What's new

Norton Flattening "stone"

I have one of these in my kit. I heard rumors on these awhile back saying they aren't any good and shouldn't be used on hones to be used on razors.
Why?
Do they transfer grit?
Do they need to be lapped?
Can they be used on my coti or thuringen?
It seems awfully coarse... Would lapping improve this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's not that it's that they don't come flat and lapping dished stuff knocks a lapped one back out of flat necessitating getting it flat again to make sure what you flattened with it is flat... It's just obsolete when diamond plates exist.

It's not that it's that they don't come flat and lapping dished stuff knocks a lapped one back out of flat necessitating getting it flat again to make sure what you flattened with it is flat... It's just obsolete when diamond plates exist.
Would they scratch a coti or thuringen, or transfer grit if used to slurry?

K, thanks. In the drawer it stays. Maybe a use will come up for it.

Any suggestions for most bang for the buck diamond plate? What grit is common?

Thanks!

It's not a 1 size fits all equation really. If you have a lot of material to take off, a very low grit is advisable. I alternate between a 140x and a 400x Atoma. I perfer them over DMTs. But - they're 8x3" - if you want a 10x4 then you need a DMT, 220x/325x duofine was my choice there. I'd say the 325x DMT and 400x Atoma are, arguably, the most popular. I can't live without my 140x though...

Top Bottom