What's new

NOS Olympic Special Pioneer Old Type

I received this set today. A NOS Olympic Special Old Type Pioneer. I think it was a special set released for the Paris Olympics in 1924.

The cardboard box was still sealed up and the white leather case inside was wrapped in wax paper and sealed at either end with a wax seal stamped with the Gillette diamond.

Interestingly it says on the front of the box that there should be six blades included but there is only one. There are a few light surface scratches and a small crack in the barrel. There is a "G inside a D" stamped underneath the head (see the last photo), which I think indicates that the razor was repaired so maybe that is why there is only one blade in the box, perhaps the razor is a seconds.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Must'a been just like Christmas (In August)! Very nice.

Interesting that the handle would be split on something that minty and unused.

I'm not sure of the reasons why these handles are typically cracked. Is it due to them being overtightened? Maybe it was tightened at the factory before it was placed in the box? Or maybe it's stamped with the "G inside a D" because the handle is cracked? Perhaps some of the experts might be able to shed some light on it.

They cracked when they were made. They were press fit at the factory.

I saw that seller had three of those minty sets.

NICE!!

What is the wax seal on?

I saw that seller had three of those minty sets.

NICE!!

What is the wax seal on?

Thanks.

Inside the cardboard box the leather case was wrapped in paper and the paper was sealed at each end with what looks like a wax seal.

Wow. How many years did they make these thin hollow tube type handles (ie ball end) and how many millions? They never fixed the flaw? Seems odd for such a quality oriented era in American manufacturing.

That cream case is a beauty.

a beautiful & unique set. does anybody else remember a previous thread devoted to this set, posted by a euoropean (french?) member. can't seem to find it.

Top Bottom