What's new

Norton 4k advice/replacement

Actually, your issue is more common than you think. If your stria from a 4k is deeper than the 1k, it is not coming from the 4k. 1k leaves 1k stria, 4k leaves 4k stria.

If you see deep 1k stria after 4k it is 1k stria that was never removed. The 4k polishes away all the light stria and now the deep stria is more visible, usually new guys see it after 8k.

Yes, much of honing is in your head, if you think you need a new stone, you probably do. I used to work with a guy, an avid golfer, who said he convinced his bride that there were only so many good shots in a set of new golf clubs. Once he used up the good shots, he needed to buy a new, “better” set.

Yea, I don’t think his wife was all that dumb. “What this old thing?”

Actually, your issue is more common than you think. If your stria from a 4k is deeper than the 1k, it is not coming from the 4k. 1k leaves 1k stria, 4k leaves 4k stria.

If you see deep 1k stria after 4k it is 1k stria that was never removed. The 4k polishes away all the light stria and now the deep stria is more visible, usually new guys see it after 8k.

Yes, much of honing is in your head, if you think you need a new stone, you probably do. I used to work with a guy, an avid golfer, who said he convinced his bride that there were only so many good shots in a set of new golf clubs. Once he used up the good shots, he needed to buy a new, “better” set.

Yea, I don’t think his wife was all that dumb. “What this old thing?”
LOL- that totally sounds like something my dad would try to pull on my mother.

Honestly I don't know how I've managed not to be swimming in a million different stones at this point, considering some of the frivolous purchases I've made regarding shaving hair off my face...

It's interesting though. This really hasn't been THAT big of a deal because I seem to have the most fun honing when I seem to hit a snag, or I'm not getting the result that I want. I feel like that original satisfaction in ACTUALLY getting a good edge consistently has worn off a bit and I'm in fact looking for a problem to justify getting a new rock to play with. You have an incredibly valid point about honing being in the head (well, mine in this case lol), and your point about stria that you made made me chuckle because that wasn't something that even crossed my mind.

Always learning/tinkering and playing. Your insight has been great and I thank you for taking the time to respond.

Right now my T.I., Aust, and GD have shave tested satisfactory edges on them and I'll make a point to wait a few weeks at least before noodling around with the stones again. I'll let the 4k rest and digest and hit it again with a fresh mindset.

GD TI.jpg

aust.jpg

Razor pics.

Realizing that the T.I. I pre-ordered earlier in the month is going to have Desert Ironwood scales and isn't going to fit into my inadvertent black scale theme I have going on haha. I'll have to spray paint it I guess. (kidding).

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have the Naniwa Pro/Chosera 3k and the Shapton gs 3k HR. I have not tried the 4k shapton because they do not recommend it for razors. It will probably work just fine since your are doing allot of work after this. Both of these 3k stones are grate in my opinion. They are probably just as fine, if not finer then the Norton 4k. I have not found a 4k i like yet. I have the Naniwa Hayabusa 4k, but this is on the softer side. It never really gave me anything the aforementioned stones could not offer.
If you like a coticule edge you can get really good result just by going from a 3k to the coticule with just a light slurry.
I never really liked the super stones, but allot of people seem to like them.
The SS are a known quantity and very easy to learn. For some reason the SS 3k underperforms the other grits but the rest are very good and they just work. I do find that once you get to the 1k level that stones, mostly because they need to be lapped, are a lot more work to use properly than lapping film. YMMV.

The SS are a known quantity and very easy to learn. For some reason the SS 3k underperforms the other grits but the rest are very good and they just work. I do find that once you get to the 1k level that stones, mostly because they need to be lapped, are a lot more work to use properly than lapping film. YMMV.
I only have the 8k and the 12k SS. They do perform well for razors and is easy to use. As i said, there is nothing wrong with these, but there is in my opinion better options out there, especially in the lower grit range.
I expect stones in the grit range below 5k to be more useful for other tasks as well. Honing knifes and tools on these stones is like rubbing steel on rubber. I feel the same for razors, but to a lesser degree.
They might be good value if you don't feel the need to buy new stones after you get more experience. Buying once is usually cheaper, even if you spend a little extra the first time.

please, hold the krylon.
Why not krylon? Will it affect the edge?

Hahaha- as much as I wanted to keep a black scale theme going I was able to snag a T.I. 7/8th half-hollow from PR at pre-order for $240. Can't wait to get it. No krylon shall be had, I assure you. :p

Never heard of Desert Ironwood before but danggggg that things sharp looking.

Still wish it was black though..
1644499828824.png

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom