What's new

Nostalgia

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
This evening I was cleaning out a Conklin pen that is not too old. 2018 . . . thinking back maybe to 1968 and doing the exact same thing in grade 3 with the fountain pen I mostly failed to learn to write with.

Writing some more Christmas cards Just a chance to visit a few friendly pens. The world had changed so much. My mother told me stories of mixing the powder for the ink at her school and how the young lads split the wood for the stove that heated the one room school house.

The world is wonderful. Merry Christmas.

I find myself doing that same sort of reflections, and generally while doing those sorts of tasks... cleaning pens, polishing shoes, touching up the pocket knives.

I used to have to go down into the basement when I was growing up to put a shovel of coal into the furnace, and clean out the ash trap into metal buckets, which my grandfather then used as a traction substance on the driveway. Swore as a kid I'd never want to deal with that sort of thing again. Now, I really wish the house we'd found and bought had a fireplace, so I could deal with that sort of thing again.

The world is indeed wonderful, and strange. Wishing a happy season to everyone. :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Even nostalgia is not what it used to be...

I blame the rose-tinted-glasses industry moving their factories to China back in the late 1990s. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
upload_2019-1-18_18-56-5.jpeg

Top Bottom