What's new

not sure about the white stitching on these black boots

I am a bit on the fence about these boots because of the white stitching.

My "old fogy" self would prefer black stitching.

Am I being too old fashioned?

Attachments

• $boots.jpg
    $boots.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 400
I like the contrast stiching

Then again, this is advice from a dude with Lightning McQueen as his avatar, so I might not be the best person to answer.

I don't like it, either. But get a bottle of Feibing's Leather dye in black, and you will soon have black stitching. Follow it up with a little black shoe cream or polish and they will leek like they were made that way. Feibing's dye will dye damn near ANYTHING black, including the welt (it will make the stitching much blacker than just using shoe cream), so be careful with it.

Nah, don't want to try to cover it up and run the risk of ending up with a mediocre job (i.e. if the stitching is on a material that doesn't take the dye evenly).

Its either live with the white, or pass on the boots.

Well a bit of Kiwi Guardsman and a few weeks I should imagine the white will be gone for good, the white probably has the life expectancy of a snowflake in hell in reality. The boots look good but I am with everybody else, the white is not a good look.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Most guys who buy boots with contrast stitching are far more worried about how to polish the boots without blackening the contrast into oblivion. :001_unsur

Go for them. They look great. Don't listen to the old dodgy fellows (if that list happens to include you, don't listen to yourself) and go for it.

My boots have yellow stitching ( Orig. Doc's made in UK) and I can tell you it will grow on you. Why be like everybody else?

Is there a neutral colored wax that could give the black leather a shine equal to black parade gloss wax?

Is there a neutral colored wax that could give the black leather a shine equal to black parade gloss wax?
Yep, made from pure unobtainium. Sorry for the sarcasm...I couldn't resist. Actually, the neutral polish is ok, but it does not give the depth of shine that coloured polish does.

I'm an old fart and it doesn't bother me.

The red laces on the AEs last week? That bothers me. Pants with no break and socks visible while standing? That bothers me. Celebrities who insist on retaining their Trilbys indoors? That bothers me unless it's part of a stage costume.

I'm an old fart and it doesn't bother me.

The red laces on the AEs last week? That bothers me. Pants with no break and socks visible while standing? That bothers me. Celebrities who insist on retaining their Trilbys indoors? That bothers me unless it's part of a stage costume.

Excellent!

The boots look fine. Those white stitches probably won't stay white for long anyway.

I am a bit on the fence about these boots because of the white stitching.

My "old fogy" self would prefer black stitching.

Am I being too old fashioned?

Can't understand why they put white stitching on boots and shoes. It just going to get dirty etc. Doesn't stop me from buying them. My solution is to get a permanent magic marker and blacken them out plus cover them with shoe polish.

Well, thank you all for your replies.

Decided to finally pass on the boots.

Talking yourself into not buying something is one thing, but talking yourself into buying something is another.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
We get so many opportunities to buy stuff ... that if the stuff under consideration isn't perfect for you, then it's best to pass and wait for the perfection coming sooner or later.

Amen. Always a) buy what you want, and b) buy quality - it doesn't cost, it pays to buy 1x. Do this and you will rarely have regrets - AND, if you decide you don't want you can always sell for decent money because you bought quality.

Nicely played, J Rog!
Cheers!

Top Bottom