What's new

Notes from a Newb

I've been using a DE Safety Razor for about ten years, but am just branching into the straight and shavette world. Recently I started using a shavette on my head. A few hard lessons learned.

1) Not all blades are created equal, and that goes for shavettes as well. After a few weeks of shaving with a Parker SRX, and thinking it was the blades I picked up an Irving Barber CO. and the difference was night and day. The Irving feels very intuitive, and the struggle I had finding the proper angle with the Parker disappeared. I use the Feather Pro in the Irving in case that helps anyone. Longtime Feather DE user, so I may try on of those as well.

2) I struggle with ambidexterity. I also struggle converting what I see in the mirror with what my hand is doing. If you can't see well, learn to shave by feel. Sometimes a textbook grip doesn't always work. When I used the textbook grips as a guideline and not a rule I gained a lot of confidence.

3) Pre-shave is a lot more important than I thought. Hot water isnt always available out of a tap here, so I've had to heat water in an electric kettle and microwave washcloths a few times. Worth the extra effort. **If anyone reading this has a preshave oil/soap/aftershave combo in the same scent please speak up. I'm on the hunt for a good combo.

4) No matter how confident you get, speed is the enemy. I apply this to my motorcycle as well. I've learned that if I'm feeling rushed, I just wait a day on the head.

After a week of looking like I took a shell of birdshot to the back of the head everything is healed and smooth. Even started attempting a bit of ATG the Irving handles so well. Looking forward to the advice this brings, and hope it helps someone.

I shave with a straight just if I’m feeling a little fancey and have the time.
so how long u have been shaving doesn’t matter at all. I have used tobs sandlewood pre shaves rather strong so I go for a dear barber pre shave (only good product they make )imo with the tobs sandlewood wood soap and works well they don’t get to overpowering in scent I use after shave post shave for a scent, I struggled with shavetts so I spent the 150 or so for a dovo and just went down that road I learned to straight befor I learned de.

Yeah everything I've read on here suggests learning straight first. Of course, I didn't find this until I started. Ordered a Boker last week, so hopefully that will be here next week sometime. Looking forward to experiencing the difference a straight can offer.

I think you will find it better, I recommend you get more then one strop just cheap ones you will cut them to ribbons. I have and I think all of us have at one point or another I think the biggest pain well for me was stroping but once you get that down you set. If you need any info on straights @Slash McCoy will be a great help I consider him the expert of straights.

Thanks for sharing!!

Great lessons! I also had to learn the point that, ‘Speed kills!’ Again, and again!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom