What's new

Notes From The Edge

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'd bet on it yep. Try flexing the edge of a straight. It will take a lot more pressure to flex one than it will a DE blade. I know straights do flex too.

I've not tested the SR in that way, Mike, but I think you're right.

Still, the flex on a DE is bad (IMHO) while the flex of a hollow ground SR is good (IMHO). I some ways they're both blades, but in some ways they're pretty much apples and oranges.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Even if the thinner portion of the blade is the same ~.004" thick, I'd bet it's still stiffer than a DE blade because its quite likely better steel.

That would be difficult to measure though.

Some catching up to do...

Whilst travelling this week: Merkur Progress, Proraso sensitive, mini Omega boar. Nothing spectacular, except that I had forgotten how like the Parker Variant the Progress is. Despite this, I just don't like it as much. You can accuse me of liking shiny things. I don't think it's that though. I think it is just that the Variant is better balanced because of the weight of the handle.

Back home and I took out my Boker Elite straight razor. This is another razor that seems to take a pretty insane edge.

photostudio_1554659983385 (1).jpg

I love this razor - the modernist look shoulderless flowing lines, and the carbon fibre scales.

Mindful of my recent escapades with the Ed Brice Razors I thought I would follow the advice that someone suggested above, to tone down the edge with a coticule. (sorry, can't remember which of you fine fellows suggested it).

I took my noisy probable-La-Verte and used the Dr Matt technique to refinish the edge.

The result felt very safe, but cut very sharp. It was efficient but I felt I could take a few more liberties, as with a coticule edge.

Great shave in two passes. Maybe I took too many liberties because there was a little weeper on my left jaw line.

Yesterday, I was away from home again but took a straight, a coticule and a couple of travel strops.

I played around with the convex coticule from The Superior Shave, then stropped on FerOx and plain leather. The shave was OK. The razor dealt with my trouble spots, and over all it was good enough, but perhaps a let down after the previous day.

Today I scaled my first razor.

Now don't get excited. I used a Dovo kit and still managed to mess it up the first two times.

But in the end it turned out OK.

photostudio_1554659404423 (1).jpg

At least, according to what it says on the blade ...

I used @AimlessWanderer / @Somerled 's ring punch enforcer idea. The first attempt went wrong because I couldn't get the end washer over the pin, as a result of using the wrong jewelers anvil.

On the second attempt I managed to bend the pin inside the scales, and was too generous with the amount of pin I left to peen.

I guess you learn from your mistakes because the third try was much easier.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Today I scaled my first razor.

Now don't get excited. I used a Dovo kit and still managed to mess it up the first two times.

But in the end it turned out OK.

Chalk them up as valuable learning experience :D

I used @AimlessWanderer / @Somerled 's ring punch enforcer idea. The first attempt went wrong because I couldn't get the end washer over the pin, as a result of using the wrong jewelers anvil.

Sounds like you might have pushed the pin out of round when you cut it. Did you use nippers/wire cutters? Did you file the fash from the end after cutting?

On the second attempt I managed to bend the pin inside the scales, and was too generous with the amount of pin I left to peen.

I guess you learn from your mistakes because the third try was much easier.

Try this way.

• Cut the pin a little longer than you need, and clamp it in a soft jawed vice, with the ideal amount for peening above the jaws, then peen that end up with a ball pein hammer.
  • If you haven't got a soft jaw (no hardened teeth) vice, put the pin in a hammer drill chuck, with the same amount showing. Switch the hammer setting on, and holding the drill at a slight angle, "drill" the side cheek on a large hammer. With just enough pressure to get the hammer action to work, that will peen that end up perfectly! (hitting the hammer with the pin, instead of the pin with the hammer)
  • Take the pre-peened pin out, and build the razor up on it. Washer, scale, wedge/blade, and so on
  • When the last washer has been put on, get a steel washer the thickness of the pin length you want to leave. Drop that over the pin, and cut the pin flush to the top face of the washer.
  • Remove the washer, dress the end of the pin with a file, put the hole reinforcing stickers on, and you're all set to peen that last end.

@AimlessWanderer you are ingenious . Very clever . The Dovo kits come with one end of the pin pre-peened so I shouldn't have had the problems I had. I like your recommendation. I have some other razors to scale with raw materials and will play around with your suggestion for those. In fact I might buy some extra materials to experiment with some peening techniques.

The problem I had was getting the second washer on the pin because the outer Dovo washers don't fit like in most of the scaling videos.

I found a video on the Dovo kits where they used a jewelers anvil to force on the second washer by positioning the pin over a tight hole in it and tapping the other end with a hammer. I was clumsy and didn't hit the pin straight which bent it on the inside of the joint.

I used to be much more practically skilled but 20 years living in a small place with no room for a workshop, an office job and not much DIY to do has robbed me off the practical sense and dexterity. It's starting to return now that I am trying more projects but the learning curve is steeper compared with you guys who are cleverer at this stuff.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You give me far too much credit, my friend. :D It's hints and tips I've picked up from playing around with dismantling and reassembling Swiss army knives. The only discovery in there that's mine is the hammer drill. I was advised to grip a pin in a drill chuck and peen it with a hammer, as I didn't have a small vice at the time. I then thought, "I wonder if..." and tried the hammer setting, and it worked a treat.

Look what turned up yesterday!!

Doughandiwork.jpg

This beauty, which was re-scaled by @Somerled

Absolutely incredible craftsmanship from Doug. The scales are perfect.

Doug put an edge on. The challenge for me with Swedish steel is that too harsh / sharp and my skin is irritated. Too muted and the same happens.

I shaved this morning. I needn't have worried it was bang on the safe zone. 2 pass shave, no irritation.

Glad it arrived safely.

I'm pleased you got a good shave from it, because I was running out of time when I honed it and it ended up being a rush job.
Almost delayed posting the razor because it was bugging me I didn't put a good edge on it.
As you can see the bevel is tiny.

Anyway, happy you like it.
It's a thank you for the stones you gifted to me and the help you've given with coticules.
It's changed the way I hone, for the better.

I haven't been posting much of late because I started a new job a couple of weeks ago and that has been taking my attention away from the forum.

Over the Easter break I have been taking stock. Some recent posts made by people starting out with coticules reminded me that my other stones have fallen into neglect. Coticules were supposed to be a short distraction but they quickly turned into a whole rabbit warren of their own over the last nine months. I have tried all the techniques I can find described online each on at least a couple of razors and I am pretty confident about the edges I am getting. I would like to go back over all these techniques in a more systematic way.

Coticule Honing Plan

I have 10 coticules that are my core stones, out of which 7 are pretty standard and distinct in their own right.

1 La Petite Blanche Rectangle
2 La Grise Bout
3 "La Verte" Bout
4 Hybrid Les Latneuses Bout
5 La Grosse Jaune Rectangle
6 La Nouvelle Veine Bout
7 "Special" Size 9 Bout

A further three have something unique about them:

8 TSS Special Convex Bout
9 Soft La Grise Convex Rectangle
10 Vintage Rectangle

I intend run a set of experiments. For standard honing, I will use the 7 "standard" coticules.

Experiments:
Standard Dilucot (7 stones)
Standard Unicot (7 stones)
Oil progression (1 stones)
Synth, Coticule finish (7 stones)
Convex Coticule Only (2 stones)
Convex combination progression (1 stone)
------------------------
Total Experiments: 25

I am going to put aside 8 razors and alternate 4 razors with each set of tests. That is 25 x 4 razors, 100 honing tests to run on coticules. I'll probably introduce and swap different razors in and out so that no razor is getting too heavily honed.

That's the coticule plan. I think it will run longer than a year and / or I'll get bored at some point, but at least it will give me something to aim for.

British Naturals Honing Plan

I have rescaled 2 razors recently and have another two to work on. Reviewing these razors I realised that I've ended up with 8 vintage Sheffields. Good news because these Sheffield razors are my favourite. It got me thinking. Coticules have been a bigger distraction than I had intended. I have clearly spent too much on them. (See above) Time to rein things in a bit and to get back to my favourite stones - the British Naturals.

I've never really mastered the Llyn Idwal and I have a beautiful Charnley Forest that I haven't used nearly enough.

British Progressions:
Welsh Water (Mainly AJ hones + Gwespyr)
Welsh Oil (Dragon's Tongue, Purple Slate, Vintage Yellow Lake)
Scottish Standard (Dalmore Blue, Tam O' Shanter, Water of Ayr)
Scottish Odd Stones (Dalmore Yellow, Weird Dalmore Finisher)
British (Mixture of Welsh, Scots, English)

There are some experiments that I can do with these. In the past I have jumped from Dragon's Tongue to Charnley Forest. I have a couple of charnley Forests. I also think that running some oil progressions as worth while.

Lot's to try...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I haven't been posting much of late because I started a new job a couple of weeks ago and that has been taking my attention away from the forum.

Over the Easter break I have been taking stock. Some recent posts made by people starting out with coticules reminded me that my other stones have fallen into neglect. Coticules were supposed to be a short distraction but they quickly turned into a whole rabbit warren of their own over the last nine months. I have tried all the techniques I can find described online each on at least a couple of razors and I am pretty confident about the edges I am getting. I would like to go back over all these techniques in a more systematic way.

Coticule Honing Plan

I have 10 coticules that are my core stones, out of which 7 are pretty standard and distinct in their own right.

1 La Petite Blanche Rectangle
2 La Grise Bout
3 "La Verte" Bout
4 Hybrid Les Latneuses Bout
5 La Grosse Jaune Rectangle
6 La Nouvelle Veine Bout
7 "Special" Size 9 Bout

A further three have something unique about them:

8 TSS Special Convex Bout
9 Soft La Grise Convex Rectangle
10 Vintage Rectangle

I intend run a set of experiments. For standard honing, I will use the 7 "standard" coticules.

Experiments:
Standard Dilucot (7 stones)
Standard Unicot (7 stones)
Oil progression (1 stones)
Synth, Coticule finish (7 stones)
Convex Coticule Only (2 stones)
Convex combination progression (1 stone)
------------------------
Total Experiments: 25

I am going to put aside 8 razors and alternate 4 razors with each set of tests. That is 25 x 4 razors, 100 honing tests to run on coticules. I'll probably introduce and swap different razors in and out so that no razor is getting too heavily honed.

That's the coticule plan. I think it will run longer than a year and / or I'll get bored at some point, but at least it will give me something to aim for.

British Naturals Honing Plan

I have rescaled 2 razors recently and have another two to work on. Reviewing these razors I realised that I've ended up with 8 vintage Sheffields. Good news because these Sheffield razors are my favourite. It got me thinking. Coticules have been a bigger distraction than I had intended. I have clearly spent too much on them. (See above) Time to rein things in a bit and to get back to my favourite stones - the British Naturals.

I've never really mastered the Llyn Idwal and I have a beautiful Charnley Forest that I haven't used nearly enough.

British Progressions:
Welsh Water (Mainly AJ hones + Gwespyr)
Welsh Oil (Dragon's Tongue, Purple Slate, Vintage Yellow Lake)
Scottish Standard (Dalmore Blue, Tam O' Shanter, Water of Ayr)
Scottish Odd Stones (Dalmore Yellow, Weird Dalmore Finisher)
British (Mixture of Welsh, Scots, English)

There are some experiments that I can do with these. In the past I have jumped from Dragon's Tongue to Charnley Forest. I have a couple of charnley Forests. I also think that running some oil progressions as worth while.

Lot's to try...

I wish you a very long life. You're going to need it.

BOSC.2. Some are more chosen than others!.jpg

This is an amazing plan, just the part of it we're sure of, which tells me something I already suspected.

Congratulations.

I hope the new job is exactly to your liking, too. Amazing how work gets in the way of our other pursuits but I'm very glad to have a job. I love my work. I hope you do, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

First - good luck with the new job! :a14:
I was wondering why you'd gone quiet.

Going to look forward to your journey with these plans you have.
Your way more organised than me in respect of your stones.

Counted my stones yesterday and discovered I have more of them than razors. :001_rolle
Thats made me stop and think I'm heading in the wrong direction and need to address this by accuiring more razors asap.
With the exception of maybe a bigger coticule, I need to expand my razor collection massively.

Makes sense don't you think? Does to me :001_tt2:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
First - good luck with the new job! :a14:
I was wondering why you'd gone quiet.

Going to look forward to your journey with these plans you have.
Your way more organised than me in respect of your stones.

Counted my stones yesterday and discovered I have more of them than razors. :001_rolle
Thats made me stop and think I'm heading in the wrong direction and need to address this by accuiring more razors asap.
With the exception of maybe a bigger coticule, I need to expand my razor collection massively.

Makes sense don't you think? Does to me :001_tt2:

BOSC.2.FullyLogicalByBOSCStandards.jpg

Top Bottom