What's new

Not sure what I'm doing wrong ATG!

Long post, just go to the bottom for what I need help with. For a little background - I started wet-shaving around 2 months ago for the sole purpose of achieving BBS shaves. I just had my first daughter and I've really been enjoying snuggling her, her favorite spot in the whole world is either laying on my chest or snuggled up in my neck region - she's actually in the former while I'm writing this! I want to get a BBS every time since I started wet-shaving so she could hang out in her spot without running her hand over my face or rubbing her face against my neck and inevitably start crying when she feels the sharp stubble (to be fair, if someone touched my BBS face with coarse tiny needles I'd be crying too).

Before this, I used traditional barbers trimmers and would go WTG once and ATG once to get basically as smooth as a shave as you can get with a traditional cartridge with 0 irritation. I don't really have super sensitive skin, but I do have very coarse and thick beard hair. It doesn't grow very fast, but in terms of coarseness, it can't get much higher. I do want to mention before I go into detail about the issues I'm having; even though wet-shaving hurts my skin way more, is more expensive than how I used to shave, takes more time, and I'm not getting the results that I originally started the hobby - I think this will be how I shave for the long haul! It's absolutely the most relaxing and enjoyable part of my day in terms of me-time.

So as for my shave, I got a starter set from Maggard with their V3M head and using a tallow based soap. I got 25 blade samples and I'm working my way through them one new blade at a time (I don't use 2 new blades from the same pack, saving samples for any future new razors). Here is the list of the blades I have used:

BladeRazorClosenessComfort
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super StainlessV3M_MR1144
Derby Extra Super StainlessV3M_MR1162
Astra Superior PlatinumV3M_MR1176
Shark Super StainlessV3M_MR1167
Astra Superior PlatinumV3M_MR1194
VoskodV3M_MR1184
Rapira Super StainlessV3M_MR1188
featherV3M_MR1171

Anything with a closeness rating of 8, I got a BBS on cheeks. 9: got BBS on Cheeks and chin, haven't gotten it yet but 10 is BBS on Cheeks, chin, and neck.

My pre-shave: I always take a shower and I've tried 4 types of preshaves; Proraso pre-shave, Trumper skin food, my wife's leave-in conditioner, and baby oil. Surprisingly, the conditioner and baby oil perform the best! They don't really help me a ton though, I'll explain why in the shaving technique portion.

My lathering technique: I face lather. I load as much as I possibly can, add water, and check lather with brush by lightly slapping my face until peaks begin to form. At that point, I slow down and add 2 or 3 drops at a time until I get a very shiny look while maintaining the peaks. Once I have both of those, I've started to run my finger with medium pressure over where my sideburn ends to check slickness. I don't have anything to compare my lather to, but it feels very slick! almost like rubbing motor oil between your fingers.

My shave technique: First pass WTG, I've found that varying the V3M angle through the shave lets you adjust how close the blade gets to the skin. Because the razor is so mild, I basically go with the angle of blade contacting skin as perpendicular to your face as you can get for the first 2 passes (3 if I go 2 XTG). I get absolutely no irritation, but it's not very efficient. 2nd pass I go XTG, at first I did 90 degrees, but now I'm doing closer to 120 (if 180 is ATG). Again absolutely no irritation and it's closer to a smooth shave. After my second pass, I'm past the smoothness of any shave I've gotten before wet-shaving, but it's definitely not BBS! The first 3 or 4 days I did another XTG for 3rd pass, it helped remove some, but didn't improve overall smoothness much. Finally, I go ATG and start my postshave - detail on ATG at end of post.

My post-shave routine: I use an alum block all over my face and then a styptic pen to seal any weepers the alum didn't get (this is what I'm basing the comfort number in the table on) then apply Vikings sandalwood balm liberally.

When I go ATG, no matter how slick my lather is, no matter how sharp the blade is, I will get issues with skipping. I've tried adjusting the angle from more aggressive to tilting from the cap down until I make blade contact instead of the bar so the blade is cutting more up and down, and that helps the skipping, but increases tug and pull a lot. I've tried adding skin pulling to reduce razor tugging, and it helps marginally. Inevitably to help get through the hair, I'll start applying a bit more pressure and I think this is what creates irritation and nicks for me so I'm making a conscious effort to stop doing that. But then I end up with a very patchy end product due to the skipping. I have no clue what part of my routine or setup I need to improve upon to fix this, but it has been the case for literally every blade I've tried. I haven't even attempted to go ATG on my neck because of this. I do manage to achieve BBS in some cases at the end of the day (look above for 8s and 9s) but I'd like to fix this skipping/tugging and hope this helps improve both comfort and smoothness. Any suggestions would be really helpful!!!

Have you experimented with soap-to-water ratio? You might need a slicker consistency to reduce friction.

I can definitely try that - I'll probably just face lather 3 or 4 times with varying levels of soap/water and feel the slickness of the created lather. Thanks for the tip! In terms of lather technique I described, am I doing that right? I don't really have a goal of how good lather can get so I just try the tests I mentioned, but again establishing a good baseline may help alot

Nothing like a dad's love for his little girl, huh 😊

Long story short, you are doing EVERYTHING right, but there is a limitation to what can be achieved with a DE blade.

Apart from me having two sons and no daughters, shaving wise your story is my story. Been there, tried that, tried it all.

So, what to do, right?

Have a look at my signature, there you have it.

I know, I know... honing, stropping, stones, pastes, finishers, lapping plates, stones. A price too high for many.

Alternative?

Feather Artist Club SS, either folding or non-folding (my preference).

And there you have it. Nothing will give you a closer, smoother shave, apart from expertly honed traditional SR... or maybe even that won't beat the Feather AC.

Physics / science behind it?

The DE blade, no matter how sharp, lacks the rigidity and sturdiness needed to glide over skin without skipping. And it's the skipping that leaves the patchy stubble spots and causes irritation.

Have a great shave, have a great day! 😊

And there you have it. Nothing will give you a closer, smoother shave, apart from expertly honed traditional SR... or maybe even that won't beat the Feather AC.

This is a very interesting point. Like you said, not sure if I have the experience or comfortability yet to jump all in, but do you think SE razors that take Artist club blades would do the trick? Ex. the Blackland Vector

This is a very interesting point. Like you said, not sure if I have the experience or comfortability yet to jump all in, but do you think SE razors that take Artist club blades would do the trick? Ex. the Blackland Vector
Honestly IDK.

I don't like the appeal of SE razors, never used one, don't plan to.

What I do know is that at 47 I became totally convinced, some would say converted 😂

SR shaving does involve a LOT of extra time and gear, which is a deal breaker for a lot of people. Feather AC razor provides the smoothness and closeness of a wicked sharp edge and the convenience of a DE. Zero maintenance needed + unlike DE blades, these Professional blades can easily last for 8-12 3-pass shaves, some people report as many as 20.

For me getting the AC SS was the best purchasing decision, since I reverted to traditional wet shaving.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Skipping...?

Is the razor skipping? Can you feel the whole thing jump and judder? Lather, angle, and grip might need looking at.

Is it your face that's skipping? Have you tried pulling your skin taut with the free hand?

Is it just the blade that's skipping within the razor? If it's blade flex, then that head might not be the best match for your beard (I'm not familiar with V3M), and you might need to try another. If it's one of the first two, whole razor skipping, or skin skipping, they should be fixable with technique changes.

Skipping...?

Is the razor skipping? Can you feel the whole thing jump and judder? Lather, angle, and grip might need looking at.

Is it your face that's skipping? Have you tried pulling your skin taut with the free hand?

I'm not too sure whether its the razor or my face, what can I use as reference to know this for the future? I've tried skin pulling and it does help a little bit bit it feels like the blade catches on the hair. In terms of angle, I basically put the top cap on my face, and tilt the blade up until it is barely touching. So angle would be almost perpendicular to the hair its cutting and as close to parallel to skin as possible. This is the way I get the most comfort and doing it at a more aggressive angle makes it completely dig into my skin. The best way I can describe skipping is ill start the motion of trying to glide across my face and the blade almost trys to catch the hairs, fails to cut through then stops and bounces out of the hair and repeat. Idk if that made sense, but basically its impossible to try and glide with light pressure. I kind of get over this by basically buffing the entire time while I'm skin pulling but its just not a fun or comfortable experience.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That sounds like it's snatching, rather than skipping. Poor angle, with the blade too high off the skin. Firstly, as mentioned above, play around with the hydration to get the maximum slickness.

Secondly, read the first four posts of this thread.

That'll help get the blade working at the right height, so you're cutting where the hair is supported, and not "plucking" high. Those two, lather and angle, should make a significant difference. It might not fix everything immediately, but it will get you closer, and we can fine tune the rest later.

You should use short, quick strokes. Using long, gliding strokes is a habit often picked up from shaving with cartridge razors. Aim for somewhere between a neutral shaving angle and riding the cap for the ATG pass.

Some DE razors hold the blade more rigidly than others. For example, Gillette Tech, Gillette New, Fatip OC.

Don't try for "photogenic" lather. Make your lather very wet and slick. You don't need to plaster on a thick coating. Don't whip a bunch of air into the lather.

For my ATG passes, I find the chin to be the hardest part but my neck is usually easy to shave. I'd recommend riding the cap and using short strokes where you find the blade skipping.

It could also be that the V3M doesn't shave ATG well for you. When I tried V3M, I just didn't like the feel of it so I passed it on. Try couple other razors and see if that makes any difference. If that doesn't, it's probably more with your technique that needs to change/adjust.

Welcome to B&B.
I basically put the top cap on my face, and tilt the blade up until it is barely touching. So angle would be almost perpendicular to the hair its cutting and as close to parallel to skin as possible.
You just need that little more angle on the blade as the cutting edge needs to get closer to the skin; post #9 is saying the same but keep the strokes light. Have a look at this; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
Looks like Astra SP and Rapira SS are working the best for you with the Rapira SS coming out slightly ahead. Work on your technique with those two blades. I have not used that razor but it is very similar to the Gillette Tech and should give you a very close shave.
I find the Astra SP slightly better and a bit smoother tahn the Rapira SS.
You should note BBS only lasts a couple of hours.

Some great suggestions above!

I would add that an ATG pass is definitely not required. You might try two XTG passes in opposite directions (at 180 degree angles, for example nose-to-ear vs. ear-to-nose.)

Some great suggestions above!

I would add that an ATG pass is definitely not required. You might try two XTG passes in opposite directions (at 180 degree angles, for example nose-to-ear vs. ear-to-nose.)
Respectfully, going ATG is the only way to get that glass smooth BBS. It's just physics.

I think it's your razor. You've tried different blades, and a little bit of "technique" modifications; the only constant is your razor.

I think you might need a more aggressive chop or slice with your razor. Have you ever tried a slant bar? Some folks think they're gimmicks, but I think it can make a difference. Besides my Artist Club, I use Merkur's slant bar. I've had other DE razors, but they never could cut as close as the slant bar or my Artist Club. If the Maggard's razor you have has an interchangeable head, maybe throw a slant on there and see if it makes a difference? Let us know how it goes!

Don

Not just because I love it, but an OC slant Might be your answer.

BF1A6931-89D4-4339-8F4F-AE1F4A6CF024.jpeg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My first guess is always razor angle, as that takes a while to perfect - and I'm not sure that's not at least part of the problem.

It's possible you need a more aggressive razor. I've never had a blade skip on me, so I'm not really sure.

Pressure is never the answer (unless you like irritation). If you're using one of the sharper blades and you can't get the razor to stop skipping after experimenting with the razor angle I'd be inclined to suggest a different razor.

Nothing like a dad's love for his little girl, huh 😊

Long story short, you are doing EVERYTHING right, but there is a limitation to what can be achieved with a DE blade.

Apart from me having two sons and no daughters, shaving wise your story is my story. Been there, tried that, tried it all.

So, what to do, right?

Have a look at my signature, there you have it.

I know, I know... honing, stropping, stones, pastes, finishers, lapping plates, stones. A price too high for many.

Alternative?

Physics / science behind it?

The DE blade, no matter how sharp, lacks the rigidity and sturdiness needed to glide over skin without skipping. And it's the skipping that leaves the patchy stubble spots and causes irritation.

Have a great shave, have a great day! 😊
Geofatboy ends his videos with that last sentence!😀

Top Bottom