What's new

Not a newbie BUT 8 years since i've been here

I joined back in 2009 after I made the switch to DE shaving. I left the forum but stayed with DE shaving. DE shaving was the best thing for my face and my wallet. I've improved in 8 years. What used to take me an eternity now takes about 10 minutes. I no longer do 3-4 passes...2 passes and that's it. I got 2 gilette razors which I got off ebay. Both are adjustable but 1 broke a few months back. I don't know why I keep it. I use derby blades. Around 2010 I could no longer get personna blades so I switched to derby. I currently love the pre de provence 63 shave soap. I've had it for 8 months now and it's barely half done.

I came back because I found out my manager does DE shaving and uses feather blades and a merkur razor. I've heard a lot about them while I was here but stayed away from the blades because everything I've heard made me believe I would end up decapitating myself. But I've read a thread where some people were saying they switched to feathers after years of DE shaving and because they are no longer a newbie to DE shaving, they get a great shave and still have their head attached.

I'm going to buy the feathers but I'm scared of using them. It's been months since I've cut myself shaving. I'm hoping to find tip for using feathers. I'm also hoping to find out if I should try a merkur.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
A merkur 34c with a feather is a sweet shave. Some guys will palm strop their feathers before use to mellow them out a bit.

Welcome back! Contact Captain Murphy if you ever need that razor fixed.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Welcome back to the forum, @praetorian316! You do not need to fear Feather blades. Any blade will bite you if you let your attention wander. Just remember to use a very light touch and focus on getting the angle just right. As for Merkur blades, I found them to be equally sharp as Feathers, but not as smooth. A nice balance between the Derby and the Feather are the Astra SPs. Also there are options available for vintage razor repair. If you are interested I can give the name of someone you could contact. Enjoy the shaves! :001_smile

If you already know how to shave properly, then the Feather is no more likely to cut you than your Derbys. Just be aware of your technique, just like you do with any other blade.

I'm going to buy the feathers but I'm scared of using them. It's been months since I've cut myself shaving. I'm hoping to find tip for using feathers. I'm also hoping to find out if I should try a merkur.
Al razor blades should be treated with respect so just use your usual technique. The Feather blade has a little keener edge than some blades but is not to be feared.
The Merkur 34C is a good razor but as you have been using adjustable razors why not consider a Merkur Progress.

Welcome back.

Most experienced shavers cut themselves when they stop moving the razor and keep it resting on their face or slide it sideways.

Both of these usually happen when rushing or daydreaming.

Top Bottom