What's new

Notes From The Edge

View attachment 976568

I'm glad for your good news, Al! Huge for you, sir.

I have in my house two cast iron claw foot bathtubs. I guess I'll break them up with a sledgehammer and peddle the pieces as very expensive honing stones. I'll call them channats (get it?). I'll use the money to purchase "modern" bathtubs made of what? Fiberglass?

Never. Not in a million years.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Can I put my name down for a convex channat.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Can I put my name down for a convex channat.

To solve problems with demand there will be an email waiting list. Fees to get on the waiting list will be determined by auction (there will be a very high reserve of course, but we except to exceed the reserve by several orders of magnitude).

Convex is of course a custom extra.

So, yes, but...

In fairness, it has been imposed on me for the last couple of years, but following a long protracted and arduous battle, and the victorious overturning of a grossly unfair decision two days ago, I should be able to start living with a little more dignity. No more choosing whether to eat or put the heating on. The war isn't won, just the first battle, but in this case, that was the hardest (and most important) part.

I'll still not be spending any more on shaving though :lol:

In times gone by, I had a boat which cost me £3k a year in moorings and licenses, before I went anywhere or did anything to it. I also blew a three figure sum most months on pocket knives and multitools, or ancillary items. So yeah, I've had my spendy hobbies in the past. Shaving has always been a more simplistic activity for me though. Not through design, or necessity (until I got ill), but because it just felt right not to overcomplicate it, and I got a lost of satisfaction in getting great results without lavish products.

Thats excellent news there matey. :001_smile
So pleased for you. :a50:
Shame your a couple of hundred miles away or we could go out for a few pints to celebrate.

To solve problems with demand there will be an email waiting list. Fees to get on the waiting list will be determined by auction (there will be a very high reserve of course, but we except to exceed the reserve by several orders of magnitude).

So, yes, but...

Well, that blew that idea right out of the water :001_tt2:

So, yes, but...

Ahhhh... your typical Kickstarter experience then. :001_302:

To update... No shave all weekend until Sunday night. Then Mitchell's + Omega + Snailforge custom straihht.

An all time great shave. Made up for the rest of the week.

Tonight I shaved with the Artrazor that I honed on the vintage coticule with clock oil:
Notes From The Edge

All I did to prep tonight was to strop on canvas and leather.

I hadn't realised quite how sharp I had made this razor when I honed it last time. This was a razor I was going to get rid of before trying it on a coticule, because it was causing me far to much irritation even when sharpened up. But no way now. This oil / vintage-coticule edge is both sharp and soft. Fabulous.

Mitchell's again. I am getting lazy - it is such a good preshave as well. I use it as both.
2zr56u.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thats excellent news there matey. :001_smile
So pleased for you. :a50:
Shame your a couple of hundred miles away or we could go out for a few pints to celebrate.

Thanks Doug. Sadly I'm strictly no alcohol due to my migraine meds anyway :a36:

When the funds come through, I'm going to order a huge takeaway, which I haven't been able to do for many months, and gorge myself stupid :001_tt2: I might treat myself to a new pocket knife too, seeing as I'm down to my last 50 or so :laugh:

Thanks Doug. Sadly I'm strictly no alcohol due to my migraine meds anyway :a36:

When the funds come through, I'm going to order a huge takeaway, which I haven't been able to do for many months, and gorge myself stupid :001_tt2: I might treat myself to a new pocket knife too, seeing as I'm down to my last 50 or so :laugh:
HeHeHe, good one.

I've not had any alcohol since the Christmas hols.
Dunno why, just not interested any more.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
No alcohol in decades. Just decided one day it wasn't worth it. Don't miss it at all. I do drink the expensive European non-alcoholic beers some of which taste quite good these days. Also drink the best of the American light lager non-alcoholic beers which taste clean and refreshing. Most NA beers are worthless to horrible to worse than horrible, but some are good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

HeHeHe, good one.

I've not had any alcohol since the Christmas hols.
Dunno why, just not interested any more.

No alcohol in decades. Just decided one day it wasn't worth it. Don't miss it at all. I do drink the expensive European non-alcoholic beers some of which taste quite good these days. Also drink the best of the American light lager non-alcoholic beers which taste clean and refreshing. Most NA beers are worthless to horrible to worse than horrible, but some are good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I was about to say I haven't had any since the Eggnog at Christmas, but then remembered I had some with a few of my cigars. Probably will have wine once or twice before the eggnog this Christmas.

Very few beers do I like. Guinness is one of them.

I am fond of a drink but rarely. That is to say, I don't really feel the need and don't bother most of the time but am happy to drink pretty much anything when I do.

My great uncle used to say: everything in moderation, including moderation.

Happy shaves,

Jim
We have a lot of Beck's Blue around over here. It makes a nice soft drink in moderation but I can't drink much as the aftertaste builds up. Sometimes i will ask for half a pint of standard Beck's in a point glass and get a bottle of the blue to pour. The mixture is much nicer but lower on alcohol than a standard pint.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

Buckler's is my favorite of the ones I can find locally.

Some I have liked a huge amount have disappeared from the local market. This one though tastes more like beer than any other to my taste buds.

Top Bottom