What's new

Not a hobby?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Shaving is not a hobby. It’s a chore, and it’s something that we have to do sometimes to remain socially acceptable, look good, feel good, etc.

However the pursuit of razors, brushes, software ad nauseum is the hobby. Discussing products and technique incessantly is the hobby. Spending $400 on a razor when one should most likely cost $20 is the hobby. Having 100 vintage Gillettes, 40 brushes, and dozens of shave soaps is a hobby.

For me, all of this extraneous activity surrounding the daily chore of shaving is fun and interesting. It makes shaving less of a chore, more of a ritual… my morning moment of Zen. I enjoy it all tremendously. And I enjoy my time spent on this forum discussing all of these things too. So maybe shaving is a hobby after all. 😎

That's a great point about the haircuts there @Ron R I've never really thought about it like that to be honest.

I got a trimmer the first April of the lockdown, I never dreamed I would ever cut my own hair, but I have been doing it ever since, and it must have saved me £500-600 in that time.

It's not the 80's and the barber spent less and less time cutting it anyway, so a straightforward all over buzzcut does me fine nowadays.

My only fear now you mention it, is a short trip down the hairtrimmer rabbithole.
I have cut my own hair for the last 18+ years. I use a flowbee. It is a trimming system you attach to a vacuum. Then trim over ears with sscissors.dont have a lot if hair so it works just fine.

Shaving is not a hobby. It’s a chore, and it’s something that we have to do sometimes to remain socially acceptable, look good, feel good, etc.

However the pursuit of razors, brushes, software ad nauseum is the hobby. Discussing products and technique incessantly is the hobby. Spending $400 on a razor when one should most likely cost $20 is the hobby. Having 100 vintage Gillettes, 40 brushes, and dozens of shave soaps is a hobby.

For me, all of this extraneous activity surrounding the daily chore of shaving is fun and interesting. It makes shaving less of a chore, more of a ritual… my morning moment of Zen. I enjoy it all tremendously. And I enjoy my time spent on this forum discussing all of these things too. So maybe shaving is a hobby after all. 😎
Nah I shave because I like the process and doing it. I find it fun.

If I just wanted to be presentable I'd only be using my electric trimmer.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't mind calling this a hobby.... but it could also be added to the "pursuit of happiness". I do enjoy shaving now... and I've thoroughly enjoyed my first year on B&B. I love to read, to learn and to be part of a group of fine people with shared interests.

Is it a hobby for me? I'm not sure. I definitely didn't start out wanting a new hobby, but... I have got 7 razors, I don't need more, and I could sell a couple, but honestly I wouldn't get any money for them, so I might as well keep them all. I used the same brush for at least 2 years then I bought a couple more, because at $20-30 a piece, why not. I enjoy testing them in various setups. I have to admit the brush rabbit-hole got me, but not too badly. I could have lived with the Plissoft until it gave up. I have got maybe 5 soaps and creams, and I am only planning on restocking 2 or 3 of them for variety. I found my go to AS splash and balm, no desire to add more.

Most importantly, after decades of "I must shave again, gah", I am looking forward to the next shave.

Hobby or daily hygiene... why can't it be both?

Or, if you prefer, divide the idea of "shaving" into two aspects. The hygiene aspect is the simple task of shaving - changing a blade, technique, etc. The hobby aspect is searching for new shaving paraphernalia - acquiring interesting new razors, looking for the "perfect" blade, right brush, etc.

Instead of either/or, it's and/both.

-Z

Nice thread ...
Shaving when using cartridges and having to hurry to get to work was a chore.
Now I'm retired and can (and do) take my time in the morning and, long story short, got sick of paying inflated prices for mediocre results with cartridges. And so I bought an inexpensive razor and switched to safety razors and immediately loved the experience. In short order I bought 4 more razors and about 200 sample blades as well as a few soaps and shave creams.
The bottom line is that I've gotten to where I want to be. I don't feel a need to buy more razors anytime soon, I know which blades I like and which ones I don't and I've determined that Cremo is my favorite shave cream.
Please understand I'm not criticizing those who have collected razors or soaps and enjoy that aspect. I totally get that.
But for me, I doubt I'll continue to add much to my little collection because I'm really pleased with what I have. I may pick up a vintage Gillette down the road because I love history and respect those old razors but I don't anticipate much else. I don't consider my journey in wet shaving necessarily a "hobby", I consider it a subject that greatly interests me.
It's all good. :biggrin1:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Not a hobby for me at all. I’ve been shaving for almost 60 years. It is just something I have to do every day; kind of like brushing my teeth. I’ve used about every method over time and have been using straight razors for the past five years and found that to be the quickest and most comfortable so far. I have been using the same boar brush for the past 12 years along with ARKO soap and either Old Spice or VIBR aftershaves. I just keep shaving quick and simple.

I would assert that shaving is a hobby for anyone who spends time reading or writing messages on a shaving message board. Most people I know have zero interest in thinking about shaving. Anyone who actually enjoys shaving, or is interested in improving aspects of it so they can enjoy it, is a hobbyist in my book.

For me it's not a hobby but rather way to improve my daily routine which was otherwise a chore. Now it's enjoyable moment of the day and I'm also glad I can shave the way many people are afraid to. Also thanks to this forum (and Reddit) I now know many more brands and stuff so I'm more informed and equipped then casual grocery store visitors.. win-win for me.

I think it can be a hobby. I look at it like this, I work 7 days in a 14 day period. Those 7 days are guaranteed shave days. Of the days off, I probably shave 5 of those, and look forward to doing it.

I am not so in love with the razors, brushes, blades, etc. My 34C, feather artist club and gillette platinums are my daily drivers. for me the problem is the soaps / scents. There are so many out there, and so many smell so wonderful. But, I am at 18 full size soap / splash sets right now. Granted, 4 were gifted to me at once, that I would not have bought, but that is still a lot. I know many have more. But it is sometimes hard to pick one in the morning. I have reached out to Stirling and they are re-releasing "Juniper Breeze" this spring in a glacial form (notes of Juniper, Bergamot, Jasmine, and Patchouli, literally 4 of my all time favorite scents in one) so I am unquestionably getting that. but from there I am without question done with buying anything else until I can work through all this. I likely have enough for 3-5 years.

It was a chore, when I had to always be inspection ready. Back in the USN. But with the DE and brush. I don’t really mind it anymore. Different soaps, aftershaves. Different razors and blades to use. So it’s easier to look “socially”acceptable. And get to stand-out at in a good way, with the bearded look now.

Been shaving since 1960’s before the invent of throw away razors.

When I first started it was with round shave soap in big coffee cup. Brush was like Razor from local Drug store.

I learned by doing, cutting, nicking, had no U-Tube to show right from wrong.

Gillette was on TV all the time pushing the Fatboy, Slim, Blue Blades. They owned the market.

Join Marines two weeks out of High School, was issued Gillette Slim. We use body soap for save soap. Marine did things hard core.

Remember one Recruit in Boot Camp who was shaving whiz, DI noticed the guy. He was going threw motions with Dlim with NO blade. DI put Blade in Slim Gillette, and this kids face became war zone. Thought he would bleed to death.

Tried electric shaver, they did not like my face. Saved bad, and then went back to what worked.

Did do the disposable thing for a time, BIC BLACK worked good, was cheap, but was replaced expensive multi blade junk.

Have El Chepo DE, looking for replacement, better brush, decent lather bowl.

I shave to remove beard from face, hobby not really. Daily chore.

Hobbies? It all started a year and a half ago for me, with a plastic bag full of my fathers and grandfathers razors and an assortment from my wifes side of the family as well, all saved by my mom and my wife’s mom, now in their 90’s and 80’s, respectively. That first bag included my grandfathers 1912 Gem and another grandfathers New LC, a half dozen schick injectors, one a 1940’s that was my dads, a schick Krona and a blue tip super speed, a no name badger and my grandfathers ever-ready boar brush. What? They still make blades for these things???? From there I received a GC68, MWF, a fine shaving bowl and a Razorock synthetic brush in response to being asked what I would like for Father’s Day. I’ve since added a few Gems, Old type, techs, every superspeed and Gillette adjustable made, a GC84 base plate and half a dozen soaps and after shaves. After 1.5 years and a few sample sets of blades and soaps I’ve dialed in what I like/don’t like for the most part and no longer drool over the $300 razors I spent so much time obsessing over here. Do I use all these razors? No. I use 4-5 of them, and any of those top choices would serve me sufficiently if it were all I had. However, they all look cool on display in my bathroom, and my son can journey thru them all in a few years to find his preferences when it is time to teach him to shave. Once he has made his choices, I’ll pass on the rest that are not refularly used or heirlooms. The fun was in the journey as learning about these razors was a fun, historic trip thru the 19th century and family history as these razors pretty much cover early industrialization, two world wars and every decade thru the 60’s. I also discovered a more fun, luxurious, relaxing and superior way to do something better for my skin that I’m going to do most days anyway- shave.
I’m now past having to try “everything” as I’ve found a handful of go to soaps, AS and blades I consider the best for “me”. If I buy anything soon it’s going to be a Lupo 95oc, and maybe a premium razor one day for a milestone birthday…..but I can’t feed “rad” and have no inclination to accumulate simply for the sake of collecting going forward.

Hobby or not, I see this from kraftsman perspective:
- if you'd need a tool to be used daily -> you'd get yourself the best one (or one you benefit most, from comfort in use, practical reasons, design, wheater it's pliers, saw, acu-drill whatever)
Same logic with grooming. If you do it daily, or frequently why not endulging yourself? Doesn't hurt anyone and we (men) really should take some time for ourselves, not everything needs to be chore.
My "stretch-out" regarding shaving tought me that more natural ingredients in soaps/creams do help, that "expensive" soap last waaaaay longer than 2-3 cheap ones, that better razor doesn't give much better shave, as much as it brings in joy of having "reliable daily tool".
No matter the reasoning behind, enjoy it, it's worth it :)

Can enjoy something as a hobby without having to try everything.

1680779035260.gif

I used to see shaving as a chore. And I don't see anything wrong with it being a hobby either. I do know that from experience with my other hobbies, the gathering of gizmos and gadgets that goes along with these hobbies can be a hobby in and of itself. I am just getting started on my DE shaving journey and I am finding it very hard not to buy every type of razor, blade, soap, brush, cup, cream, aftershave, etc. There are items in my other hobbies that I have bought and have never used. I just HAD to have it! I am trying to make this new venture a little different.

I guess you could say I am trying to keep it a chore and not making it a hobby. The struggle is real!

My other hobbies:
Plastic models (cars, military aircraft, military vehicles, figures, etc.)
Auto detailing (washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing, etc)
Radio Control (nitro powered and electric cars, planes, drones)

While exploring each one of these hobbies I find myself spending more time researching and buying "the next big thing" rather than enjoying what I have. I am hoping to make more time to enjoy the hobbies.

Being very new to DE shaving I am not sure if this is a hobby or just an expansion on an area of life I didn't know could be better.
I have wet shaved for many years and enjoyed the fresh feeling but always carts and canned goo. Finding DE and brush and real soap I have felt fresher, cleaner shaven and have enjoyed getting the odd waft of shaving soap scent during the day.

I never previously used aftershave or strong scents as I didn't see the point, shaving was required why complicate it. But now using a proper nice smelling soap (Tabac) I have enjoyed the feeling and continued joy during the day that I get when I catch the scent.

I am still finding my preference for razor and blades in this new world but can see that when I find a good combination I will likely stick with it. I have only used the one soap so far and many would say Tabac is not a good scent. I can see myself trying more soaps and scents, both to explore them and what they offer but also to see how the scents make me feel.

I would say I am a long way from a music hobbyist but I will still choose different songs and music depending on how I am feeling to either lift myself up or chill out or just for fun. I think for me soaps and scents is the next rabbit hole but only so that I can have a selection that I can choose from to enhance my day and personal outlook/motivation/joy.

Does this make it a hobby or just a way to enhance my daily existence?? 🤔

Top Bottom