What's new

Not as simple as it may appear

5154AE35-1BAD-44FB-AFA8-F4AB78851516.jpeg

Some holsters are more tedious to break in than others. Although Ritchie Leather is a top contender in my opinion when quality leather gear is the topic...damn they can be tedious to break in. Plan on ample time and a fair amount of waxed paper to accomplish the task. 😉

I’ve got one that’s still too tight. I even tried sanding the interior, but that got tedious.
The wax paper drill does in fact get the job done. Simple, inexpensive, and effective. Can take the better part of a week to get things properly operational. That is the one bad thing.

I have had this issue with a holster and like others have said, the wax paper works wonders. Beleive it or not, none of my Milt Sparks holsters have had to be broken in. A first for me.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...Beleive it or not, none of my Milt Sparks holsters have had to be broken in. A first for me.
Speaking of Milt Sparks & their fine offerings ... when required, I’ve always taken their approach to successfully break-in new rigs by simply slipping the pistol/wheel gun into a 4 mil plastic bag & then into the holster - for anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

I might just be lucky. I open the box, slide in my gun, and the fit is perfect. This is for both pistols and revolvers. I have a Pure Kustoms Black Ops Pro that did require using a plasti bag for 24 hours.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The old thought was to holster the firearm, then stick the rig under your mattress and sleep on it.

Time + pressure.

AA

I have seen a variation of this using zip lock plastic bags.

I am not the least surprised re Milt Sparks fitting fresh from the box so to speak. They have forgotten more about holster making than many people know. Indeed, their commitment to QC and meeting stated delivery times created a marketing opportunity for any number of leather makers, particularly those who sell something that looks like a Milt Sparks Versamax.

Having said that, I am much more a kydex guy given the speed with which they release and the adjustable tension screws most holster have as a feature set.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Seems logical
I kick myself for not buying a gun once. A retired policeman's service revolver. Tiny bit of holster wear from unholstering it every night. It was an old Colt, Parkerized finish. Looked like it was fired maybe 6 times.

Ugh.

Sigh, had little money and a new baby, and had already just bought a few revolvers. The War Department vetoed the expenditure, lol!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Some of us are capable of creating more pressure than others. :)

Hm, that reminds me: I have some classic holster for a K-frame, new and never broke in .... Did shoot today, the much-skinnier Colt Police Positive from last Christmas. What a great DA pull on that!

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
what’s the wax paper do?
Wax paper & heavier (4 mil) plastic bag-wrapped handguns serve to (re)block/loosen a new leather holster a couple-few thousandths of an inch to facilitate an ideal tension for carrying & drawing ... as far as protecting the firearm’s finish, I suppose it does, but being that the (re)blocking process lasts an hour or at the most, a day or so, I’m not sure what protection it affords. Unless of course, one always carries their pistol wrapped in wax paper or plastic ;-)

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Wax paper & heavier (4 mil) plastic bag-wrapped handguns serve to (re)block/loosen a new leather holster a couple-few thousandths of an inch to facilitate an ideal tension for carrying & drawing ... as far as protecting the firearm’s finish, I suppose it does, but being that the (re)blocking process lasts an hour or at the most, a day or so, I’m not sure what protection it affords. Unless of course, one always carries their pistol wrapped in wax paper or plastic ;-)
I was just assuming that the wax paper would be gentle to the finish? While the inner holster got a burnish?

Top Bottom