What's new

Not much demand for Gillettes anymore?

I've noticed that demand/prices have gone down a bit. Oftentimes I'm the sole bidder on some very fine razors. I'm pretty sure the stainless steel razor craze has diverted interest from the vintage market.

If someone ever makes a perfect replica of a #58 or #66 handle in a two piece design. I might leave the vintage market too.

I spend far too much time on the bay, just ask my wife. I have not seen any decrease in overall prices of vintage razors and demand is still high. The popular razors (Fat boy, Aristocrat, President, Senator, Sheraton, Ranger Tech, Rocket) in reasonable condition still command higher prices 3 to 4 times what a 60s Super Speed does. Believe me when I say, I am dreaming of the day when demand goes down and I can get a President or Senator for $20 or less. Shipping on the other hand has gone through the roof. I have passed bidding on razors many times simply because the shipping cost is $7 or more. I agree there are many great new razors on the market and new ones coming out on a regular basis. It is a great time to be a DE user.
I don't know maybe you haven't gotten lucky? My US Aristocrat SB I got it for $35 shipped and they go usually go for 50-100, the Gibbs adjustable I got it for $50 and they go for 80-250, all the slims and fatboy they were like 25-35

My US Aristocrat SB I got it for $35 shipped and they go usually go for 50-100
I have seen some sold for $15. So your statement is untrue or incomplete.

Again, it's all about the condition with the vintage razors. So NO, demand/prices have NOT gone down.
Do not judge only by the poor conditioned Tech, SS, slim and FB that you see every day on eBay as the sample is insufficient!

I'm not talking about the prices only. I'm mainly talking about the demand, which is not the same comparing it to the demand for Gillettes four years ago. Also, if there were such a huge demand for these, why there are so many modern offerings at the moment? Huge demand for Gillettes should be an entry barrier for them.

I've had a fair collection of vintage Gillettes. I was lucky enough to find amazing items. I now have a very worthy collection of moderns. Things in forums were different in 2014-5. Don't judge by yourself, if you're a collector and spend hours on Ebay and other auction sites. I've been there too. Look at the whole picture.

Maybe alittle for the more available models like Super Speeds, Slim and Fatboys. But anything cased Excellent to Mint and/or British not so much.

Yep, I love vintage Gillette.

+1.+1.

I think it varies. It seems like the adjustables have peaked? - And the RFB’s are going up, I think. But as others have said in the thread, it really depends on the condition, great condition razors can really command high prices and they seem to be increasing, I see a lot of vintage razors north of 150USD on the bay, and more than a year ago. But on the other hand, a year ago my high-end RAD had not yet raised it’s scary head :w00t:...:001_tt1: So it might just be my perception...

Last edited:
A lot of gillette stuff is up atm. French de seem to have utterly crashed. The general trend with stuff like gillette de, Sheffield straight razors, etc tends to be up.

YMMV

While I have not picked up a vintage Gillette, I am still keeping a look out for some of the models.

I have zero interest in picking up an other modern razor (have one for travel).

So, my thoughts. This reminds me of another vintage market. At some point the available original articles are few and far between. What’s for sale are cast offs and mix and match.

Some sellers get by with mixing caps and such and selling their stuff at high prices. However, more knowledgable buyers aren’t fooled so prices come down.

I’ve noticed red tip Gillette were way down two weeks ago. I got one that was missing an end cap for $15 and another for $7. Several sold for $12-18. Now they are back up to $25 and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1.+1.

I think it varies. It seems like the adjustables have peaked? - And the RFB’s are going up, I think. But as others have said in the thread, it really depends on the condition, great condition razors can really command high prices and they seem to be increasing, I see a lot of vintage razors north of 150USD on the bay, and more than a year ago. But on the other hand, a year ago my high-end RAD had not yet raised it’s scary head :w00t:...:001_tt1: So it might just be my perception...

Just bought my first RFB. It was not cheap.

Just bought my first RFB. It was not cheap.

Define cheap.
This is the sticky part. Compared to what?

I remember when I bought my first British Crat, I was choking at the price but now so many of the modern Stainless stuff make the Crat prices seem reasonable.

Rare razors are certainly not getting cheaper. Several Toggle and Red Dot sales in the $600-$1,000 recently, Double Ring, Big Boy and New Deluxe in the $400-$500.

Common razors like user grade Fatboys, perhaps.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Define cheap.
This is the sticky part. Compared to what?

I remember when I bought my first British Crat, I was choking at the price but now so many of the modern Stainless stuff make the Crat prices seem reasonable.

Compared to other Gillette razors from the same pre WW2 era.

I hear you, For some reason the British razors have always demanded a higher price.

What I’ve read is they are simply one of the best tools Gillette ever made. If it comes close to the Goodwill, I will be satisfied.

Top Bottom