What's new

Not loving my 2 band Silvertip, should I get a 3 band?

I started wetshaving 8 years ago and the first brush I bought was the L’octane Plisson and that’s what I used exclusively for about 7 years so I’m accustomed to softer brushes. I also have a beard so only shave my neck which is where my skin is most sensitive and I always face lather.

The urge finally hit me a few months ago to try other brushes. The first one I grabbed was a used 24mm Shavemac Finest Badger off of BST and I loved it so much that it made me want to go further. The next brush I grabbed was a used 24mm Shavemac 2 band silvertip. The general consensus here seemed to be it is among the best you can get so that’s the way I went.

I’ve used it daily for about a week now trying to learn to like it and I’m just not there yet. It feels very scratchy when I face lather with it. Tonight I went back to the Finest badger brush and enjoyed it a lot more. I’m planning to keep the 2 band and I’ll try it periodically in case I grow to like it but I want to try something else.

Given the background I provided, would a 3 band silvertip be worth trying out?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Of course, and why stop there. I used to buy a $2.00 brush and use it until you could use it no more. I joined this forum and now I have over 30 brushes of varying shapes and forms.

Both my 2-band silvertip brushes feel different now after many uses than they did when they were new.

I do support your notion on getting a 3-band to try. Why not 2?? :) :)

I like my 2-band silvertips and my 3-band brushes for what they are. For me, the only similarities is the word "silvertip". Different beasts. You may prefer 1 over the other. You will never scratch that itch unless you pull the plug, now will you?? :em1500::devil:

Reactions: cf1
Finest grade and Two-Band grade are usually the same thing. It's just that the hair grade is not uniform across different brush makers. If you like the Finest, but you want something softer still, then yes. Many people prefer the Finest grade for face lathering hard soaps. A three-band might be more suited to soft soaps and creams.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Finest grade and Two-Band grade are usually the same thing. It's just that the hair grade is not uniform across different brush makers. If you like the Finest, but you want something softer still, then yes. Many people prefer the Finest grade for face lathering hard soaps. A three-band might be more suited to soft soaps and creams.
Not quite correct. He mentioned Shavemac Finest, which was a three band knot, made form some 65% of their super soft standard silvertip with the rest being the banded pure grade they had in the past. Unfortunately, they do not offer this grade anymore.
Grading across makers is not consistent, so it is really not possible to compare them one to one.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Brushes are so subjective. I don't like too soft... I like to feel a bit or a hint of scrub... but nothing poking into my face. I only have 6 badger brushes... all of them have "Manchurian" knots but that definition varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. But what I like, someone else might hate.

Rudy Vey

Brushes are so subjective. I don't like too soft... I like to feel a bit or a hint of scrub... but nothing poking into my face. I only have 6 badger brushes... all of them have "Manchurian" knots but that definition varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. But what I like, someone else might hate.
This is exactly what I always say: brushes are subjective. What one guy thinks is the greatest, bestest etc brush for him, might be the complete opposite for another guy.

In the end you need to try things for yourself.

I enjoy badgers in 3-band, 2-band, and super grade (from various manufacturers). In contrast, pure badger is just too much in the ‘scritch’ department. Others would disagree, but that‘s what works for me! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Not quite correct. He mentioned Shavemac Finest, which was a three band knot, made form some 65% of their super soft standard silvertip with the rest being the banded pure grade they had in the past. Unfortunately, they do not offer this grade anymore.
Grading across makers is not consistent, so it is really not possible to compare them one to one.
Hi Rudy. How do you think the Shavemac finest compares to their standard 3 band silvertip? Since the 3 band doesn’t contain any of the “pure badger” hair that their finest has will the 3 band essentially feel like it’s softer with less backbone compared to the Finest? Or does it have additional density (compared to their Finest grade) which counteracts the lack of backbone?

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Hi Rudy. How do you think the Shavemac finest compares to their standard 3 band silvertip? Since the 3 band doesn’t contain any of the “pure badger” hair that their finest has will the 3 band essentially feel like it’s softer with less backbone compared to the Finest? Or does it have additional density (compared to their Finest grade) which counteracts the lack of backbone?
Since the Finest was mostly their standard silvertip you should be good with it. Its very soft, though. The pure was added to get some backbone. The silvertip three band has not much of backbone compared to the two0band silvertip.

I have 2 shavemacs in 2 band. Both are pretty scratchy to me. The shavemac Finest is a wonderful feeling knot, though they aren't "quality" hairs like you'll find in the 2-band knots. What i mean is, the thinner hairs will curl and break quite a bit if you use aggressively- i'm guessing the Finest knot will have a much lower life span compared to the 2 banders. Still, for someone with sensitive skin the Finest will probably feel the best on your skin. If shavemac ever offers Finest again i'll probably buy another.

I have 2 shavemacs in 2 band. Both are pretty scratchy to me. The shavemac Finest is a wonderful feeling knot, though they aren't "quality" hairs like you'll find in the 2-band knots. What i mean is, the thinner hairs will curl and break quite a bit if you use aggressively- i'm guessing the Finest knot will have a much lower life span compared to the 2 banders. Still, for someone with sensitive skin the Finest will probably feel the best on your skin. If shavemac ever offers Finest again i'll probably buy another.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one finding the 2 bands scratchy. Have you compared the Finest to their 3 band? Do you think it's a good middle ground?

This is exactly what I always say: brushes are subjective. What one guy thinks is the greatest, bestest etc brush for him, might be the complete opposite for another guy.
And that's the problem with any recommendation of gear here or on any enthusiast site. Thanks for making sure people understand this.

If your brush is too scratchy, take a close look at the bristles. You might even need a magnifying glass. I have found that all badger brushes, no matter the grade, have a certain number of hairs that get flipped upside-down such that the stiffer dark ends contact my face. Higher quality brushes typically have fewer such hairs. I have very sensitive skin and cannot tolerate even one such hair. Thus, I carefully inspect my brushes and use tweezers to remove any dark hairs. It is amazing how much difference that can make to a scratchy brush.

Top Bottom