What's new

Northwest Cutlery in Chicago

Anyone ever have a straight honed there? They have a sterling reputation as one of the best knife sharpeners in the country and many of the top chefs in Chicago (even the Japanese) have their knives done there.

When I was in the store recently, I noticed that they sell Dovo and TI straights, so I asked if they offer honing services. They said yes without thinking, but that it will take much longer than knife service--about 7 days to get the razor back.

Any experiences with their honing service? I have an 1890s Boker and an early 20th century W&B that I want to get shave ready.

I'd be careful. Honing a straight and honing a knife are very different beasts. I recall reading, somewhere on one of the forums, a horror story of a guy getting a cutlery store to hone his straight. They did it just like they would a knife - on a wheel and at an angle.

I'd be careful. Honing a straight and honing a knife are very different beasts. I recall reading, somewhere on one of the forums, a horror story of a guy getting a cutlery store to hone his straight. They did it just like they would a knife - on a wheel and at an angle.

I'm with the professor.

edit: Let me recount to you the horror story of the shop where I bought my first straight and the honing services they provided:

Ok, so it wasn't scary as a newb because I had absolutely no idea *** I was doing. In fact, I actually ruined a straight by taking it to an 800 grit stone thinking it would work. Waste of $40... Can't believe I bought that... Anyway, back to the story. So I go in to the shop and ask how to sharpen the straight. I get the response that "oh you need a ceramic stone or a black arkansas." I ask to see the what the guy who sharpens razors there uses and he pulls out a black Arkansas. Knowing a lot more now, that thing was maybe 6k grit. Probably would have given an acceptable shave, I'd maybe give it a C+ or C grade. Anyway, moral of the story: send it to a honemeister. They have waterstones.

Last edited:

+1

It's the same thing here. There's a little shop downtown who sells barber supplies like scissors, but they also sell Dovo straight razors. I asked the clerk if they honed straight razors and he said "Yes, in fact we have two or three razors to be honed. But be advised not to ask your razor to be honed very often, since the machine eats the metal of the blade each time you ask us to hone."

I put the word "machine" in bold red to emphasize the horror I felt when I heard this. Like you say, these shops hone a straight razor just like a scissor or a kitchen knife so stay away from these.

I would ask to watch them do someone elses before you let them touch yours.

Or have them do a Zeepk. It should hold the edge long enough to see how well they did the job.

...ask to see the what the guy who sharpens razors there uses and he pulls out a black Arkansas. Knowing a lot more now, that thing was maybe 6k grit.

I wouldn't want to shave off of 6K. Nor 10K for that matter. Life is to short to deliberately waste days on poorly/under honed straights.

...the machine eats the metal of the blade each time you ask us to hone."

:eek: Oh my, the machine?!? The horror!

There are plenty of honemeisters who will hook you up. Based on the other replies to your thread, I think the extra time involved is well worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the great advice. These are two very cool razors that I got incredible deals on, so I don't want them ruined.

I have a hunch that NW Cutlery is not simply going to put the razors onto the knife wheel, since they are charging a lot more, and requesting a lot more time, than to do a Wusthoff or Shun knife.

Thanks to your advice, I'm going ask them some very specific questions about their procedures. Any others would be greatly appreciated.

1. How often do you hone straight razors?
2. Will this be done by hand?
3. Do you use wetstones?
4. Will you be taking the razor through a progression of grits?
5. How high of a grit will you go to?

Will report back on the answers given. If they're not satisfactory, I'll send the razor off.

it takes 7 days becasue they are going to send it to another guy who will ruin your blade :eek:

how do I know?? been there, done that, please for the sake of your razor send it off.

the razor I let them sharpen came back with a huge wear spot in the middle of the spine, and none on the heel or toe (this was a brand new Dovo best), then they tried to tell me that my "cheaper dovo" (which I did not buy from them) didnt hold a good edge, so I should buy a TI, I left, and never looked back.

it takes 7 days becasue they are going to send it to another guy who will ruin your blade :eek:

how do I know?? been there, done that, please for the sake of your razor send it off.

the razor I let them sharpen came back with a huge wear spot in the middle of the spine, and none on the heel or toe (this was a brand new Dovo best), then they tried to tell me that my "cheaper dovo" (which I did not buy from them) didnt hold a good edge, so I should buy a TI, I left, and never looked back.

Wow! Thanks for the first hand experience. I won't even bother now and will send the boys off to one of the honemeisters recommended here.

I don't know what they are charging, but you could take them a razor you are less attached to. I guess I would be wary of handing over a good straight to be sharpened by someone who does not use one. The level of sharpness and refinement of the edge can really only be gauged by true straight shaver. I don't use my straights much, but I would be more comfortable with sending them to a reputable honemiester.

Top Bottom