What's new

NOS Rubberset 400-4

I don't collect brushes much, preferring to buy old brushes and refit them with new knots for my own use, but couldn't pass up this NOS Rubberset 400-4 complete with box and handle tag. Just beautiful if I may say so myself! It'll go into my collection, stay unused and sit prominently next to my NOS Rubberset 400-3.
400-4 RS.jpg

I got one of these a few months back in a lot of shaving stuff from EBay. I generally don’t want anything to do with old used brushes. But I have a problem with boar brushes. I just can turn them down. So I bought some ship shape and soaked it as well as took some other sterilization steps with this and a few other brushes. All with the intent to resell. Well after finding myself a little bored after doing some den organization I decided to try the Marco method using a boar brush closer to what is described for this method. So I went at it. Well I’m the process of experimenting with the Marco method on a triple milled soap and finding myself blown away by how the brush performed, I decided to make this the one and only vintage brush that is being kept and added to my collection. I had just ordered a couple new zenith boars that morning and will be excited to compare, but it will be hard to beat this brush for bowl lathering. I was happy to find the knot cleaned up well, had no funk or smell from being stored and neglected and didn’t make me gag at the idea of putting it into regular use. The bristles aren’t even shedding, there were a few that broke off early on in the sanitizing and test lather steps, but now, you can kick her tires and she holds up.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I don't collect brushes much, preferring to buy old brushes and refit them with new knots for my own use, but couldn't pass up this NOS Rubberset 400-4 complete with box and handle tag. Just beautiful if I may say so myself! It'll go into my collection, stay unused and sit prominently next to my NOS Rubberset 400-3.
View attachment 1087213
Very cool. Based on my hunting around a years or so ago I’d say that’s pretty darn rare to get nos. That brush is long!
do you think you will use it as is or re knot it?

Very cool. Based on my hunting around a years or so ago I’d say that’s pretty darn rare to get nos. That brush is long!
do you think you will use it as is or re knot it?
Thanks! No, I'm going to keep it as is. The person I acquired the brush from even included a note about this being his grandfather's, etc. I'm just keeping it all together. I'm in the process of reknotting my 400-3, though.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks! No, I'm going to keep it as is. The person I acquired the brush from even included a note about this being his grandfather's, etc. I'm just keeping it all together. I'm in the process of reknotting my 400-3, though.
Ya super cool.
I have a alpha that I’ve never got around to setting a knot in.

Top Bottom