What's new

norton stone set - damaged should I keep it for 1/2 price?

Should I keep it?

• Total voters
I wanted to get a Norton set and start practice honing some of my junk razors. When I got the box I new there was trouble as the box was damaged. Sure enough the 4000 side of the 4k/8k stone has some edge damage and the 220 side of the 220/1k side has some edge damage. They offered a 70.00 refund if I keep em, but I wondered if it would affect things down the road. 80.00 out the door is pretty good, but wondered. Would appreciate advice from you experience honemasters.
20181201_213240[1].jpg
20181201_213249[1].jpg
20181201_213339[1].jpg

It looks like the damage is minor. I know that Norton makes excellent stones. Personally, I would keep it.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

The damage is seemingly minor and superficial, but you don't know that there isn't any internal damage that you can't see. Plus, I'm not a fan of the Norton stones. If it was me, I'd send them back in a hearbeat and get a set of Naniwas and I'd feel like I dodged a bullet.

I agree with @Gamma, this is the best course of action. Seriously Naniwa makes a great stone! My honing went to another level once o tossed my Norton’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate all the advise. I think the only issue with the Naniwa is they are extremely expensive at 300 for the same thing based on amazon prices. This is why i went for a reliable but cheaper set to learn on. Then I planned to sell them and upgrade after a year or 2 of usuage.

My recommendation would be to see what vendors are supported by B&B members and check prices there. I got shapton 1.5k from chefknivestogo.com and it was about half the price of amazon, and I was much happier to support that seller than one on amazon...or amazon itself. Especially at half the price :) (in no way am i affiliated with them, just had a good experience on one stone purchase)

What is in those clamshells for them to be intact and so much perimeter damage to be present? Seems like poor factory packaging and poor vendor packaging.

A starter set of Naniwas should not cost $300.
Pass on Amazon.

For example
At Sharpening Supplies dot com
These two are branded Specialaty Stones but they are identical to Super Stones
220 Grit - $21.60
3000 Grit - $37.60
Then in the S1 Super Stone line
1k - 37.00
8k - 66.00

So that's $162.20 for all 4 stones, and to be honest, you probably won't need the 220x but for that price it can't hurt to have it hanging around.

Things to note - they are all splash and go, no soaking. But they are the thinner Super Stones.

The Nani 8k is actually an 8k where the Norton 8k is really a 5k.

But I would definitely opt for this set to start,, these are the thicker Super Stones
1000 Grit - $52.00
3000 Grit - $62.00
8000 Grit - $77.00

Those are the thicker stones and the set runs 191.00. Unless you are going to be honing out big chips, the 220x isn't going to see much, if any, action. You can get it, and the inevitable 12k, later on if need be.

What is in those clamshells for them to be intact and so much perimeter damage to be present? Seems like poor factory packaging and poor vendor packaging.

Probably due to poor storage conditions, the edges and corners look like they've been exposed to many dry/humid cycles. Plus, I think they've been bounced around alot. There could be a few other factors involved too.

You can dress the sides by putting a bevel on them with a diamond plate or a rougher grit stone if you want. I voted for retuning them tho. Good luck!

I voted return and get a new set, but the one thing that I have to impress upon you is that honing is 100% preference. I prefer the idea of working with whetstones more than oil stones mostly because it seems like a better "zen" experience for me. if you make a mess with water the worst thing that happens is things get wet. I'm prone to making messes :)

as with everything on this website YMMV, but for ME, I went whetstones. After pricing things for a long time, I found a place that worked for me on price and reputation. Amazon is good at a lot of things, but prices on niche shaving stuff isn't necessarily one of them. The most important take away though, is take advice from people, but in the end do what YOU think will make you enjoy the experience more. it seems the poll is pretty evenly split. Remember what gamma said though, the visable damage may just be the tip of the ice burg. It's only a good deal to get 80 dollars off if there's not any further damage discovered down the road.

I cannot thank you all enough for each of your suggestions. I think I am going to return the Norton set and check out Sharpening supplies. I'm usually good about searching the net for prices, but when I saw the discount I was hoping the damage wasn't an issue as it hasn't been when I have bought things before. Often it is just the packaging. And so the adventure continues.....

Top Bottom