What's new

Not understanding any coolness factor with stubble

Keep in mind that typical men's magazines are not performing Gallup-level polling to come up with their ideas of what "women" prefer.

Most often, it's simply the feeling of one of the writers, who is most likely in his early to mid 20s, and has a close group of people he associates with regularly.
Have one of the guy's from the mail room write the article, and we might be stunned with the revelation that women prefer facial tattoos and eyebrow piercings.

There has been some actual "research" into the matter by pop science mags. (There was another recent thread here on that very study.) But judging from the overview (I was not privy to an extensive methodology section or able to view the raw data) it was a fairly poor study and the results wouldn't have any practical application, IMO.

You are right about the observations in the men's mags--little of it has to do with actual research. When it does, most of the writers have no idea what the data really mean or how they were derived. List articles are written mostly to be controversial and generate arguments/conversation. It's all about selling copies and ads.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
All these fads start by one person being lazy. If that one person happens to be a celebrity then the fad grows exponentially.

Or

Superstar wakes up late without time to shave before his on air interview. Bloggers blog about how sexy he looks in a days worth of dark stubble. Stubble is the new fad.

I believe the look is supposed to convey manliness or toughness or whatever, but guys with stubble just look like they came off a bender and need a shower and shave to me.

I think the latter is the intended conveyance. It's called rock and roll and I'm pretty sure it is here to stay.

Of course, I'm 61 years old, and I also hate Pearl Jam.

Dont feel bad, I'm 30 and I hate Pearl Jam too. More specifically, Eddie Vedders voice.

$14m88PQ.gif

After one day I hardly have any growth but I can't wait to shave it off. It's one thing if the person is on the way to a beard, that's understandable; but it's the bum fluff people that annoy me. People that have just made it out of school, need a job, and the first thing they do is stop shaving. I say this, but with the prices of new cartridges increasing all the time I can't blame them....Actually I can, they look ridiculous.

Ever see that capital one commercial where they have a beard growing contest? Skip to 0:25

I wish I could do this just so I could shave at will. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
For the first half of Skyfall, Bond had scruffy stubble. He was a loser, a drunk, a washout. Then he shaved and kicked everyone's ***.

Says it all.

I can hardly watch Jimmy Fallon now. What the heck is he doing!! It must be a stunt or lost bet I missed.

Ive been known to sport the stubble look but it's only because I'm to lazy to shave everyday.

Writers Guild is on strike again.
Last time they went on strike, most of the on-air hosts stopped shaving for the duration (I think Leno was the only one that didn't, but he also paid his staff out of pocket).

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Writers Guild is on strike again.
Last time they went on strike, most of the on-air hosts stopped shaving for the duration (I think Leno was the only one that didn't, but he also paid his staff out of pocket).

So they are doing it to support them I take it. I think it Jimmy's case it's going againt them. I can hardly look at the guy.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I call it the "Yasser Arafat Look". Most young people look at me funny and have no idea what I'm getting at. I'm getting old. :sad:

$tumblr_llqny2DyaU1qhlzujo1_400.jpg

I have to confess that I used to have a nearly 24/7 stubble :blushing:. This was mostly due to my hate of my fusion rasor, could only get a couple good shaves before it started getting irritating, so I was mostly using a trimmer. Even after aquiring a DE, sometimes with all the school, homework and job I just didnt have time to shave. Now on my summer session i shave daily :thumbup:.

And about those men mags, I've once read in 1 that a stubble makes you look more "manly" and women like that, and a month later they had another article saying a clean shaven guy looks like a guy that takes care of himself and women prefer that... I guess there isn't any studies or anything behind those findings.

I've once read in 1 that a stubble makes you look more "manly" and women like that, and a month later they had another article saying a clean shaven guy looks like a guy that takes care of himself and women prefer that... I guess there isn't any studies or anything behind those findings.

Au contraire mon frere: http://m.kissandtellus.com/

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 34
I remember when long hair, big bushy sideburns. rectangular glasses, and bell bottoms were in style.

Let's not forget those 4" platform "disco" shoes. Another "in thang" that is (thankfully) out now

The new "in" style is maintaining the look of not having shaved in 3 days (everyday)

Ai-ya, Mick. I was smack dab in the middle of all that stuff...although I never did wear the disco shoes. :a52:

I think well-maintained stubble can look good.

There is, however, a vast chasm of difference between well maintained stubble and the 'I couldn't be bothered to shave for the last few days' look.

My facial hair isn't dense enough, so if I skip a shave I just look like a mess. That's fine, and I prefer to be clean shaven anyway.

Top Bottom