What's new

Notes From The Edge

Most the DE razors I own or have owned.
Let me see...

Feather AS-D2
Timeless Bronze. - sold
Gillette Superspeed flaretip Rocket.
Merkur Futur

I'm sure there are others. Never tried one in the Fatip.

I was pulling your leg a bit Al, but I am one of these people who happen to like Polsilvers a lot.
If I was to pickup one of my DE razors to shave with right now I would probably use a Polsilver before anything else.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Most the DE razors I own or have owned.
Let me see...

Feather AS-D2
Timeless Bronze. - sold
Gillette Superspeed flaretip Rocket.
Merkur Futur

I'm sure there are others. Never tried one in the Fatip.

I was pulling your leg a bit Al, but I am one of these people who happen to like Polsilvers a lot.
If I was to pickup one of my DE razors to shave with right now I would probably use a Polsilver before anything else.

Interesting...

I don't dispute that they're sharp and smooth, they just seemed too narrow for the razors I use, so they were always cutting high and dragging. Whether it is actually a width anomaly, or something else that doesn't work for me, I don't know.

If you'd have tried it in the Fatip Grunt, you might have ended up liking it :lol:

If you'd have tried it in the Fatip Grunt, you might have ended up liking it :lol:

To be honest, I'm not sure what blade I put in the fatip when I tried it just once.
It may have been a Polsilver. As soon as I started dragging the fatip across my face I knew it wasn't for me.
And that was that, end of my fatip journey.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
To be honest, I'm not sure what blade I put in the fatip when I tried it just once.
It may have been a Polsilver. As soon as I started dragging the fatip across my face I knew it wasn't for me.
And that was that, end of my fatip journey.

:lol:

I was close to giving up that quick too. I was just too stubborn and proud to let it go without getting at least one decent shave from it. :D

It may have been a Polsilver.
I love my Fatip OC.:001_smile Polsilver SIs are great blades, but my Fatip OC has been happy with ANY blade I've put in it so far.
upload_2019-1-5_14-25-36.png
:001_wub:

Just a minor hijack for you Seveneighth, to start the ball rolling. :wink2:

Hey Rave @Raven Koenes, Mike @Esox, Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers ... are you guys hiding in your own threads? :hand:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I love my Fatip OC.:001_smile Polsilver SIs are great blades, but my Fatip OC has been happy with ANY blade I've put in it so far.
View attachment 940863 :001_wub:

Hey Rave @Raven Koenes, Mike @Esox, Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers ... are you guys hiding in your own threads? :hand:
+1 on any blade in a Fatip. I find which ever blade I'm using in a Fatip, at any particular time, seems to be my favorite. Polsilver blades are no exception. Here's a short list of blades that have worked well in my Fatips; Polsilver, Gillette Yellow, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet, Derby Extra, Feather, Astra SP, Bolzano, Silverstar, Satinex 2000, Personna Labs, ...:001_tongu

Wow. I'm impressed the guide made a difference for such an experienced shave. I'm really glad to hear it worked for you.

Yes, it might be a little more choosy on blade. Whatever you do, don't try a Polsilver in that razor! It will feel like you're shaving with pliers. Or a very slowly used waxing strip. The Fatip is the only razor I've used that those blades didn't tug profusely in.

I think the Wilkinson Sword Classic is very similar in terms of giving you nothing, to less than nothing, with relation to blade exposure, and that's the razor I learned with. It took me a long time to learn to stop forcing it to work, and just let it work. Back then I didn't know of any other razor options, or where to get them either, so it was that razor or back to the cartridges which treated my face even worse. Many times I was tempted to attack it with some wet and dry, and give it a little tune up to let some more blade out. I have resisted so far though.

If the Mamba proves too particular, would that be an option? Is it stainless like the gamechanger, or plated? If stainless, you might be able to tweak it up a notch if you find it too restrictive on blade types, or the level of precision needed becomes too tedious.
Always learning...

And I'm gradually coming round to a lot of what you say especially on mild razors.

Have you ever tried the following:

Rockwell 6C or 6S
Gamechanger
Mamba

I'm interested in how you would approach the Rockwell or the Mamba. The Mamba for the reasons in my post above. The Rockwell because it's a lovely razor for riding the cap on the neck but in suspect you would take a different approach.

I started on a Wilkinson Sword Classic as well but maybe ever fully mastered it like you did. Haven't shaved with it in decades but it is still in my collection. Maybe I should have a mild March or something and try to refine my mild shaving technuque further. See if I can get the Wilkinson working.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
+1 on any blade in a Fatip. I find which ever blade I'm using in a Fatip, at any particular time, seems to be my favorite. Polsilver blades are no exception. Here's a short list of blades that have worked well in my Fatips; Polsilver, Gillette Yellow, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet, Derby Extra, Feather, Astra SP, Bolzano, Silverstar, Satinex 2000, Personna Labs, ...:001_tongu

A Feather or Gillette Yellow in a Fatip... *shudder* ... I think I'd rather shave with a stick blender :D

Just for the record.
And its a YMMV thing.
It's really only my humble opinion......

Polsilvers are the best DE blades ever made, bar none.

There, I said it. :a30:

Sorry Al :001_tt2:
I need to more systematically experiment with blades.

I like

Feathers
Kai
Derby Premium
Nacet
Personnas

I just don't have the patience to apply a system or stretch the lifetime out. My skin is very sensitive so if I push a blade too far, misery can quickly follow. It's one area where I'm happy to follow the advice of others.

However the experience with the Mamba had taught me that I should perhaps pay more attention.

View attachment 940863 :001_wub:

Interesting. I guess the Fatip is the antithesis of the Mamba in that it is a very flexible razor.

I'm thinking if I were to test blades and wanted to cover mild, mid, and aggressive then the Fatip would be the one I might choose for the mid range.

For mild perhaps, perhaps Edwin Jagger, and aggressive iKON Tech. That sounds like a reasonable approach.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Have you ever tried the following:

Rockwell 6C or 6S
Gamechanger
Mamba

No, none of those, mate. I've done very little exploration of different razors. I'm one of those weirdos who stops looking when he finds something that works :D

As I already get the shaves I want, new DE razors would mean "relearning" how to shave again, and adjust to the new angles and stuff, just to end up right back in the same place I was before. I don't mind doing that with different formats, which is why I got a straight, shavette, and the oddball SE razors, but haven't felt the need to explore DE further.

Quick summary:
I used the Wilkie for a couple of decades, got the Parker 22 Interceptor (recently PIfed), Jagger DE3D14 and Merkur 985 a few years ago to "upgrade", and the only DE I've bought since then is a birth year Gillette. Add in a Gillette Super Click I was gifted by Cal, and the Fatip I was gifted by Doug (both of which have been gifted on to others), and that's my entire DE experience. I genuinely don't feel the need for more than the four that remain, or to explore the DE world further.

In truth, I'm glad I'm not using the Wilkinson everyday anymore, as the others do make getting the desired results a lot easier. However, I'm really glad I learned with it and mastered it, and it does make for a great travel razor, as it only costs a fiver to replace if something happened to it. Another trick to try with it if you find yourself not quite getting the closeness you want, is slow down your stroke speed on the trouble areas. Sometimes the resulting change in the skin immediately ahead, can work to your advantage. Not one to try with a tired blade though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just for the record.
And its a YMMV thing.
It's really only my humble opinion......

Polsilvers are the best DE blades ever made, bar none.

There, I said it. :a30:

Sorry Al :001_tt2:

Apparently Al's atypical.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg
I've not tried every blade made, but I've tried a ton of them and none compare.

Boots.Red&Blaack.Paste.640.JPG

Well, that's not exactly true.

But, what is truth...

upload_2019-1-5_11-4-9.png

I think we've found it!

My wife and my wallet agree.

Happy shaves,

Jim

No, none of those, mate. I've done very little exploration of different razors. I'm one of those weirdos who stops looking when he finds something that works :D

As I already get the shaves I want, new DE razors would mean "relearning" how to shave again, and adjust to the new angles and stuff, just to end up right back in the same place I was before. I don't mind doing that with different formats, which is why I got a straight, shavette, and the oddball SE razors, but haven't felt the need to explore DE further.

Quick summary:
I used the Wilkie for a couple of decades, got the Parker 22 Interceptor (recently PIfed), Jagger DE3D14 and Merkur 985 a few years ago to "upgrade", and the only DE I've bought since then is a birth year Gillette. Add in a Gillette Super Click I was gifted by Cal, and the Fatip I was gifted by Doug (both of which have been gifted on to others), and that's my entire DE experience. I genuinely don't feel the need for more than the four that remain, or to explore the DE world further.

In truth, I'm glad I'm not using the Wilkinson everyday anymore, as the others do make getting the desired results a lot easier. However, I'm really glad I learned with it and mastered it, and it does make for a great travel razor, as it only costs a fiver to replace if something happened to it. Another trick to try with it if you find yourself not quite getting the closeness you want, is slow down your stroke speed on the trouble areas. Sometimes the resulting change in the skin immediately ahead, can work to your advantage. Not one to try with a tired blade though.

Not trying to convert you to a different razor. Genuinely interested in review of either of those because of your approach.

I found a vintage open comb of my Dad's in a cupboard not long into shaving that he no longer used and switched to that until almost three years ago when it got lost in a house move. Didn't realise there were other safety razors being made - or straight razors for that matter, or that there was such a thing as shaving forums or videos. I came across Edwin Jaggers on Amazon. Googled for a review and discovered the forums.

So like you I have stuck with the same razor for most of my life but unlike you I haven't kept up that minimalism of late, enjoying the variety that is out there. I've spent far too much over the last two years, and I think 2019 should be a year of reflection and consolidation... Maybe...

Another trick to try with it if you find yourself not quite getting the closeness you want, is slow down your stroke speed on the trouble areas. Sometimes the resulting change in the skin immediately ahead, can work to your advantage. Not one to try with a tired blade though.

Interesting - I'll try that and with the Rockwell.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not trying to convert you to a different razor. Genuinely interested in review of either of those because of your approach

Understood :thumbup1: While I haven't explored many DE razors, I haven't found one that I can't get the shave I want from. It's been more about whether I enjoy doing what's needed. That said, it's quite possible there's some razors out there that might frustrate my preferred handling.

I was offered a Gamechanger, but turned it down, as I didn't think the design would be conducive to my shaving style. I didn't want to start having to use a heavier handed approach with one razor, and risk having that creep into my handling of other razors, nor take it to then start regrinding and repolishing surfaces till I got what I need from it :D

I am underwhelmed by the Gamechanger. I thought it would be the stainless Edwin Jagger, but for me it is not.

Top Bottom