What's new

Not 1 holy grail razors but 2

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Thanks to @Tathlum with his generous PIF I've found 2 holy grail razors. Vintage gillette old and new types these razors are the best razors I have in my small collection they are amazing. Both shave so smooth but to me they almost have the efficiency of an R41. I've always wanted to try more Vintage razors but on UK ebay a half decent one always cost to much and the shipping almost doubled the price. I could happily shave with anyone of these two razors for the rest of my days my RAD is well and truly dead. I can't believe that razors so old could shave this good gillette definitely knocked it out of the park with this design. Thanks again to @Tathlum for putting these razors in my home.

Gillette New razors generally are good, but some of the New models made in England (if that's what you have) are particularly fine shavers. The world of English New razors is worth exploring, and not too costly if you look around and know what you're looking for.

Awesome Dave! Very happy you found what you need. I agree with Cumberland here above that the English Gillettes might add something. But when you have two magnificent shavers, I would revel in that and enjoy myself daily!!

Enjoy!

Guido

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Thanks to @Tathlum with his generous PIF I've found 2 holy grail razors. Vintage gillette old and new types these razors are the best razors I have in my small collection they are amazing. Both shave so smooth but to me they almost have the efficiency of an R41. I've always wanted to try more Vintage razors but on UK ebay a half decent one always cost to much and the shipping almost doubled the price. I could happily shave with anyone of these two razors for the rest of my days my RAD is well and truly dead. I can't believe that razors so old could shave this good gillette definitely knocked it out of the park with this design. Thanks again to @Tathlum for putting these razors in my home.

Hello Dave, it's good to see you still around. Of course vintage razors are better, they nailed it from the start, and modern razors are just catching up to vintage quality.

I have a 1959 Gillette 195 Adjustable Fatboy razor, and it shaves amazingly smooth for it's age. And I just freaking love the thing. The tactile and audible feedback of the adjustment knob alone, is the closest you'll get to metal alloy serenity.

These vintage razors make you want to spend all day shaving if you could. I'm glad to hear that your still enjoying DE shaving my awesome trucker friend. Tute that horn for me next time your on the highway. You gotta celebrate your success somehow, why not let the world know DE shaving is the best hehe. 😁

@Cumberland Sausage @Guido75
Are you guys referring to the raised flat bottom and the hybrid tech? Not easy to find! I got a flat bottom tech and it's a great razor but not familiar with other English made Gillette razors.
Hi Tathlum,

Those are very fine examples, yes. I was referring to the NEW Flat Bottom actually - those are relatively easier to find. They shave comfortable and effective.These are also easier to find. And also at reasonable prices.

English Techs are also fine (at least I love my flat bottom and you have that one!). The NEW FB is similar in performance but it’s an open comb.

The RFB and Hybrid require much more investment and are hard(er) to find. Not necessary on my list if I’m honest.

Guido

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Thanks for the replies gentlemen but my rad is really dead. I'll still keep my small collection of razors they served me well and might use one now and again sometime but for me these two razors outshine them by a country mile. For me its like the old saying.

Dont try to fix whats not broken.

Top Bottom