What's new

Not as bad as I was expecting...

Got the sight-unseen straight from WhippedDog on Tuesday and finally got to shave with it today. I read some tutorials and watched some videos, and it really wasn't bad. Now the caveat is that the shave quality wasn't there. I got SAS on my cheeks and SUS (!) on my neck. Cleaned up with a DE and overall, it looked pretty good. A couple little nicks on my neck, but I've certainly done worse with a DE (hell, I might have done them THIS time with the DE!)

Figuring out how to hold it when working on the neck is going to require some work. I did WTG and XTG on my cheeks and attempted to do the same thing on my neck, but ultimately ended up doing WTG twice on my neck.

This was fun. Looking forward to the next time.

Congrats on your maiden voyage! I love using my straight razors. Been shaving for over a year with them now. I find every shave relaxing and enjoyable. Good luck as you continue with your straight shave journey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Excellent!!! Keep at it...it just takes a bit of learning...how to hold the blade, stretch the skin, turning your head etc. Once it all comes together it will be amazing; just take your time and try to improve with every shave!

XTG on the neck is a tough one. I've developed a technique where I tilt my head to the opposite side and kind of carefully yet assertively use a somewhat scythe-like motion to get my neck from jawline to under my chin areas.

Keep practicing and you'll figure out what works for you. Good luck!

Welcome welcome welcome. I got my start last year when the generous members of this section of the forum lent me some straights to try. I now have 5 of my own and I love using them. I still have plenty of room to improve. Just like wet shaving, knitting, golfing or any other activity, you need practice and time to perfect the art. Take the razor out, hold it in the different positions. You'll develop the muscle memory soon enough!

I found that the only way I can comfortably shave XTG on the neck is with a big smiling blade:

Stark2.jpg

It just fits the natural curve very well.

The grain on my neck is so screwy I just do a north/south pass, followed by a south/north pass. Get a nice DFS every time that way.

Thanks, everybody! My second shave (this was sometime last week. I'm working this week and keep it simple with a DE), went even better. However, I did learn the importance of keeping the skin tight. Found that edge a few times. :)

proxy.php

Top Bottom