What's new

Not impressed with RazoRock Hive 24 brush

A synthetic isn't going to have scrub, period. I really question people claiming a synthetic has scrub to it. The only ones that are going to have that are the older stuff, and they aren't going to be enjoyable. The newer stuff out there now, it doesn't have any backbone to it. I agree with shave/brush, it's the brush, not the soap.

A synthetic isn't going to have scrub, period. I really question people claiming a synthetic has scrub to it. The only ones that are going to have that are the older stuff, and they aren't going to be enjoyable. The newer stuff out there now, it doesn't have any backbone to it. I agree with shave/brush, it's the brush, not the soap.

That's what I thought until my Zenith S10 showed up. Super stiff with lots of backbone and scrub.....a bit prickly too. Doesn't respond like my other synthetics at all. Great brush but it behaves more like a boar than a synthetic.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That's what I thought until my Zenith S10 showed up. Super stiff with lots of backbone and scrub.....a bit prickly too. Doesn't respond like my other synthetics at all. Great brush but it behaves more like a boar than a synthetic.

What the @gdawg55 said. :cool:
20210729_180402~2.jpg
20210503_205448~2.jpg

The Zenith S10 has a beautiful amount of scrub - the most scrub of any synthetic in my Den. :cool:

Omega does have a synthetic meant to imitate boar, but even that never managed to be significantly like boar in my experiences. I don’t see anything from it that would lead me to conclude it would be any different in that regard. Going against it too for meis the low loft. I’ve had some set low and for me performance, feel, everything is off and terrible. Loft and knot shape are of much greater importance in a synthetic in my experiences.

I’ve gone to some pretty crazy extremes with low lofts and high lofts with badgers and have never had any I would ultimately want to throw away. I have with synthetics though. I know things can vary for how we interpret it. I’ll just have to respectfully disagree. I’m glad that you guys like it however!

Try using the Arko stick which is lighter, because, the Nivea soap stick can be heavier with too many ingredients.
that stick never worked for me for some reason, maybe it was me but ended up in a bin, totally useless. I wanted it to work as I am quite fond of Nivea products. maybe mine was a dud

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Omega does have a synthetic meant to imitate boar, but even that never managed to be significantly like boar in my experiences. I don’t see anything from it that would lead me to conclude it would be any different in that regard. Going against it too for meis the low loft. I’ve had some set low and for me performance, feel, everything is off and terrible. Loft and knot shape are of much greater importance in a synthetic in my experiences.

I’ve gone to some pretty crazy extremes with low lofts and high lofts with badgers and have never had any I would ultimately want to throw away. I have with synthetics though. I know things can vary for how we interpret it. I’ll just have to respectfully disagree. I’m glad that you guys like it however!
I’ll vouch for the omega evo. It’s a fantastic knot. Closest to badger over anything else.

I’ve used the RazoRock Hive Mokasoft synthetic 24/53mm twice for bowl lathering and face lathering, I don’t have any issues with the backbone problem, however, there’s a small bit of weakness in the backbone and it’s still very easy to face lather without any drama at all.

This brush is a real keeper in my den, for those who are still not happy with the RazoRock Hive Mokasoft, all I can say is YMMV either keep the handle and replace the synthetic knot that suits you best.

Synthetics are fine. I prefer synthetic to all other brushes but this one just seems too soft. I had better luck the second time I used it. Some synthetics do have more scrub to them than others. For example the Muhler STF has a bit more scrub that most others.
I think I will get use to it but it will never be my first choice in brushes.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Synthetics are fine. I prefer synthetic to all other brushes but this one just seems too soft. I had better luck the second time I used it. Some synthetics do have more scrub to them than others. For example the Muhler STF has a bit more scrub that most others.
I think I will get use to it but it will never be my first choice in brushes.

If we all liked the same brush, there would only be one brush made. ;)

I stopped using them late last year, am already thinking of giving it a try again but i change my mind after reading this thread .

Can anyone pls compare the strenght of the backbone (scrub) of the RazoRock Hive Mokasoft with the RR Big Bruce?

According to post #16 it has less backbone/scrub than Big Bruce?!

Everyone can have their opinions on whether a synthetic has scrub. Just as I have my opinions that synthetics don't have scrub, and that is my solid opinion. They do not have scrub. I could put the thing at 25mm loft and it will not have scrub. There isn't a blasted thing scrubby about any synthetic, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.

Top Bottom