What's new

Not feeling it . Feather

I've rotated through many brands of DE blades, and had settled on Astra SP as my blade of choice.

Today I changed to a Feather which happened to be in a drawer (my Astras are in a cabinet and I got lazy).

This is probably my 3rd or 4th time with a Feather, which I held out on using until I got more experience, as I heard they are very sharp, and so for me had a stigma of "watch out for weepers".

I loaded up my 38c, which is my main May razor, so am very used to the feel, angles, etc. this late in the month. I did my normal 2 pass shave, with some buffing around the chin and jawline. I really had to work the buffing much more than with the Astras, and really wasn't happy with the result.

Now, about 5 hours later, I'm feeling stubble that usually comes mid-afternoon with the Astras.

No weepers, but for me the Astras are far better. Maybe I need more time with the Feathers, and they need a different angle or something, but the respect (fear) I had for these blades is no longer.

Another example of YMMV I suppose.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Feather blades are very razor/face dependent, but I've never heard of one being too dull. Not smooth enough, produce razor burn maybe - but never too dull. Maybe you just got a bad blade. All my experience with Feather is the exact opposite of what you describe.

I've actually switched from Feather to Asta Superior Platinums for the most part.
I'll have to keep track of whether I feel stubble more vs the other.

I love my Feathers. I have 250 of them, and plan on stocking much more. I would hate to have them disappear for some reason - like an earthquake, tsunami, or fill in the blank.

I've tried Feather blades on occasion over the past several years, but couldn't get used to them. I find Astra SP blades are always smooth and work well for me in my 34C and Fat Handle Techs. I have a more efficient blade on hand, Gillette Rubie, but the smoothness of Astra SPs is difficult to best.

I love my Feathers. I have 250 of them, and plan on stocking much more. I would hate to have them disappear for some reason - like an earthquake, tsunami, or fill in the blank.
:001_smile:thumbup1:

With that said -- different blades for different faces.

I also held off on trying Feathers, but I found them to be sharp and surprisingly smooth once I summoned the courage to try one. I've only cut myself once so far, when I caught the edge of my lower lip on a downstroke.

I wanted to like Astras (especially given the cost). They were smooth enough, but they were no match for my heavy beard and its omnidirectional grain patterns. Gillette Silver Blues are the next best option for me: not quite as sharp as the Feathers, but longer lasting. 7 O'Clocks are not far behind.

I tested blades for 8 months, and I finally came up with three that are just right for me: Astra SP, Gillette SB, and Feather. Love all three. But I notice that not every shave with any of these three brands is identical; every shave is different.

Last edited:
The best combo I have use with Feathers is ASD2/Feather[emoji106]1:
Would be a bit of a stretch though, when you'd have to buy an expensive razor to make the Feather blades work.

I do like Feathers. But there are many who don't like them in their razors (or who only like them for one or two shaves). Fortunately there are many more blades to choose from!

In other words, YMMV.

Would be a bit of a stretch though, when you'd have to buy an expensive razor to make the Feather blades work.

I do like Feathers. But there are many who don't like them in their razors (or who only like them for one or two shaves). Fortunately there are many more blades to choose from!

In other words, YMMV.

Oh, I completely agree, but with the Feather razor I get the best shave with a Fethery. I can use the blades with other razors and they work just fine, but they give me the best shave with the Feather razor.

Many other blades :thumbup1:

Oh, I completely agree, but with the Feather razor I get the best shave with a Fethery. I can use the blades with other razors and they work just fine, but they give me the best shave with the Feather razor.

It makes sense that a Feather razor and a Feather blade would be a good match indeed!

I haven't tried the expensive Feather razor. I'd love to though. However, I do have the cheap Feather Popular ($20.00) and it with the Feather blade is a wonderful combination.

try it in a few months and try another razor.
If it still doesn't work, move and find another. There are plenty of other awesome blades.

i.e. GSB, nacet, 7 o'clock series.

I really like Feather blades and was about to buy 100 of them. On just a whim I threw in two packs of Voskhod blades with a recent RazoRock order. I found the Voskhod blades very smooth and sharp, so I bought 100 of those instead of the Feathers. And they're cheaper. I've tried many blades, Voskhods are the best combo of sharp and smooth I've found yet.

Top Bottom