What's new

NOS Avon Wild Country

Back in the day I used to really like the scent of Avon Wild Country AS. Then I pretty much stopped using aftershave for quite a while. Now that I'm DE shaving I've gotten back into aftershave use, so I decided to look around for Wild Country again. Avon itself is out of stock on the present day Wild Country...

Some eBay vendors had the old bottles, still full, for up to $35. Way too much money. I'm into cheap, er, um, inexpensive. So I did some scrounging on the Internet, and found a site where a lady in NM had a truckload of Wild Country decanters, full of that wonderful smelling stuff, very reasonably priced. I bought two of the biggest ones, a Totem Pole and a Covered Wagon, which arrived yesterday. I'm wearing part of the contents of the Covered Wagon as I type, and boy do I smell good... :biggrin:

I have been using Wild Country since HS and I still try to keep it in stock. Avon does run out every once n a while but check back next month and they should have it back in stock.

I found a lady at a nearby flea market, they sell Avon bottles for 75 cents each-some of them are full! I got Spicy, Wild Country, Windjammer, Oland, and Clint.

Got my VW decanter for $5 at an antique shop, full of the wild country i love so much!

FWIW, the current WC ASB is a great value for the money (~$2.50 a tube), moisturizing, healing, and the same great scent :thumbup1:

I had no idea it was good stuff! I'll drop by the thrift tomorrow and pick up a few bottles that I seen laying around. I usually open one up and splash a little around, makes the place a little less f--u--n--k--y, if you know what I mean.

-jim

According to Avon's website it's "bergamot, anise and coriander". To me it's kind of a sweet spicy scent. Lasts a long time, too.

I should point out that with Fathers Day almost on us, all of the Avon men's line are on sale.

(my roommate is an Avon rep so I get samples heh heh)

The Canadian catalogue I looked at had ALL aftershaves, colognes and balms on at 50% off.

So order now gentlemen.

If you like their WC, try to track down their now vintage Leather.

Deep Woods is ok, but misleading...really sweet, not at all woodsy.

Most the antique stores around me are littered with boxed nos wild country $2-$5. Personally i never took fancy to it.

I had a full bottle of Wild Country - in a old time water pump bottle still in the box - for $4.99, but I spied a few other non-shave related items and I left it behind. I spilled some on my hand while I was opening it to smell (that's how full it was) and it smelled nice, powdery.

They had a few different kinds there at the Salvation Army.

Another scent, and another different scent and a third other kind of scent.

-jim

I had a full bottle of Wild Country - in a old time water pump bottle still in the box - for $4.99, but I spied a few other non-shave related items and I left it behind. I spilled some on my hand while I was opening it to smell (that's how full it was) and it smelled nice, powdery.

They had a few different kinds there at the Salvation Army.

Another scent, and another different scent and a third other kind of scent.

-jim

That's not an unfair price for that sized bottle (6 oz, I think), assuming it smells strong and you like it. Whatever some may say about Avon's original quality of scents - mileage and opinions vary - I've never yet found a bottle that had gone "bad" or even particularly weak. Skin Bracer? I found a whole NOS bottle that'd went sour. Found some old Old Spice that had faded to near nothing. Not Avons.

What I usually find in order of commonality, at least around here:

Wild Country
Deep Woods (I find it even more powdery, if you like that)
Tai Winds (late '60s oriental spice vibe)
Windjammer (nice)
Oland (hard to describe...leathery? probably my overall fav)
Spicy (it's spicy)
Tribute (not sure...don't care for it anymore)
Blend 7 (odd)
Leather (a powdery leather - wife likes it, I prefer E.L.)
Excalibur (more "office wear" cologne-y, imo)
Sure Winner (have never quite figured this one out)
Clint (ditto Excalibur, but a bit better)
Everest (not cooling, like you'd hope from the name, but light and unobtrusive)
Bravo (very "bright," not sure what else to call it)
Island Lime
Bay Rum
(if you see these last two, grab 'em, they don't show up often)

One problem with Avon's men scents is that some are very similar and hard to discern from others. But none of them are "bad," imo. So if you're not too picky...for the money, longevity and availability, they're worth it. And no one under the age of 40 is likely to recognize any of them on you.

I just wish Avon had come up with a truly woodsy/piney/outdoorsy scent way back when.

Last edited:
I scored 6oz in a "Mac Truck" today for 1$. I bought it unknowing if I'd like it, but I thought the truck was kinda cool. I'll give it some tries, and see how it goes. Just starting in on AS-AD today I guess.

A couple weeks ago I found an old decanter full of the stuff for $3.99. I have yet to use it after shaving, but the smell from the decanter is pretty nice. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom