What's new

Not doing so hot with Derby blades

So, it's been a few weeks now since I've started the wet+DE shaving with my HD. I hit up one of the eBay sellers for 100 Derby's and 100 Israeli blades and found that I deffer among most of the vets here. The Derby's are chewing me up! :eek:

I've used 4 out of the 5 blades in my first pack of Derby's and no matter how I use them I always end up with a raw, bloody (Wes Craven would be proud) neck.

However, if I load up an Israeli blade.... smooth, BBS smooth. No irritation, no blood.

Only 1 Derby left in this 5 pack and if things don't improve, I may let them lose on you guys for a trade or something, all 95 of them, and stick to the Israeli's.
 
I've been using Derbys lately and , so far, I rate the Wilkinson Sword blade higher. They're not so bad that I'm thinking of giving them up though.
 
Things were much better today. As recommended, I tossed that lone Derby and opened a fresh pack. No blood and no irritation, but not quite as smooth in the lower neck area as the Israeli's.
 
Wolfman said:
Things were much better today. As recommended, I tossed that lone Derby and opened a fresh pack. No blood and no irritation, but not quite as smooth in the lower neck area as the Israeli's.


Wolfman, what dates are the Derby's from ? if you open your pillard box there should be a stamp of the factory date they were produced ? The Batch I have here was made in March 2006.

Israeli I will not buy them anymore certainly not compared to the shaves a Feather delivers. Derby doesnt work on everyone's beard though in the beginning I would get many nicks with it..but now its down to perhaps 1 tiny nick if im careless with them ,it takes a bit of training to shave with a Derby sounds strange.
 
SSLStudio said:
Wolfman, what dates are the Derby's from ? if you open your pillard box there should be a stamp of the factory date they were produced ? The Batch I have here was made in March 2006.

Israeli I will not buy them anymore certainly not compared to the shaves a Feather delivers. Derby doesnt work on everyone's beard though in the beginning I would get many nicks with it..but now its down to perhaps 1 tiny nick if im careless with them ,it takes a bit of training to shave with a Derby sounds strange.
I don't have the big cardboard box. I purchased a bulk lot of 20 of the 5 packs, and those aren't dated.
 
I use Swedish Gillettes, Israeli Personnas AND Feathers.

The Feathers are used mainly in my Slant bar. My Progress likes the other two very well.

Sadly, I don't use my Gillettes or the Futur much anymore... The results are EXCELLENT with the two aforementioned combos. :001_smile
 
My Toogle doesn't like Derbys, but I can take that same blade and put it in mt HD or Fatboy and it shave great. Maybe that razor just doesn't like Derbys.
My Toogle shaves great with a Feather, I haven't tried any other blades in it.
 
S

Sam

I get great results with Feathers in any razor. I got an HD and it is not a close shaver, but I use the slant bar for touchup anyway.

So what is a better adjustable: Merkur Progress, Merkur Futur or a Gillette Fatboy? Or does it matter?

I did not do well with some 2 or 3 Derby blades I tried.

I am going to go back to trying a whole shave with a slant bar.

Sam
 
Wolfman said:
I don't have the big cardboard box. I purchased a bulk lot of 20 of the 5 packs, and those aren't dated.

Then the seller ditched the carbox to save shipping costs. cardbox is only 8 gram by itself but takes up envelope space.
 
I'm happy to report that today's shave was quite possibly the world's best! :w00t:

Used the same Derby blade in my HD that I used yesterday, but some how it turned out great. Only two passes were need and I'm as smooth as silk with no cuts or irritation.
 
Excellent!

I've just acquired a black handled Gillette Superspeed, it'll get it's first use tomorrow. I will put a Derby in it and see how it does.
 
Wolfman said:
I'm happy to report that today's shave was quite possibly the world's best! :w00t:

Used the same Derby blade in my HD that I used yesterday, but some how it turned out great. Only two passes were need and I'm as smooth as silk with no cuts or irritation.

And you were ready to give up...glad it worked out. Sometimes you just have to bin an item or two and move on to the next pack. Looks like that worked this time!

Randy
 
I just ordered me some Derby blades for my HD, can't wait to give them a try. I have seen to many good post about them to so I must get some and alot of people on this forum seem to use them.
 
P

PortsmouthDavid

FWIW -- I think the Derbys are pretty good, but they are not my "go to" blade.

I think the "Swedish" Gillettes are much better. I also use the Israelis if I've roughed myself up at all. They are very mild, but I find I really have to work them to cut my beard, and they just aren't as effective at cutting as the Swedes.

Anyway, I am surprised at having a problem with Derbys, and I hope future packs work out better.

David
 
Top Bottom