What's new

NOS? Old Type

Just acquired a Gillette old type ball end. It looks to me to be unused and still has the cosmoline coating on it.
Now I don't know if it came with cosmoline when it was newly packed, or if they even used cosmoline. It was in with a bunch of razors I purchased. (No case)
I don't know if cleaning it would lower it's value or if it was so common a razor that it wouldn't make any difference. It appears that it hasn't been used. It is tarnished of course, but the top cap and base plate were stuck together with what appears to be cosmoline.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
This is my first post so hope I'm not out of line or posted in the wrong area. Thanks again.

I know mineral spirits will take off the cosmoline with ease. However I don't know what it would do to the metal plating of a razor. Might wanna ask around on that one.

Welcome to the B&B! I always soak my razors in hot water with Dawn dish soap until the water is tepid. I use a medium tooth brush to scrub them. Don't know if that will work on yours but it is safe and will not remove the plating.

Just acquired a Gillette old type ball end. It looks to me to be unused and still has the cosmoline coating on it.
Now I don't know if it came with cosmoline when it was newly packed, or if they even used cosmoline. It was in with a bunch of razors I purchased. (No case)
I don't know if cleaning it would lower it's value or if it was so common a razor that it wouldn't make any difference. It appears that it hasn't been used. It is tarnished of course, but the top cap and base plate were stuck together with what appears to be cosmoline.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
This is my first post so hope I'm not out of line or posted in the wrong area. Thanks again.

Could you post two or three pics?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Is it gold or silver plated? There was a factory lacquer that turned brownish on the gold wash razors -- that could have somehow melted and stuck the parts together.

Yeah, we need pics!

Will try to get some pics. posted after Turkey day. Hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving!

OK
Old Style 1919 (I).jpg
Old Type 1919 (A).jpg
Old Type 1919 (D).jpg
Old Type 1919 (E).jpg
Old Type 1919 (F).jpg
Old Type 1919 (G).jpg
, here are some pics.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Far from N.O.S. certainly. Looks like some cruddy contamination to me.

How's it shave for you?

Anyone can slather something in cosmoline and call it NOS also. If the item wasn't hermetically sealed and it hasn't hardened up or is waxy then the coating is a fairly new.

If it hasn't hardened up wiping it off with a lint free cloth will remove pretty much all of it. Couple of wipes, a shave or so will remove it all. If it has hardened you use penetrating oil like WD-40, spray and let it sit until the cosmoline becomes viscous again then wipe off as above.

If you want to keep away from using any solvents then heat and soap will get the job done for a razor. Just put the razor in a pot of hot soapy water and let it soak until the cosmoline becomes viscous again wipe and repeat before cleaning your pot or using another one to finish cleaning with a clean change of water and soap.

I have one in similar condition only difference is it was originally gold washed. It is one of the best shavers I own, as good as any SE Gem for the same period. If you plan to keep yours long term and use it regularly have it re-plated. Besides the finish issues yours looks to be in really good shape otherwise. Lot of times the teeth are bent or missing, handle is cracked among other issues.

If you have reservations about putting a razor like that to your face even after cleaning and disinfecting you can lacquer seal it so the bare metal doesn't touch the face. Nail polish will work just fine for a quick and temporary sealer. Thin coat, buff and polish and it is good for a few shaves or so.

Far from N.O.S. certainly. Looks like some cruddy contamination to me.

If you plan to keep yours long term and use it regularly have it re-plated. Besides the finish issues yours looks to be in really good shape otherwise. Lot of times the teeth are bent or missing, handle is cracked among other issues.
I agree that, once clean, it would be a candidate for re-plating. He has the usual cracks for a ball end handle, one at each end, but they are small and tight. I've yet to see that type of handle without cracks, but they are usually worse than his. The teeth all look good. I'm not sure why the OP thinks it was never used.
I agree with Doug that there is some nasty gunk on there. It almost looks like someone spilled something on it. You could try the old Scrubbing Bubbles. Don't worry about the value.

I agree that, once clean, it would be a candidate for re-plating. He has the usual cracks for a ball end handle, one at each end, but they are small and tight. I've yet to see that type of handle without cracks, but they are usually worse than his. The teeth all look good. I'm not sure why the OP thinks it was never used.
I agree with Doug that there is some nasty gunk on there. It almost looks like someone spilled something on it. You could try the old Scrubbing Bubbles. Don't worry about the value.

The handle can be repaired.

Tutorial: Repair cracked handles/shafts in Gillette Old Types etc.

If you know how solder that can also be done to repair those cracks,

Clean the handle make sure the cracked area is free of debris

Mask off around the crack.

Apply the flux with a toothpick.

Heat under a flame not too hot.

Apply solder when hot enough just touch it to the crack if it smokes it is hot enough. It should fill the crack without leaving a mess if you do it carefully.

File or sand the excess off afterwards.

This should be okay to do without removing the plating if it is nickel.

Last edited:
I have one in similar condition only difference is it was originally gold washed. It is one of the best shavers I own, as good as any SE Gem for the same period. If you plan to keep yours long term and use it regularly have it re-plated. Besides the finish issues yours looks to be in really good shape otherwise. Lot of times the teeth are bent or missing, handle is cracked among other issues.

If you have reservations about putting a razor like that to your face even after cleaning and disinfecting you can lacquer seal it so the bare metal doesn't touch the face. Nail polish will work just fine for a quick and temporary sealer. Thin coat, buff and polish and it is good for a few shaves or so.

I will clean it up and post more pics. if you like. Believe it to be silver coated. BTW have been cleaning vintage for quite some time, didn't know if it had some value as is. Sounds like no. Thanks for your advise.

Top Bottom