What's new

NOS Carbon Users: Name your favs

I know there are many old stock carbon DE blade users here. What blades work well for you and what razors are the best match for you.

I have several favorites:
Pal Hollow Ground
Fuller Club
Marlin
Pal Gold Thin
Don Juan

I get best results in adjustable razors set low.

Last edited:
Rich, all --

In order, I like:
Gillette Superblue blades
Gillette Blue blades
ASR Silver Star
Pal Hollow Ground
late-40's Personna in aluminum/red plastic dispenser.

I use'm in any razor, but prefer Gillette 3-piece Tech, and '40s Aristocrat.

-- John Gehman

I picked up some Gillette Super Blue blades in pristine condition. Some dispensers were dated 1968. They have no PTFE patent numbers on them but I suspect they were silicone coated. Other dispensers were dated 1974 and have the PTFE patent numbers on them.

I have used the Gillette Super Blue blades with the 1968 date code in a Gillette NEW . I used a shave oil and made sure the lather was prepared very well. I was careful to use very short strokes. First pass was not as smooth as a quality SS coated blade but not irritating. The blade did smooth out with pass 2 and 3 but not as smooth as a modern stainless steel blades.
I checked under my chin for touch up and found that none was necessary. I need to do minor touch up in the area under the jaw line with the best quality SS coated blades, but not with these. These blades are very rigid and sharp. The resulting shave was BBS with very little irritation. I have been able to get three excellent shaves from each blade. I dry the blade and store it in alcohol between uses. I do enjoy these blades very much. I am not sure I would have even tried these blades however if they were not in such pristine condition. I have also used these blades with a Gillette Tech with a blade shim and get similar results.

I have not tried The Gillette Super Blues with the PTFE coating. I am looking forward to trying those as I hear they should perform as well or better than the silicone coated carbon blades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom