What's new

Not firearms related

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
but SD related.

I've been looking for a new can of OC spray as the one I have is several years old. I'm trying to find one with the cone spray pattern as that's what I was trained with and carried, and it's been a bit hard to find one. I looked at the can of Sabre Red I have, that is a cone spray, and the label said it expired in 2010.

I took it outside to see if it would work and did a short burst...it worked fine.

There must have been a slight breeze coming between the two buildings as a second or two later....

:scared::scared::scared:

SWMBO walked through the area a minute or so later and said she got a taste of it also. I don't think I need a new can right now.

I have never owned OC or pepper spray, though I always recommended it to my daughter since she doesn't own a firearm. Sounds like the 2010 date is more of a suggestion.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have never owned OC or pepper spray, though I always recommended it to my daughter since she doesn't own a firearm. Sounds like the 2010 date is more of a suggestion.

I was surprised the propellant still worked...but it did. The Punch II can that I still have is dead...but it's over 20 years out of date.

It's not the first time I've got a bit of overspray...there were a couple of times...never mind.

I'm sure people still say this today..."We don't have to get shot to carry a firearm, so why do we have to take a hit of OC to carry it?"

Some cop stuff never changes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was surprised the propellant still worked...but it did. The Punch II can that I still have is dead...but it's over 20 years out of date.

It's not the first time I've got a bit of overspray...there were a couple of times...never mind.

I'm sure people still say this today..."We don't have to get shot to carry a firearm, so why do we have to take a hit of OC to carry it?"

Lucky my management isn’t yours. If I said something like that, they’d say “you’ve got a point- put this vest on”. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Now that you have let a little air in the OC canister by spraying it, the bit of air will definitely now, compromise the integrity of the propellant given enough time.

I have seen unused canisters work fine after many years and also be dead and not work at all. But it’s usual department policy for many agencies that once an officer discharges their OC canister even for just a 2 second burst, they are not allowed to continue carrying that same canister because it has become contaminated with air.

They are issued a new canister with a fresh date.

The only times I have had to be exposed any type of tear gas was in the military. I hated walking through the chamber and being told to take the mask off, though it was always good to have the sinuses cleaned out.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The only times I have had to be exposed any type of tear gas was in the military. I hated walking through the chamber and being told to take the mask off, though it was always good to have the sinuses cleaned out.
When we were training new medics for tactical work we would put them in an old shipping container and toss in an OC canister. You gotta know how it feels if you’re gonna treat people after they’ve been gassed….. right?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In our TEMs class, we had to walk through an abandoned building full of CS gas with instructors stationed along the way who would "spritz" us with OC spray as we stumbled through the building, just to make sure we got the full effect! Great fun was had by all (NOT)!

My TEMS class at FLETC we had to jog a mile wearing our masks the go in the gas house remove our masks say the pledge of allegiance one at a time then re-don the mask and wait for everyone to complete their turn. its amazing how much fluid can come out of your head and eyes... Part of our gun qualification was to get pepper sprayed and another officer would try to take your blue gun from you. fun fun but I do miss those days.......

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Long long ago in a time far far away when I was doing fire service training classes I was leading some students through the smokehouse drills and teaching them how to use the fire to put out the fires. There was a fire and smoke source (50 gallon drum split lengthwise) and the drill was to get as close as possible to the fire and then aim the nozzle at the ceiling a give it a quick wide spray. The super heated air at the ceiling would immediately turn to steam and actually snuff the fire out.

I guess it was the third or fourth trip through and as we crawled through the person on the nozzle as always wanted to open it up. But I'd tell him, 'Not yet, lets get closer.' After about the fifth time he asked and I responded I felt something brush the lens on my mask and sure enough we were about two feet from the fire.

He said "Close enough?" I replied "Yes."

And then there was the time practicing dealing with major flammable spills when my boot got stuck in the mud and there I was in the middle of a pit full of burning oil with just one boot.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I set up a stage at a match once where you would smear the shooter's glasses with KY jelly to simulate sweat/blood/OC in your eyes and having to engage close targets. These were civilians, so not real receptive to being sprayed with the real stuff. They complained enough about the KY on their glasses, bunch of "gamers"!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Long long ago in a time far far away when I was doing fire service training classes I was leading some students through the smokehouse drills and teaching them how to use the fire to put out the fires. There was a fire and smoke source (50 gallon drum split lengthwise) and the drill was to get as close as possible to the fire and then aim the nozzle at the ceiling a give it a quick wide spray. The super heated air at the ceiling would immediately turn to steam and actually snuff the fire out.

I guess it was the third or fourth trip through and as we crawled through the person on the nozzle as always wanted to open it up. But I'd tell him, 'Not yet, lets get closer.' After about the fifth time he asked and I responded I felt something brush the lens on my mask and sure enough we were about two feet from the fire.

He said "Close enough?" I replied "Yes."

And then there was the time practicing dealing with major flammable spills when my boot got stuck in the mud and there I was in the middle of a pit full of burning oil with just one boot.
Training burn houses were a lot of fun. A lot of the newer ones have switched to natural gas fires which for me takes away a lot of the realism. The city I used to work for would allow us to burn abandoned houses that were a slated for demolition. We’d set it on fire, put it out, then do it all over again. Eventually we’d let it burn and “surround and drown” it.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Best marketing ever.
For those that don’t know, that’s Richard Davis. He invented Second Chance Body Armor. He would go around the country and visit PDs and SDs where he’d put on a little show of shooting himself with a pistol that was usually provided by the Dept he was providing the demonstration for.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
For those that don’t know, that’s Richard Davis. He invented Second Chance Body Armor. He would go around the country and visit PDs and SDs where he’d put on a little show of shooting himself with a pistol that was usually provided by the Dept he was providing the demonstration for.

Talk about standing behind your product. Literally…

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

That snot slinging stroll through the chamber was not fun.

When they lined you up outside and yelled GAS! everyone was real quick about getting their gas mask on. :)

Top Bottom