What's new

Nothing says Quality BBQ stops after July 4

July 6...so? Holidays are when YOU decide.
Starting with a fine hike through the Cherokee National Forest, followed by a relaxing recess along the Ocoee River (I felt like I was in a 1950’s beer commercial). Later a properly brined slab of St. Louis cut ribs and a bottle of Nashville’s finest. Yazoo Hop Perfect IPA. Yep, life can be good😉
9ADBA941-5395-4855-ACDA-E7811761B6CC.jpeg

8DF92437-C395-4740-8F3A-0958B3D9B197.jpeg

F76E6F87-78BC-405B-8514-45D62B7B70BC.jpeg

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1594076357687.png

Hey ... if you need a reason to bbq, how 'bout "I'm hungry".

Google says it should take me 7 hours to get there. Wrap up some ribs for me a put a few of those beers on ice.

July 6...so? Holidays are when YOU decide.
Starting with a fine hike through the Cherokee National Forest, followed by a relaxing recess along the Ocoee River (I felt like I was in a 1950’s beer commercial). Later a properly brined slab of St. Louis cut ribs and a bottle of Nashville’s finest. Yazoo Hop Perfect IPA. Yep, life can be good😉
View attachment 1122460

View attachment 1122461
View attachment 1122462
Nice pictures--I wholeheartedly endorse the St. Louis cut of ribs. I consistently get better results with them than I do babybacks. More meat, juicier, and seem to absorb more flavor from the rub and smoke. Although I cook up both, the preference is St. Louis cut at my place.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Nice stuff!

I rarely actually make my barbecue on holidays, anyhow, much less Independence Day. I do it all before, vacuum pack and freeze it, and then bring it back out on the holiday. I like to spend my holidays in leisure!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
+1 same here...unless maybe a smoked turkey. Even then I hate being under pressure. Before my wife's parents died I smoked a turkey 3 years in a row the day or weekend before Thanksgiving. It could have been over-smoked, under cooked or over cooked...they didn't care because they never had the chance to eat something like that otherwise. It always made me smile.

Miss you Bob and Carole.
Aaron

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
+1 same here...unless maybe a smoked turkey. Even then I hate being under pressure.

I'm with you on that. The only way I even consider doing anything that takes more that 2 or 3 hours on the day of (much less a holiday) is if we are to have it for supper. Since the big get-together always is lunch, I just let my brother smoke the turkey for the big day. He loves doing it, anyhow.

I do a couple turkeys when they go on sale for Thanksgiving. A little of what we don't eat that day goes in the fridge, and the rest gets vacuum packed and frozen. The carcasses go into the stock pot (except for the wings and drumsticks, which get frozen whole). In fact, I usually bring home the carcasses from family gatherings--more stock.

Top Bottom