What's new

Notes From The Edge

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Like Al, I think I can see it (the bow) in the spine.

Here's an idea. Heat it up and hammer it into shape. Now that's what I call rehab.

I've actually read of someone doing something of that sort with a vintage razor.

'Nother idea. Landfill.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm not sure why you want to fool around with the ZY and Gold Dollar razors, but it's really none of my business except for curiosity. Plenty of guys like to mess with them, but I don't quite get it. Of course, I have more than enough trouble with "good" razors.
I'm not entirely sure either.

Something about cheap minimalism.

I like stainless razors. I am fed up paying a premium for them. Wanted to see if I can get some inexpensive ones shaving well.

I've forgotten what you've done so far.
Synth bevel set, progression to 4K.
2 -3 rounds of coticule dilucote with coticules I haven't used in a long time. -it might be just that.

What about bread-knifing the edge and then doing the burr method of bevel setting? Generally if I'm getting nowhere fast it ends up being a bevel problem. I suspect that's been your experience and observation, too.

Seems extreme - but you know some of my best edges are on razors that I have bread-knifed.

Read yesterday of using the Washita as a bevel setter. I see no reason to think it wouldn't work.

Have used a vintage Washita / Soft Ark on other razors and I like them for bevel setters.

Using the Chosera 1K as a bevel setter and using the burr method I've sometimes had to do upwards of 400 strokes per side of the blade to get a good burr everywhere on the edge. However, once it's done you know you have a bevel.

It's not a lesson I've completely learned (I'm afraid), but if the bevel isn't right I've not gotten anywhere. I think you know this, too.

hmmm - The bevel past the usual tests. I was thinking that it was more to do with how well I was polishing the metal - which seems harder - after that point.

Could it be an angle issue as in the spine is too fat or too thin thus the angle of the bevel isn't going to be optimum?

THIS - is a very good point I shall measure if I can find my calipers.

Shaved with my Dovo Stainless Encina. Just stropped. Floris Elite soap. Cheapo Omega brush.

Lovely shave that contrasted with my recently honed razors. Good in itself but making me doubt my honing ability.

Need to sort out those ZYs, they are really annoying me. This weekend I will try a complete synth and paste progression.

Atoma 400 arrived today, so I can use that for lapping at the weekend.

Good point.
I don't have a convex bevel setter though, just the hard black Ark that I convexed myself.

Maybe I'll think of something, or just use it to wedge open doors.
You convexed a hard ark yourself? Nice one. That must have been murder.

A week of decent enough shaves from shave ready razors.

I rehoned the ZY. Discovered what was wrong. I had assumed that chinese stainless = hard, but I had ignored what the slurry was telling me as it turned black quicker than usual. I must have been creating a fin. I know, right, with a coticule? Shouldn't be possible.

I killed the edge.
Rehoned, slowing the dilution right down.
Mixed in a LOT of x strokes throughout the progression.

Low and behold, a good edge and face like a baby dolphin's bottom.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A week of decent enough shaves from shave ready razors.

I rehoned the ZY. Discovered what was wrong. I had assumed that chinese stainless = hard, but I had ignored what the slurry was telling me as it turned black quicker than usual. I must have been creating a fin. I know, right, with a coticule? Shouldn't be possible.

I killed the edge.
Rehoned, slowing the dilution right down.
Mixed in a LOT of x strokes throughout the progression.

Low and behold, a good edge and face like a baby dolphin's bottom.

Finally!

It has been an adventure with that razor. Glad it's sorted.

I wouldn't know a fin if I saw one. Glad you did.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In the dark!?!? With a straight !?!? That would all go horribly wrong for me.

Lather with imperial leather on a bog brush. Sever palm by holding razor at wrong end. Switch razor round to lacerate face. Generous splash of Domestos to finish.

Top Bottom