What's new

Note on Gillette Guard Angle

When I first got the Gillette Guard I thought it was too mild and didn't cut well at all. Then I realized my mistake. I was making skin contact with the open comb, instead of the blade. I raised the handle a little and made sure that the plastic area above the blade and the blade were pressed directly against the skin and hair and then I got a very decent shave. So, if your impression is that it's too mild, try changing the angle to make the blade and above-blade area flush with the skin, which slightly lifts the open comb part.

It's not what I call a mild razor. Blade is pretty sharp. I don't pay much attention when using it, but I've never had a bad shave so far. I like it.

Yes, it needs a little pressure as do all cartridge/disposables and that is where you can quickly get into trouble by cutting the hair too short = ingrown hairs. Be careful.

From the moment I put the Guard to my face, I fell in love with it. I`ve been wet shaving over 60 years (I`m 83), IMO there is no way you can get the angle wrong, it swings freely on pivots so all you need to do is put to your face with just a little pressure, it goes flat to your skin at 25 degrees. At least it does for me, Bill.

From the moment I put the Guard to my face, I fell in love with it. I`ve been wet shaving over 60 years (I`m 83), IMO there is no way you can get the angle wrong, it swings freely on pivots so all you need to do is put to your face with just a little pressure, it goes flat to your skin at 25 degrees. At least it does for me, Bill.

That's a pretty strong statement. Is this in comparison to a DE or just compared to other cartridge razors/disposables?

While I like the Guard better than any other cartridge/disposable that I have used, it can't hold a candle to my DE.

That's a pretty strong statement. Is this in comparison to a DE or just compared to other cartridge razors/disposables?

While I like the Guard better than any other cartridge/disposable that I have used, it can't hold a candle to my DE.
I have essential tremors, I take meds that give me about 20 mins. free shakes. Sometimes I will use a DE, or an injector, but really carefully, but always cut myself anyways. So to everything from a straight to a sharp rock. Bill

I have essential tremors, I take meds that give me about 20 mins. free shakes. Sometimes I will use a DE, or an injector, but really carefully, but always cut myself anyways. So to everything from a straight to a sharp rock. Bill

Ok, that makes sense. Sorry to hear about the tremors.

A while back I bought some Sensor Excel blades for my old handle to use a couple back and forth to compare with my guard. Now, as far as using a cartridge goes, I might do a shave a month at most, BUT for the times I do I have learned that somehow, for it's cost and build, the Guard gives me a better shave and actually lasts for 6 shaves vs the Excel at 4, for me.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.

I've only been at it about 35 years, but would agree with you 100% on the Guard. Great razor. I'll take it over DE anyday. Over my SE? No.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have a Gem Junior which is my favorite. I have a Razorock Hawk V2 and two Injectors. I would consider the Razorock and Injectors equals and the Gem is a little bit better than those.

Used this razor for the first time today. All I can say is, Wow!

I do enjoy shaving with my DE razors, And I don't think I could ever go back to cartridges. Still, this is the perfect travel razor. Cheap, efficient, single bladed ... So glad I finally tried it. Have two razors now with another two, and 15 extra blades on order.

At the rate I travel, this will last me a decade. Lol.

When I first got the Gillette Guard I thought it was too mild and didn't cut well at all. Then I realized my mistake. I was making skin contact with the open comb, instead of the blade. I raised the handle a little and made sure that the plastic area above the blade and the blade were pressed directly against the skin and hair and then I got a very decent shave. So, if your impression is that it's too mild, try changing the angle to make the blade and above-blade area flush with the skin, which slightly lifts the open comb part.

Turns out I was making the same mistake and your "ride the cap" advice works a treat. Thanks for the tip!

#1. When using this technique the Gillette Guard is an excellent razor and has become my go-to travel shaver.

Top Bottom