What's new

Not dissatisfied.

So here's the deal. I've got a 1305 and an AOS pure badger. I prefer and even love the 1305. The AOS was a much appreciated gift, but has a bit more scritch than I enjoy.

I have not tried a high quality badger, but I'm now in the market (SWMBO gave me the go ahead).

I have a budget (would like to stay under $50) but I'm flexible. I've been looking at the vintage blades brand, whipped dog, and elite razor.

I typically bowl lather but face lather when traveling (I don't really enjoy face lathering).

A dense, soft brush seems nice, but I'm just not sure on loft and knot size. I'm hoping to get some pointers on dimensions and brand recommendations. Thanks in advance for any guideance!

Can't go wrong with a whipped dog! I just ordered a 22mm set at 50mm for some bowl lathering goodness. At your budget, you could get Larry to make you a silvertip in a firehouse pottery handle with custom lettering and still come in less than 50 bucks.

+1 on the Whipped Dog. Since you like to bowl lather, I would recommend a 24mm silvertip with a loft of 50-52mm. The resin handles are at least 50mm and certainly comfortable for bowl lathering, but you can also choose a pottery handle of your choice.

The Vintage Blades brushes also have an excellent reputation, but since they are two-band badger, they will be much firmer than a comparably sized silvertip (but still with soft tips).

Thanks emt88. The custom brush handle does seem nice, but not sure how I feel about ceramic. Whipped dog certainly has great prices!

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward a whipped dog, but might just get one of each. 24mm does sound pretty great.

Looks like I will go with a 24mm Whipped Dog. Now I just need to settle on a handle. I like the look of black resin handles, but it looks like he also has a maroon resin that looks sharp.

Looks like I will go with a 24mm Whipped Dog. Now I just need to settle on a handle. I like the look of black resin handles, but it looks like he also has a maroon resin that looks sharp.

I own two WD ivory resin brushes, and find them quite handsome. However, another member just received his WD brush with a maroon handle, and it is quite attractive. He has posted some pictures in this thread.

I own two WD ivory resin brushes, and find them quite handsome. However, another member just received his WD brush with a maroon handle, and it is quite attractive. He has posted some pictures in this thread.
I agree. That is a fine looking brush. Looks like my mind is made up! Thanks for sharing.

I have a WD Burgundy (as it is called on the WD web site). I really like the color. It has a very regal look to it. I don't detect even a slight hint of red, burgundy, or maroon in it though. I would call it Chocolate Butterscotch. No matter what you call it, it is still very pretty.

I have a WD Burgundy (as it is called on the WD web site). I really like the color. It has a very regal look to it. I don't detect even a slight hint of red, burgundy, or maroon in it though. I would call it Chocolate Butterscotch. No matter what you call it, it is still very pretty.
Thanks for the description! Being a Texas A&M Aggie, I will call it deep Aggie maroon- despite what color it actually is. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom