What's new

Not So Newbie Check-In

Hello all, just a shout out to say good to be here, a wealth of information!

A bit of a background, I saw the light about 15 years ago when I purchased my first DE razor. Since that time I have been using it with the absolute rock bottom consumables, super market shaving cream and Astor blades and not think too much about it. In the meantime I never stopped to profess the virtues of old school razors vs the disposables. People thought I was weird :biggrin1:

Then the beard came... for about 5 years

I recently got introduced again, so to speak, to this hobby by a good fellow that accidentally opened a conversation with. Ends up he has been bitten by the bug and gave me a couple 5-packs of blades. The idea was to better use the DE to shape the beard.

Then the beard is gone :biggrin1:

Now don't get me wrong I love shaving, the preparation, the process, the results. Even in the army when everyone was moaning about daily shaving I would happily hack away with cold water and Bic disposables. Sometimes even twice a day. And nowadays it is even more enjoyable with the right hardware and consumables.

My conundrum remains though, and I would like to ask for the help of the good people here. In a poll after I got rid of the beard, ~80% of the answers (from the ladies too) was that I looked better with a beard. I like shaving though! I am sure some members have been in this situation... What should I do??

Anyone who can enjoy shaving with a Bic disposable twice a day really needs to be shaving :)

Life is too short. Enjoy the shaves if it brings you joy. Sounds to me like you can get the benefits of both by maintaining a goatee/Van Dyke.

lasta

Blade Biter
You have to balance your priorities. What looks good for the ladies, and what brings you more pleasure.

If you choose the second option, the next things you'll be worrying about is:
-Can I keep on shaving twice a day?
-Should I shave my head?
-Should I shave my legs?
-What else can I shave to feel the hair popping sensation again?

Sounds to me like you can get the benefits of both by maintaining a goatee/Van Dyke.

Unfortunately this won't work, I have a pretty round face shape and the beard improved it a lot. Babyface unfortunately.

You have to balance your priorities.

I think I've come up with a plan, shaving for a while then locking all the shaving paraphernalia away in storage, and hiding the key. Only shaving cream and a shavette allowed for shaping.

In the end it's down to my barber of many years, he has the experience. It's in his best interest to have a good looking customer and it's not that he will make any more money beard or not :001_cool:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Welcome! I get it, I kept a beard for decades. Still amazed that I really enjoy shaving every day, look forward to it even. I did not see that coming.

Hello all, just a shout out to say good to be here, a wealth of information!

A bit of a background, I saw the light about 15 years ago when I purchased my first DE razor. Since that time I have been using it with the absolute rock bottom consumables, super market shaving cream and Astor blades and not think too much about it. In the meantime I never stopped to profess the virtues of old school razors vs the disposables. People thought I was weird :biggrin1:

Then the beard came... for about 5 years

I recently got introduced again, so to speak, to this hobby by a good fellow that accidentally opened a conversation with. Ends up he has been bitten by the bug and gave me a couple 5-packs of blades. The idea was to better use the DE to shape the beard.

Then the beard is gone :biggrin1:

Now don't get me wrong I love shaving, the preparation, the process, the results. Even in the army when everyone was moaning about daily shaving I would happily hack away with cold water and Bic disposables. Sometimes even twice a day. And nowadays it is even more enjoyable with the right hardware and consumables.

My conundrum remains though, and I would like to ask for the help of the good people here. In a poll after I got rid of the beard, ~80% of the answers (from the ladies too) was that I looked better with a beard. I like shaving though! I am sure some members have been in this situation... What should I do??
I had a beard for a long time but I still shaved the bottom of it on my neck, my cheeks and under my lower lip. Think of Riker on Star Trek The Next Generation. Now I have a goatee or a circle beard if you will, so mustache growing down to my chin. I was surprised that by far most people didn't even notice. This also allows me to skip shaving my upper lip and chin, the two most challenging areas to shave while leaving me plenty of real estate to play with. Give it a shot and see if anyone notices. I wish I had the skills (and facial hair!) to groom a beard like the Game Master on The Hunger games movie. That was an impressive beard.

Welcome to B & B, enjoy! Regardless of how you solve your dilemma, I hope you’ll join in the conversations here.

I will sure try my best to be part of the conversations here. Unlike other forums things here are polite and civilized. It will help me keep my english skills too since it is a foreign language to me.

For now, thanks to my lurking, I am enjoying a new R41 and I tend to gravitate to feather blades. They just work for my hard mediterranean beard.

Top Bottom