What's new

NOS Twin Double Edge II razor Blades. Just got some.

My nos Personna Double Edge II blades just got to my house. I am now the proud owner of 21 single pack Twin Double Edge Razor blades. I think these are a bit of an oddity and I like to try things that are different. After reading the instructions on the back of the package all you do is load them in to your razor with the topside up and shave. They say you can get a closer and safer shave with the blades vs. a regular DE blade.

Has anyone tried a Twin Double Edge razor blade before. I saw that a few different companies made these back in the day. Did they all have about the same quality or do I need to hunt down other brands and try them to?

Any suggestions what type of razor I should use them in? I have several possibilities, should I use a standard DE or an adjustable. I am going to try to hold off on using them until this weekend because Saturday is the day that I reserve for trying out new gear.

I have found that just about everything made during the heyday of the Phillip Morris ownership period (1970-77) is of top quality. They were really investing to try to take market share with premium products, but it just did not work.

Well I tried the blade today. I loaded it into my Gillette adjustable Slim and left it on 7 (that is what I always use) and went for it. Well they do shave I am not sure they live up to all that the package states but they do shave. I have some irritation on my neck and I nicked my ear. I will have to try the blade again in a day or 2 to figure out if the neck issue is a blade or user problem. The ear nick was definitely a user problem which I am still trying to figure out since I was not shaving my ear. They seem equal to other blades I have used I got a good close shave. The one thing I noticed and did not like is that the whiskers fill the gap between the 2 blades and does not rinse out by shaking it in the water. After I was done I put the razor in my ultrasonic cleaner to clean it. The clogging of multi blade razor is the one main reason that I started using DE blades.

In conclusion they are interesting to try but I probably will not put them in to my rotation for everyday use.

I vaguely recall these when they were introduced. I had moved to the TracII at the time, so I never tried them. They didn't gain much acceptance and weren't on the market that long. Interesting that some of these are still floating around.

-- John Gehman

Ya I saw the Schick 2002 also and I am in the process of getting some to try. It looks like I will try anything once.

Ya I saw the Schick 2002 also and I am in the process of getting some to try. It looks like I will try anything once.

I don't know if you will find them any better then your Personna type. The twin blades was a interesting concept though.

I also enjoying trying different NOS blades. I bought some of the Schick twin (2002) from E-bay awhile back I have only used 2 blades so far. I find them to be a above average blade although not nearly as nice as my favorite blade the Schick Plus Platinum.

I bought these twins as I love Schick NOS blades! The problem you stated about the hair & cream getting in between the blades is something that does happen with my blades also. Might be the reason that I only get 4 shaves from them.

I took one apart using a small screwdriver & found that it was 3 blades spot welded together. A narrow blade on top, a regular one on the bottom & a non sharpened one that was the narrowest in the middle to separate the two cutting edges.

I think I found a good use for the middle blade as of yet I haven't tried it. I have read about using a shim for the older Razors that used a 3 hole blade that were thicker then our modern types. With the shim in place it makes the razor a little more aggressive. The middle blade is non sharpened & is narrow enough that it seems to be a perfect shim!

Here's a pic of the E-bay auction I received. There was only supposed to be 4 blades per pack but there was 5 in each of the Twin packs. A nice surprise bonus! Only 2 packs were not the twin blade types. The other pic is the instructions on the back of a card for the Schick Twins.

I don't know if you will find them any better then your Personna type. The twin blades was a interesting concept though.

I also enjoying trying different NOS blades. I bought some of the Schick twin (2002) from E-bay awhile back I have only used 2 blades so far. I find them to be a above average blade although not nearly as nice as my favorite blade the Schick Plus Platinum.

I bought these twins as I love Schick NOS blades! The problem you stated about the hair & cream getting in between the blades is something that does happen with my blades also. Might be the reason that I only get 4 shaves from them.

I took one apart using a small screwdriver & found that it was 3 blades spot welded together. A narrow blade on top, a regular one on the bottom & a non sharpened one that was the narrowest in the middle to separate the two cutting edges.

I think I found a good use for the middle blade as of yet I haven't tried it. I have read about using a shim for the older Razors that used a 3 hole blade that were thicker then our modern types. With the shim in place it makes the razor a little more aggressive. The middle blade is non sharpened & is narrow enough that it seems to be a perfect shim!

Here's a pic of the E-bay auction I received. There was only supposed to be 4 blades per pack but there was 5 in each of the Twin packs. A nice surprise bonus! Only 2 packs were not the twin blade types. The other pic is the instructions on the back of a card for the Schick Twins.

you hit the mother load..are they worth buying or more of a novelty?

If you continue to use those blades might I suggest you dip the blade in a alcohol, and leave it in the alcohol for a spell. The alcohol seems to get all kinds of gunk, hair, out. I am not a cart user, but I occasionally use Trac II carts to head shave. I hate the clogging, and found that alcohol gets a lot of stuff out quite nicely. I am not a much of DE user either, but I have tried those twin DE blades and the alcohol bath helped with the clogging.

If you continue to use those blades might I suggest you dip the blade in a alcohol, and leave it in the alcohol for a spell. The alcohol seems to get all kinds of gunk, hair, out. I am not a cart user, but I occasionally use Trac II carts to head shave. I hate the clogging, and found that alcohol gets a lot of stuff out quite nicely. I am not a much of DE user either, but I have tried those twin DE blades and the alcohol bath helped with the clogging.
Nice, Thanks. I'll try that when I go back to using them again. I bought some P.160 & Cella along with a EJ 89, so I'm trying to go with the blades that I have good shaves with right now while testing out the new stuff! .

you hit the mother load..are they worth buying or more of a novelty?
I got a nice shave from the 2 blades that I used but they won't replace any of the top 2 or 3 standard DE blades that I like!

Something that I notice was both blades felt like it was dragging a little! I got a nice shave from them unlike when using a dull or worn-out blade. Maybe from the 2 cutting edges? I used them in a Progress, a Sheraton, a Super Adjustable, Red Tip & the Schick Krona. Best shaves so far was with the Sheraton & Progress.

I used the phrase "Interesting Concept" but Novelty might be better :wink2:

Well I have some Schick 2002 on the way:thumbup:. We will see how these compare. I was going through a box of some of my razors and blades I have not gotten to use yet and I came across an unopened package of Gillette Twinjector blades :thumbup:I will also be trying soon. I am still on the hunt for the Shick twin injector blades.

Anyone know of any other styles or brands of these type of blades?

Interesting!

I honestly had no idea such a thing ever existed, and I stumbled across this on accident. It seems like a logical step, I guess, before going to the plastic cartridge razors.

What kind of shaves do you get from these blades?

Reviving an old thread as its the only reference to these blades I found. I have 2 5 packs of these I got in an auction with a pack of 74s and some Schicks. Gave one a spin in my Executive yesterday. Good shave for a novelty item. Gave a good alcohol soak(I do that with everything) will see how many good shaves they give!

I just used a 2002 that was sold in Canada as the Schick II (but had the same twin written on the blade as some of the 2002's above). I found that the shave was good, but the longevity was a little less that the regular Schicks of that time. I got 5 shaves when I would get 7 from the regulars......

After my experience with the Personna Double Edge II blades I was a little hesitant to try the Schick 2002. I finally tried them over the weekend and liked them much better then the Personna Double Edge II blades. I have also found several twin injector blades I will be trying soon.

Top Bottom