What's new

NOS Gibbs

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Picked up a carton of Gibbs NOS blades. I have no idea of the date, but there are nineteen 5-packs of unopened blades, and one 5-pack which was opened, so almost 100 blades.
I took one out and put it in my Gibbs adjustable for tomorrows shave, and it is not carbon steel, but I don't think it is stainless either.
Going full Gibbs tomorrow with a Gibbs 210 nylon brush, and I'll let you know how the blade does.
I expect that it will be slightly better than the Gillette carbon steel Blue Blades, but not by much, and certainly worse than Stainless Steel or anything platinum coated.
Has anyone shaved with the Gibbs Mince (thin) blades and lived to tell the tale? Any insights or tips on manufacturing dates?
20210715_152329.jpg
20210715_152744.jpg
20210715_152416.jpg
20210715_152433.jpg

Picked up a carton of Gibbs NOS blades. I have no idea of the date, but there are nineteen 5-packs of unopened blades, and one 5-pack which was opened, so almost 100 blades.
I took one out and put it in my Gibbs adjustable for tomorrows shave, and it is not carbon steel, but I don't think it is stainless either.
Going full Gibbs tomorrow with a Gibbs 210 nylon brush, and I'll let you know how the blade does.
I expect that it will be slightly better than the Gillette carbon steel Blue Blades, but not by much, and certainly worse than Stainless Steel or anything platinum coated.
Has anyone shaved with the Gibbs Mince (thin) blades and lived to tell the tale? Any insights or tips on manufacturing dates?
View attachment 1297224View attachment 1297225View attachment 1297226View attachment 1297227

LOVELY!! Gibbs + Gibbs!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Gibbs razor, blade and brush worked just fine!
I actually kind of like the nylon brush.
The blade is certainly not as sharp as a modern platinum blade, but honestly it was a satisfactory 2 pass shave.
I didn't want to do anything different than I normally do, so I did the standard WTG/ATG shave.
No bloodletting, though I did go a little slower than normal as it's the first time I have used this razor.
It was not uncomfortable, and while not BBS - it certainly was between a DFS and a socially acceptable shave.
I don't know the age of these blades, but I can see fellows in days past using these without complaint.

The Gibbs razor, blade and brush worked just fine!
I actually kind of like the nylon brush.
The blade is certainly not as sharp as a modern platinum blade, but honestly it was a satisfactory 2 pass shave.
I didn't want to do anything different than I normally do, so I did the standard WTG/ATG shave.
No bloodletting, though I did go a little slower than normal as it's the first time I have used this razor.
It was not uncomfortable, and while not BBS - it certainly was between a DFS and a socially acceptable shave.
I don't know the age of these blades, but I can see fellows in days past using these without complaint.

Could they be stainless steel but uncoated?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Top Bottom