What's new

Notes From The Edge

The cardboard box was wrapped in plastic? Mine wasn't
The soap is inside. I'm not trying to pick holes. It's just that an angle to this minimalism is to see how eco I can be. I have done a lot of air travel for work in recent years. Air travel is the worst environmental hazard apparently. I'd like to reduce my carbon and plastic footprint at some point. If I could find a soap with no plastic packaging that works well for honing as well as a shaving soap that would be sweet.

Of course generally I am some way off. I am still using wet n dry paper. I believe silicon carbide is pretty unfriendly to the environment...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The soap is inside. I'm not trying to pick holes. It's just that an angle to this minimalism is to see how eco I can be. I have done a lot of air travel for work in recent years. Air travel is the worst environmental hazard apparently. I'd like to reduce my carbon and plastic footprint at some point. If I could find a soap with no plastic packaging that works well for honing as well as a shaving soap that would be sweet.

Of course generally I am some way off. I am still using wet n dry paper. I believe silicon carbide is pretty unfriendly to the environment...

Ahh, I haven't opened the box on my new one yet, and can't remember how the last one was wrapped :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

My Williams was just soap in a box. No plastic. Maybe that how they always do it. I don't know.

Frugal February shave #15

I took a day or so off shaving. Shave this morning with the thicker growth was excellent.

I am finding that the shave with the coticule requires a different technique. With a sharper edge I shave WTG / XTG. With the coticule I find I can and need to shave WTG / ATG. After having "thou shalt not shave against the grain" drummed into me I do feel a little uneasy. I'm not against shaving ATG but one of the things I like about straight shaving is not having to.

My Williams was just soap in a box. No plastic. Maybe that how they always do it. I don't know.

That's a point to Williams in the Williams Mitchell stand off.

proxy.php

Glycerine arrived today.
Made up a batch with water in the bottle I was using for the soapy water.

Just for testing purposes I took the Mule through a small progression. Dalmore Blue, Purple Slate, and finished with WoA using glycerine water mix all the way.

At first is was a bit thick, but straight away I could feel feedback.
Watered it down a bit more until I was happy with it.

Finished on the WoA and I could feel it sticking nicely.
I didn't trash the edge before I started because I just wanted to feel how the mixture worked with different stones.

I'm happy with this. Probably use my natural stones this way for the time being.
Mule is silly sharp now.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This thread got lost in my shuffle somehow. I never did read the first page either.

Just for the record.
And its a YMMV thing.
It's really only my humble opinion......

Polsilvers are the best DE blades ever made, bar none.

index.jpg

Glycerine arrived today.
Made up a batch with water in the bottle I was using for the soapy water.

Just for testing purposes I took the Mule through a small progression. Dalmore Blue, Purple Slate, and finished with WoA using glycerine water mix all the way.

At first is was a bit thick, but straight away I could feel feedback.
Watered it down a bit more until I was happy with it.

Finished on the WoA and I could feel it sticking nicely.
I didn't trash the edge before I started because I just wanted to feel how the mixture worked with different stones.

I'm happy with this. Probably use my natural stones this way for the time being.
Mule is silly sharp now.

Sounds like a win - I am pleased!

Frugal February shave #16? (I am losing track)

This was a one handed shave - the first with a unicot edge. 2 passes: WTG and ATG. The end result is very close and good. All things being even it seems that shaving dominant handed with a coticule edge gets me a very close shave. I think that is because:

a) I shaved one handed for way longer than I have ambidextrous
b) The forgiving edge from the coticule allows a little more leeway when attempting stupid angles to address the grain

The unicot edge was not so pleasant to shave with as the Dilucot one handed. And I even got into trouble at one point - almost a cut but got away with a weeper under my dominant side jaw line on the ATG pass. The whole thing was a bit of struggle truth be told. Perhaps I need more practice, or perhaps I should reserve the unicot edge for ambidextrous shaving.

Still... My face IS jolly smooth.

Frugal February shave #17

Another very close one handed shave. Unicot + dominant hand seems to be very efficient. Slight irritation to my left cheek. No burn, just slightly tender. Can't see anything wrong there.
Other than that - all good. Dench, one might even say.

Judi Dench is a good actress. Love her and Geoffrey Palmer in "As Time Goes By". Was interesting seeing them both in "Tomorrow Never Dies".

So what does Dench mean?

Top Bottom