enjoy the products. If nothing else it does make a statement that might force some to think twice before buying things just to resell them.

as a proud owner of an m&f chief that was gifted to me, I support your stance on this, chief. your brushes are too sought after, and too beautiful to be just a way for some unscrupulous individuals to unfairly profit from your work

"What so profits a man that he win the world and lose his soul"? I'm a deathbed buddhist, met his holyness the Dalai Lama 3 times but could only recall a quote from some jewish rabbhi. Feeding one's family is one thing. Taking food, or any opportunity from another's is
greed.

Such activity would cease altogether if there were no one willing to buy these items at such ridiculous prices. Find yourself with $1000.00 or more worth of Paladin brushes sitting on your shelf which you purchased with the intent to re-sell at a huge profit. You will see what I mean. Same holds true with any commodity. I was lucky enough to score a Lotus on this last sale. Took a while, but patience is a virtue.

Sadly it seems there is always someone willing to take the plunge and pay more....welcome to the new "instant gratification society"...no one wants to wait for anything anymore and seem to be able to justify the extra cost.

Top Bottom