What's new

NOS Zenit razor from Italy (1950s)

A nice, solid italian three-piece razor from the 1950s, NOS (I have the original box). Made by Zenit. This was a popular Gillette clone, of moderate price, but very well made.The shave stick is the popular P.160 (there was also a more upscale version): it was an excellent soap and it is no longer made.
The brush is my old reliable Koh-I-Noor badger brush and the blades are Italian Kingsley of the same vintage as the razor.
proxy.php

Goosemeplease said:
Thanks for posting -very interesting collection you have, thanks for sharing it with us.
Thank you, Jim.
I am always afraid to bore people to tears by simply showing some old stuff...

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Tryphon,
Is the razor marked with Italy as the country of origin? The reason I ask is that it looks very much like a Merkur from Germany. After WWII many German designs were copied by the Soviets and a common name used on their products was Zenit (Zenith). Cameras, watches, etc.....

Tony

tryphon said:
Thank you, Jim.
I am always afraid to bore people to tears by simply showing some old stuff...

These posts of "memorabilia" have been great. Just don't start showing vacation slides or old home movies...

Randy

Tony Miller said:
Tryphon,
Is the razor marked with Italy as the country of origin? The reason I ask is that it looks very much like a Merkur from Germany.

I thought it was a Merkur Classic open comb when I first saw the picture.

Tony Miller said:
Tryphon,
Is the razor marked with Italy as the country of origin? The reason I ask is that it looks very much like a Merkur from Germany. After WWII many German designs were copied by the Soviets and a common name used on their products was Zenit (Zenith). Cameras, watches, etc.....

Tony
I went and retrieved the box: it is actually spelled "Zenith" (my mistake). The Russian spelling "Zenit", as used in cameras, etc. is also the Italian spelling. The box says "Super Zenith" Rasoio di sicurezza. The box is definitely italian. Nowhere on the razor nor the box is a "made in..." legend to be found. Given the vintage, this is not too surprising. Were it German, it would say so (the Germans always having been more precise!). I am pretty sure that the razor was made in Italy.
Here is another view:

proxy.php

Great packaging on the razor blades and the stick. Keep showing more. I really enjoy seeing these things and you take good pictures as well.

Re your sig:
"Ah... You can't beat the cold steel and the badger. All this electrical rubbish, little wheels spinning around all over the place for callow youths and peach fluff, Not for a man's beard. Razor blades for men! I think we'll have this on number 9. If you're going to have a shave have a close one!
Tony Hancock, The Bedsitter, 1954."

BTW, I loved Tony Hancock, but my question is:
He refers to using a Gillette adjustable razor (set to number 9): these were introduced in 1959, AFAIK: your quote is from a 1954 film... There is a discrepancy.
Also, the reference to electric shavers used on Peahes refers to a commercial that I also believe may be from after 1954. Just curious... TIA,
Giovanni

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Tryphon,
Thanks for the info. I didn't know Zenit was the Italian spelling as well. You are right about the construction, definetly not German (but could e Soviet <g>).

Nice find.

Tony

tryphon said:
Re your sig:
"Ah... You can't beat the cold steel and the badger. All this electrical rubbish, little wheels spinning around all over the place for callow youths and peach fluff, Not for a man's beard. Razor blades for men! I think we'll have this on number 9. If you're going to have a shave have a close one!
Tony Hancock, The Bedsitter, 1954."

BTW, I loved Tony Hancock, but my question is:
He refers to using a Gillette adjustable razor (set to number 9): these were introduced in 1959, AFAIK: your quote is from a 1954 film... There is a discrepancy.
Also, the reference to electric shavers used on Peahes refers to a commercial that I also believe may be from after 1954. Just curious... TIA,
Giovanni

Hi Goivanni

You're right, I am wrong Further investgation proved "The Bedsitter" was made in 1961, I'll change my signature accordingly! Another funny thing about the bedsitter is the "Badger" brush he very quickly lathers his face with is pure white and looks more like bristle! There are four DVDs out now with the Hancock's Half Hours on them, you can get them at Amazon.

Top Bottom