What's new

Not sure how to describe this, but...

As most of you know I own cart razors as well as safety razors. I do like to mix and match just for the sake of reviewing purposes.

When I am using a cart razor it does an acceptable job if Im going to work or visiting my mother-in-law. But when I use a safety razor such as my 39c Sledgehammer or Parker 22R Interceptor razor, the results are much more pleasing than the cart razors.

Not sure how to describe this, but is just something I wanted to mention.

Jason.

I think I know what you mean even though I have never used a cart. For me, there is something about rubbing my face after a shave and feeling like I haven't disturbed my skin, but the stubble is gone. I have always read that carts are at least somewhat uncomfortable and the results always somewhat short of expectations for how your face feels. It's either that or the carts are so much faster that it's over before you have time to relax and enjoy your shave!

I can get good shaves from cartridge razors. I started taking a look at DE razors to reduce waste and to stop paying such high per-cartridge prices. It took me a couple of months to get the hang of using a DE razor effectively, but once I did, I discovered two unforeseen benefits: No more clogging and a lot fewer ingrown hairs.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My cartridge/disposable razor days are long gone, but a good shave with a safety razor is night and day different from a good shave with a cartridge/disposable...so much better and closer with a safety razor.

Cheers! Happy Shaves!

Carts vs. DE?

Like most here, I can get a shave with either one, but...

Shaving with a cart is like hearing my favorite song on an AM radio. In the car. In traffic.

Using a DE is like listening to that same tune from a CD. Through audiophile-grade headphones. Sitting in my favorite chair. 🎧

As most of you know I own cart razors as well as safety razors. I do like to mix and match just for the sake of reviewing purposes.

When I am using a cart razor it does an acceptable job if Im going to work or visiting my mother-in-law. But when I use a safety razor such as my 39c Sledgehammer or Parker 22R Interceptor razor, the results are much more pleasing than the cart razors.

Jason.
I hear what you are saying @JasonJT

Just wait until you shave with a 1948 English Flat Bottom Tech using a Palmolive soap stick while listening to old recordings of Workers Playtime and wearing a string vest.

To get the full effect, have an unfiltered Players ciggie going in the ashtray on the side and a strong cup of tea so you can imbibe of both between passes.

Not only Pleasing, but pleasing and deeply immersive. You will be truly a shaving period history reenactor. Respect!!

I try to do stuff like that if I can depending on the vintage and props to hand, but it doesn't really fit into SOTD threads if you get my drift :wink2:

That's why I love vintages, you can use a 1948 piece of history in your routine daily life and get the joy of connection to the past.

Last edited:
I'm originally from Ukraine. When I left home very early morning on Feb 24, 2022 with my kids, it's needless to say that collecting my shaving equipment wasn't in my priority list at all.

The same evening we went to a local store in the western part of Ukraine to buy all the main essentials: toothbrushes, spare underwear, some meds etc, I picked a Gillette cart razor and a can of foam.
Of course it gave me ok shaves.

But it was one of the very few pleasant moments in 2022 when a month or so into the war I managed to get hold of my 100 pack Wilkinskn blades, Merkur razor and the brush that were left at home.

I truly believe that at that particular moment, when my family had to start in many things literally from the scratch, classic shaving routine allowed to me go get back to normal mentally in my head, even when I didn't need to go to work at all. Something from my “previous normal” life.

I had never been a big fan of cart razors and never used since around 2011. Butafter my latest experience, I believe they will always bring those memories of late February. Hopefully would never need to return back to them anymore

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Jason.

I know what you are experiencing because I used a cartridge razors for over 35+ years and what I found that the first shave with a fresh cartridge blade was the best when using my cartridge razors and then next shave seem never be as good as previous shave on the same blade and so on.
Now DE or SE shaving once you dial in your technique depending on razor being used the 1st shave can be stellar and the 2nd shave can sometimes be a even better shave because of the blade coatings wearing off a little to present a very sharp edge to snip whiskers more efficiently.
I'm not sure why Jason you even use a cartridge razor unless it is save a few minutes of time to get out the door.
If a person has his DE razor always ready not sure why a person could not use some shave gel and just use it and out the door in 5- 10 minutes with minimal clean up.
I was experimenting with just a lathered face years ago and once the face has been lathered with canned gel or foam on you can just pick area of the face and just shave ATG pass for about 4X4 inch area or Quadrant of beard area and with left hand with soap bring over the a little more lather from a area that has not been touched to rejuvenate skin and do another XTG pass and if needed add a little more lather to do touch up pass and move on to another 4X4 inch or quadrant patch and shave another spot with the same procedure until our beard is completed, it saves re-lathering for 2 steps using a brush method which saves time and no real cleanup if using canned products.

I know what you mean exactly, but with me it happens with DE razors and straights.

DE are fun but they are my daily drivers. Some of them are like a minivan: smooth ride and perfect for daily chores.

Some others like my slants and open combs are like pick up trucks: They are also fine daily drivers but they shine when heavy duty jobs are required like a more than a couple of days growth.

BUT THEN: I have my Straight Razors: Those are my super cars. Some are exotics and others are just speed rockets. They requiere a heightened level of respect and refinement, maintenance is much more delicate and need expertise. In the right hands they can take the curves but lack of skill will end in disaster. Plenty of fun but they are not exactly suited for grocery shopping. Those are for special occasions! Nothing compares to the drive of a well honed straight.

I know what you mean exactly, but with me it happens with DE razors and straights.

DE are fun but they are my daily drivers. Some of them are like a minivan: smooth ride and perfect for daily chores.

Some others like my slants and open combs are like pick up trucks: They are also fine daily drivers but they shine when heavy duty jobs are required like a more than a couple of days growth.

BUT THEN: I have my Straight Razors: Those are my super cars. Some are exotics and others are just speed rockets. They requiere a heightened level of respect and refinement, maintenance is much more delicate and need expertise. In the right hands they can take the curves but lack of skill will end in disaster. Plenty of fun but they are not exactly suited for grocery shopping. Those are for special occasions! Nothing compares to the drive of a well honed straight.
I give you SR users A LOT of credit for the time and money you put against these things.

I give you SR users A LOT of credit for the time and money you put against these things.
For me at the beginning it was more time than money. I though I knew how to sharpen them, but sharpening a Straight is a whole other animal compared to sharpening a knife or a garden tool. It teaches patience for sure. But is part of having a mind busy with something benign that gives me some peace and refines a skill.

But as to all the rabbit holes one can fall into in the shaving world, is definitely a dangerous one once you start wondering into stones and scales and different types of steel etc. Money starts to become an issue. So far I’ve kept it under control😎

Top Bottom