What's new

Nostalgic Search for Crabtree and Evelyn Mysore Sandalwood Scent

My first exposure to shaving with a brush and soap was when I received a gift consisting of a set from Crabtree and Evelyn that contained Mysore Sandalwood shaving soap and cologne in the mid-1980s. Unfortunately, that scent has been long discontinued by Crabtree and Evelyn. I am looking to reminisce about those days of the distant past, but not interested in searching eBay for a direct replacement. Reading over general discussions about sandalwood-scented soaps, it looks like a big variation in scent experiences from different soaps currently available. I received a sandalwood soap from Stirling, which performs well, but the scent is not close to the same as the C&E.
Is anyone familiar with the Mysore Sandalwood from C&E from long ago, and is there a currently produced soap that has a similar sandalwood scent?
Thanks

hello, Sir ShadyGrove! And belated Welcome to B&B!
FWIW, I'm not familiar with C&E sandalwood shave soap.
Looks to be great however.
My humble suggestion, is grab the one on eBay if you can.
Otherwise, I would only *imagine* that it would be somewhat linear, traditional sandalwood scent.
You might try D.R. Harris sandalwood shave soap, which I used today and is excellent.

D.R.Harris sandalwood electric october 17 2022.jpg

hello, Sir ShadyGrove! And belated Welcome to B&B!
FWIW, I'm not familiar with C&E sandalwood shave soap.
Looks to be great however.
My humble suggestion, is grab the one on eBay if you can.
Otherwise, I would only *imagine* that it would be somewhat linear, traditional sandalwood scent.
You might try D.R. Harris sandalwood shave soap, which I used today and is excellent.

View attachment 1540949
Thank you for the welcome and the suggestion. The wood bowl of the D.R. Harris is similar to the bowl that the C&E came in. Maggard Razors offers a sample of D.R. Harris sandalwood cream. Although it is cream, I think the scent would be similar or the same as their soap, and I could get a good idea if it is close to the Crabtree and Evelyn from days of yore. I will give it a try.

I have a slightly used puck of Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood soap in my stash. I no longer have the original packaging, so I can't verify the "Mysore" part, but my not-very-sensitive nose does detect a sandalwood scent. I used it 13 times between 2010 and 2014. It has been stored in a Pyrex glass container, the kind with a red lid. It now weighs 105 grams.

I purchased it originally in a brick-and-mortar C&E store in Victoria, BC. I have finished off two other C&E soaps, Sienna and Nomad, and was impressed by their performance. Please PM me if you are interested in a swap. I personally value performance over scent.

Might want to try a puck of Art of Shaving sandalwood. It’s close to the C&E but not exact. I remember when C&E was having a closeout on all their shaving soaps. I bought a few but I should have bought out the store!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. My goal was to find a currently produced product that is a close match to the C&E. So far, D.R. Harris's sandalwood shaving cream (soap wasn't offered as a sample) is the closest I have tried so far (thanks sarimento1 for the suggestion). I am willing to commit to the D.R. Harris soap. I will also note the AoS sandalwood soap to try out in the future.

Top Bottom